“Very comfortable with hospitable and friendly staff”

Oliver Twist Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Guyhirn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I would have to strongly disagree with all the negative comments posted. I am a regular business traveller at the Oliver Twist (weekly in fact) and have been since Sept 08. As a solo traveller I find the management very hospitable, friendly and accommodating, in fact they will pretty much cater for anything you may want. Breakfast times are flexible and the food plentiful.
The rooms are spacious and clean and the showers to die for!!! I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the Oliver Twist for good food, good wine and a good nights sleep!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 January 2009

We had booked our stay before reading the reviews as it was the nearest place to stay near our relatives.

I do not understand the negative comments made.

Here is a summary of what we found:

* Room - Large with lovely furniture and walk in wet room type bathroom - great! it was a very cold night but the room was plenty warm enough and the shower is one of the best I have experienced

*Bar & restaurant - Cosy old style with beams etc. Very friendly and chatty locals. The bar was busy on the Friday night and Saturday lunch we were there for

* Food - Quality! Had chicken off the special's board on Friday and lasagne on the Saturday for lunch. My husband had gammon on the Friday and fish & chips on the Saturday. Everything was made fresh which was a pleasant surprise as this is a small family run establishment. They even accommodated my husband's odd request for gravy with his fish & chips and it was not Bisto!!!

All in all for the price it was fantastic value for money and I would stay again and happily recommend to friends and family!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 17 March 2008

I stayed there for one night and found it very odd.
When I registered the manager immediately started addressing me by my forename - a bit too informal, I thought.
The rooms OK - nothing special - no 'phone or radio.
I went down to the bar for something to eat at 2.15 - only to be told by the manager sitting at the bar that "food's finished" - I couldn't get anything. I thought it would have shown a bit of willingness if he'd offered to make me a sandwich, but it wasn't to be.
My friends arrived at 5.45 to check in - and the place was totally locked up!! - I had to phone the manager from my room to let them in!
Dinner was good - I had a really good steak - but it was strange that ALL the items on the large dessert menu were cold.
Before we went to bed we enquired about breakfast for the next morning (Sunday) - and were told that the latest time it would be available was 8.45! - that's a bit early for me on a Sunday, especially after a heavy Saturday night!
Ordering breakfast was bizarre - there was this huge interrogation: how many rashers of bacon? - how many sausages - how many slices of toast? Now, I'd be willing to bet that nobody has ever been asked how many slices of toast they wanted before!
I have to say, though, that the breakfast was good, especially the lovely locally-sourced bacon.
As I said, it was all very odd. The cost for me as a single was £59 for B&B - not bad.
All-in-all, a bit of a curate's egg - I really felt that the manager could have been a bit more obliging, it seemed to me that he was running the hotel for his convenience rather than for that of his guests. I'd go back but only if the management was a bit more hospitable and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank southendbootboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guyhirn
8.7 km away
The Pearl Hotel
#1 of 27 in Peterborough
9.4 km away
The Old Vicarage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Oliver Twist Country Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK