“Burnt Breakfast”
Review of The Cape

The Cape
Ranked #3 of 65 Restaurants in Beaconsfield
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 38
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A quirky busy cafe with a South African/Cape Town twist, open 7 days a week for breakfast excellent coffee, lunch, Daily Deli specials, excellent sandwich's and afternoon tea and freshly baked cakes and other products, Relaxed Evening Dining at weekends (Friday & Saturday Evenings) The Cape transforms into a delightful bistro restaurant on Friday & Saturday evenings, offering good quality locally sourced products on a small but freshly prepared menu, we offer a small but well chosen South African wine list. Booking is advisable for the evening dinner experience
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I haven't visited The Cape for a couple of years, so on a recent visit to the town, decided to pop in for breakfast. It was a huge disappointment. First, the latte: luke-warm, weak and flat. The waitress explained that a Latte is always flat, but I protested that it wasn't in Prets, Bills, Pauls, Jamies, Gordon Ramsay's - to name a few brands, and not in any cafe I've visited in any other country. In fact, not even in Beijing!

Anyway, each to their own. She kindly frothed some milk up for me in a small jug, so I got over it.

Meanwhile, my breakfast must have been burning in the kitchen, with all the excitement. 2 hard boiled poached eggs later, accompanied by burnt bacon, sausage and banana (sounds strange, but actually banana was the saving grace), I decided I couldn't eat it. I did try. My daughter's french toast was burnt as well. I think whoever was cooking it in the kitchen, was either going for the BBQ-effect, or they just hadn't washed the pans properly in months. My mother in law has black pans and funnily enough, it all tasted a bit like her 'cooking'. That's not an endorsement...

This used to be a cafe that I visited daily, when I picked my daughter up from school when she was little. So, having long since left the area, we wanted to resurrect some fond memories. Now, she's a stroppy teenager - and, yes, she threw a strop. Let's just say, we won't be resurrecting any memories of our recent visit any time soon.

1  Thank Karen M

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Have enjoyed many great meals at The Cape. Not being local this was our first 'First Thursday". Tonights theme was fish & fizz. Fabulous food, lovely fizz, very attentive service and lively atmosphere.
Great night out

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We had dinner here tonight. It was great fun, champagne tastings and a five course dinner that was delicious from start to finish. Amazing food, wonderful service, just fabulous and very yummy.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The Cape does all the right things so effortlessly, it makes you wonder why so many other restaurants struggle to come anywhere close. Food - fresh, tasty, generous, well presented. Service - casually friendly, super-attentive. Ambience - informally stylish.

1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 28 March 2018

This is probably the best place in Beaconsfield New Town for lunch. It's often busy, and this is testament to its popularity.

1  Thank BucksRestaurants