“Amazing Sunday roast!”

The Botanist
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 21
Cuisines: Barbecue, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Formally No.15 Wine Bar, The Botanist offers a well stocked cellar of cask-conditioned ales, more than 70 bottled beers and ciders from around the world, a selection of finest Champagnes and an intriguing cocktail menu. Food comes in the form of a deli-style menu with rotisserie and barbecue. Owned and operated by the New World Pub Company, The Botanist is unlike anything else.
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend visited with our dogs. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout. We both ordered the vegetarian roast - it was so good!! One of the best meals we've had in a long time. Also recommend the creamy leek side dish. We will definitely be back!

Date of visit: August 2017
BotanistAE, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Hi Kimberley S,

So glad to hear you enjoyed our new Sunday Roast menu - it's been a huge success! Be sure to come back mid-week and try some of the other fantastic dishes we have to offer... we're famous for our hanging kebabs!

Many thanks for your glowing review,

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Not too impressed with this place, the food was not very good, the service was very average and the coffee was lukewarm and bitter.
I try to give constructive criticism if required so that improvements can be made, so here goes....
The decor was a bit too fake shabby chic, the china used for the coffee wasn't suitable, some meals were served on wooden trays, kebabs hanging on steel frames..... I don't get it, please just serve good food on a nice plain plate, let the food do the talking.
The food..... I had a calamari starter which looked a really mean portion on the plate it was a touch of seasoning away from being good, my main was the hake, the plate was awash with cooking water, I don't know if it was supposed to be a sauce.
It seemed a bit mean that any vegetables were charged extra for?
Didn't want a dessert so ordered coffee which took an age to arrive and wasn't hot and was bitter.
The service was very amateurish, we were asked to pass drinks and food down the table when the waiter could have easily walked around the table.
And to cap it all the bill was over by £40,
Sorry don't think I will be back.

Date of visit: August 2017
BotanistAE, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Hi 1twite,

Thank you for giving your valuable feedback and may I apologise to you in the first instance; we're really sorry to hear that your recent visit wasn't to our usual high standards. If you would be so kind as to reply with your contact details to simonjane@thebotanist.uk.com we will investigate as to what happened during your visit.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Greeted by enthusiastic and caring staff.
It was post-lunch rush with only 4 tables occupied.
We were quickly shown to our table by a young man and were kindly offered some water for the table.
Our waitress then appeared and proceeded to take our order.
As I felt like a beer she kindly recommended Passionate Blond to me and as this made my partner and I chuckle I ordered a pint. My partner ordered a gin and tonic. We then ordered the Deli Board to share.
About 5 minutes a bottle of water appeared at the table.
After approximately 15 minutes we still hadn't received our drinks. A quick enquiry with a waiter had the drinks at the table within a minute. However, Passionate Blond is no longer sold at The Botanist so I chose a pint of Wreckless.
The beer arrived and was excellent.
The food arrived and was excellent.
Having finished eating we opted for coffee but it was a while before we were able to order and when the coffees arrived they weren't ours. The correct coffees arrived after about ten minutes.
Despite the restaurant being quiet we then struggled to get our bill.
Like the coffee, it was wrong.
We had been charged for both a pint of Wreckless (fair enough I drank that) but we had been charged for a pint of Passionate Blond, despite having been told that they didn't sell this beer. Extremely frustrating.
We then waited a further ten minutes for the bill to be represented but it never was....
My partner, by now very annoyed as she had recommended The Botanist, went to the bar to ask if we could pay.
The bar staff apologised but the manager wasn't available to sort out the error on the bill.
Fortunately she used her initiative, brought a card reader over and subtracted the cost of the beer from the bill.
I'm sad to say that I didn't leave a tip. Probably the first time I have felt unable to tip in three or four years.

Sadly, despite the food and drink being very good, I can not recommend this establishment

Hi old8,

Reviewed 25 August 2017

4 of us went out to celebrate excellent GCSE results!! Table was booked for 7pm and we left at 10pm!!
Far too slow for the food that was served. Still waiting for drinks ti arrive!!
Not sure if the ipad system for ordering was causing the problem!
When we asked were our desserts were and after they obviously hadnt processed the order we were offered free drinks! Again we waited ages for them to arrive!
What should have been a nice evening turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. Poor service! although the food when it did arrive was very nice

1  Thank barbaraanndudley

Hi barbaraanddudley,

Reviewed 21 August 2017

The food was the star of the show. I had a pork belly hanging kebab and it was absolutely delicious. The cocktails were also first class, with a few really interesting and unique mixtures. I had a Gin Old Fashioned and it was very good.

Date of visit: August 2017
BotanistAE, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Thank so much for your review. The pork belly hanging kebab is amazing! We hope to see you again soon!