“Friendly equestrian centre”

The Equestrian Centre - Shardeloes Farm
Reviewed 26 June 2016

My daughter went their for a few year learning to ride and was very happy about. The staff is very friendly and instructors are very good. The environment is also quite relaxing.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 December 2015

I have been riding at this stables for several years now and continue to be impressed by the range of horses available, as well as the quality of teaching available. In all the time I have ridden here I have only had one mildly disappointing lesson - the others (over 250 by now) have all been great - and that's been with a variety of different instructors over the years (and I am a relatively difficult client; I was already quite experienced when I first arrived).
The horses are carefully chosen and well cared for, and the centre trains both its own staff and clients for BHS qualifications, so there is a real interest in learning and a range of horses to suit everyone, including the more experienced rider, as these are needed for the BHS stage 3 exam and upwards.
But if you are not interested in exams, there is still plenty of fun to be had, whether in lessons on the flat or over poles, or hacking out. Guest instructors appear at regular intervals to keep things interesting, and there are opportunities to hire horses to compete at the centre. It is also possible to loan or share a horse or pony here, which is a great half way house if you are not quite ready for the commitment of full ownership.
With 3 arenas available for use, a good cross country course that is never over-used, and land available for hacking without having to cross any roads, this must be one of the county's best riding facilities.
As with all reputable equine facilities, you can't just turn up and ride here - due to safety and insurance requirements, there is paperwork and a riding assessment to be done first in order to make sure you end up on the right horse (which might be a mechanical one to start with if you haven't ridden before or for a while).

Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

I booked my teenage daughter 4 riding lessons at this riding centre never having been here before.
It's not cheap but everything was good quality - facilities (indoor and outdoor school), ponies full of pep and well groomed and the level of instruction.
My daughter really liked the experience and her riding really improved over the four days.
We will be back to have more lessons!

1  Thank Darren W
Reviewed 26 May 2015

What a lovely place. Free open day. Arrived at 11am as it had just opened. Took my 4 year old Grandson James. Free pony ride, free bouncy castle, free face painting. Only downside was leaving. As it is down a one track road the traffic coming and going was awful. Took us half an hour to get to main road.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was shocked by Quaxie's comment about the lack of things for advanced riders. Shardeloes has a great selection of horses for intermediate/advanced riders (they have staff training for BHS Stages 3 & 4) and, since I started riding there in March, I have received consistently fabulous instruction from Beth - varied, stretching & interesting but not at all patronising. Having ridden for over 25 years at various yards in Kent, Hampshire and Surrey (as I used to be a qualified riding instructor), I can honestly say their horses and facilities are miles better than at most of the BHS exam centres I have been to. The staff are all v friendly & helpful (especially Tracy on reception) and the whole place is run just as a yard should be - safely, efficiently and yet keeping a sense of fun. I guess Quaxie must just have had a bit of bad luck....