“Gone”

BlueOrchid TakeAway and Lounge
Ranked #51 of 74 Restaurants in Amersham
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 53
Reviewed 6 September 2017

This restaurant has closed and has been split between Mad Squirrel tasting bar and an Indian takeaway.

Reviewed 18 June 2017

It's such a shame , a lovely restaurant with good customer service and scrumptious food has closed down! I hope you reopen in Amersham....

Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

The Blue Orchid is a long running Thai restaurant which sees a reasonable amount of eat in and takeaway trade. We visited for the first time in a long time on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The duck starter was tasty, if slightly dry to my taste, while the two main courses we chose (a grilled chicken dish & a massaman beef curry were both very good. A reasonably priced bottle of Uruguayan Viognier was particularly good value for money in a restaurant setting. We left satisfied with our evening out.

Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

Popped there for an intimate meal for two on a Saturday night, the service was impersonal like they couldn't care less and the food was shockingly bad. I ordered weeping tiger which should be a sizzling dish of steak bearing in mind it's £15 it came out on a cold plate tiny matchstick pieces of steak which was cold and so salty it was inedible I sent it back and ordered another steak dish so basically I think they just chucked that in a wok added half a bottle of soy sauce and gave it back to me! Never never again

1  Thank JaciP43
Reviewed 15 January 2016

I don't often write reviews but this time I had to. I normally go to Tom Yom across the road (Thai prepared by Thai staff and served by Thai staff) but as they opened later I couldn't wait. We went into the Blue (Sad) Orchid and one first thoughts it looked lovely. It was my wife's birthday. I think that as soon as they saw the kids they knew we were non drinkers and that meant less profit and so required less attention. The cheeky chappie in the tie normally comes and gives your napkins with a smile (I noticed this with other customers) but for us it was one of the uniforms with no smile or a napkin across the lap. Of course there were no high chairs. When the cheeky chappie finally came to get the order I could see it was not going to go well. "Sea Bass please". I said and before being able to explain the retort of "We have many sea basses sir?" which one do you want? I replied in a similar manner the "electic one". That was it the beginning of a terrible night. Moments later he came back with an apology that there was no sea bass as the delivery had not arrived. :). I said that we should leave to my wife but she didn't want the hassle to leave with two young children so we ordered Pad Thai. I have sampled thai food all over the world and the Pad Thai I got was with chicken that seemed to be added at the last moment too. It was Pad Chinese I think. The coconut rice was wolfed down by the kids as it was more like a dessert than a savoury dish.

The cheeky chappie had told me that he had been in Amersham for 10 years and didn't really need to worry about business - his way of confidently telling me to take a hike. Of course I did but I left in a pleasant manner and nodded to the arrogant p...... However, we went across the road to Tom Yom and ordered our sea bass and took it home. So people for an authentic Thai friendly experience go to Tom Yom. For an ostentatious holier than thou one go to these guys they will be nice to you if you show them the moneyyyyyy. Large groups of middle class English people with no children and a penchant for fine wine preferred by Blue Orchid. Any other demographic be warned.

One last thing - the restaurant sells Halal food and also sells alcohol - isn't that an oxymoron in a 'biblical' sense. Answers on a post card please from a learned Imam please.