All reviews garden suite the main house morning yoga plunge pool owner kevin mayan spa belmond maroma el cielo ceviche bath products beautiful stretch of beach golf cart piece of paradise get away from it all thought of everything beach vacation concierge staff
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

We truly enjoyed our five nights at Hotel Esencia and can’t wait to come back.

The hotel is beautifully done, great attention to detail and design.

The service is exceptional, the staff pays attention to each guest and creates a very welcoming atmosphere. Special thank you to Malcom for the great service when my girlfriend and I celebrated a special occasion and Jonas for the breakfast service and Spanish classes :)

The spa is fantastic, we really enjoyed our treatments. Yoga class happens every morning on the deck and is really good!

If there is one thing to criticize it is the high prices for food and services which sometimes do not match the high standard of the hotel. For example, a private half-day tour to a cenote and the Maya ruins would have been USD750 through the hotel, we booked the tour independently for less than USD250.

Overall, we leave with great memories and would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HeretoTravel_2015
Kevin W, Owner at Hotel Esencia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Dear HeretoTravel,

First off I'd like to thank you for such a beautiful 5 star review. I'm delighted to know that you enjoyed your time with us! I will be sure to alert my staff (especially Malcolm and Jonas) to your kind comments. And of course our spa team as well.

I've looked into the pricing of our four-hour tour as it seemed rather high to me as well. All tour prices are set by third party operators we work with, they are not set by the hotel. According to my team you can indeed find tours of the cenotes and ruins here for $250 or even less, however being a 5-star property we are extremely careful to connect our guests with the best tour operators we know. Based on previous feedback from our guests, the discount tour operators don't always have the nicest cars and they may bring tourists to public cenotes which are crammed with other tourists whereas our guides offer a more luxury experience, with private exclusive access to some of their favorite secret swimming spots. Some discount tours are even done with taxis, versus the luxury SUVs we offer, and some guests are required to bring or rent their own snorkeling or diving equipment. On the other hand the tour operators we normally work with provide not only a highly experienced driver and new luxury SUV but also a government licensed english speaking guide. They also provide snacks and soft drinks as well as all of the necessary snorkeling or diving equipment at no extra charge. Of course I completely understand that sometimes some of our guests would rather save some money and be a bit more adventurous! Our concierge team is always happy to provide the full range of options.

Regarding our food prices, for maximum savings I recommend our meal plan option at $150/day per person which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, room service, and soft drinks. This is always a great value, especially for those guests who plan to have most of their meals here at the resort in one of our three restaurants.

In any case I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to provide your feedback here and I hope we have the pleasure of a return visit one day!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

My partner and I just got back from a one week stay in a jungle suite with plunge pool and we loved the place and the people! Owner Kevin and food & beverage manager Malcolm were frequently on-site keeping an eye on things, and all the staff were extremely friendly and great at their jobs. In particular, morning yoga with Esmerelda was a highlight, and restaurant staff members Alan and Damien (beach service) were consistently wonderful. In retrospect we probably would have preferred a room with a beach view, because we didn't end up using the plunge pool very much. We preferred spending time by the main pool (heated to a perfect temp) and on the beach. The beach, which is lovely, is made even better by the always available palapas and comfortable lounge chairs. Hotel staff did a great job removing seaweed every day as well, ensuring this isn't a problem for Esencia guests. Went to the spa for excellent massages, and used the uncrowded and well air-conditioned gym a couple of times. We would stay here again without hesitation! It ticks the right boxes of small, stylish, personable and so much more.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BosTrav

Dear BosTrav,

A pleasure to read your lovely review! We are a small family hotel and take a lot of pride in what we do here and it's always a joy to know that our guests notice all the little details.

I will be sure to pass your thanks along to Alan, Damien, Malcolm, Esmerelda, and the others.

Next time I hope to see you back here in one of our Beach or Ocean suites!

Thanks so much for taking the time out of your day to post your comments here.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

This charming hotel is nestled in the jungle, about half way between Tulum and Playa Del Carmen.

It is a place to get away from it all, although there are a surprising number of families (perhaps due to the generous room layout, which allows a second king bed in the sunken living room of a standard room.). You cannot walk anywhere from the hotel, in fact they whisk you from the front entrance in a golf cart to your room. The rooms are mostly nestled in the jungle, and most have plunge pools, there are a few villas too and I believe they are adding oceanfront accomodations (which it rather lacks now).

On site are two medium size pools and two restaurants and a series of beach cabanas on the very private beach. The food is excellent but, to my mind, overpriced. My first day I had edamame dip with root vegetable, a bowl of gazpacho and bottled water. I was bit surprised at the ~$50.00 bill for my meal alone (USD). I imagine it is difficult to run these restaurants for such a small census and little or no outside customers. The spa also offered excellent massages -- at prices that rival midtown Manhattan.

The staff can arrange various tours, such as swimming with the turtles. Everyone is friendly and efficient. The place it spotless and designer touches are everywhere.

To my mind the real question is whether seclusion/isolation at Esencia is more your style than being in the heart of things, like one is along the beach in Tulum. If the former, I can't imagine one would do better than Esencia.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank 6ContinentsNCounting

Dear 6ContinentsNCounting,

On behalf of all of us here at Hotel Esencia, a million thanks for taking the time to post your feedback here.

We are indeed located on a quiet bay "away from it all" on the most beautiful white sand beach however just 20-30 minutes from the bustling center of Tulum or nearby Playa del Carmen. Many of our guests like to plan at least one day or night off-property as there's lots to see and do in the region including underground rivers, Mayan temples, nature parks, amusements for families, and of course endless possibilities in the sea right off our own beach including kayaking, snorkeling, paddle boarding and sailing, all complimentary.

We are extremely careful that our spa and restaurant prices are consistent with other luxury hotels in the region, if not lower. I generally recommend that our guests sign up for our "meal plan" option which for $150/day per person includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks at the beach, our juice bar, room service and all soft drinks. I'm pleased to hear that you found our food to be excellent, and you're right, it's not terribly economical to provide world class dining in our remote location for less than 80 guests. Our chef buys only the best products from local farms and fishermen; everything fresh and made in house, nothing bottled, canned, or frozen (except our homemade ice cream of course).

Thanks so much for choosing Hotel Esencia for your recent holiday. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed it!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My recent stay at Hotel Esencia was incredible. I couldn’t have been more pleased with the beautiful surroundings, the amazing accommodations, service, culinary expertise, pool, spa and all that the amazing property offers.
I brought my children who enjoyed the spoils of the chocolate massages, the hospitality of the hotel personnel, right down to the activities that were plentifully offered.
The property was spotless. Upon arrival we were taken via golf cart to our villa surrounded by beautiful wildlife, serene sunsets, a gorgeous beach creating enjoyable memories for years to come. I would highly recommend a stay at the magnificent Hotel Esencia!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank ccochranelias

Dear ccochranelias,

You are most kind to provide your lovely feedback here -- thank you so much!

We love to spoil our guests here, especially all of the children who delight in our famous "chocolate massages".

Every review means so much to us. I will be sure to alert my team to your kind comments.

We sadly did not have the chance to meet. I hope we will have the pleasure of a return visit one day!

Reviewed 28 March 2018

We stayed here 10 days with our two kids (13 yr old twins) and it was just perfect. The service simply does not get any better and the location is exquisite. We likely will be returning next year. Thank you Esencia!

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank James A
Kevin W, Owner at Hotel Esencia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Dear James A,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and as always we truly appreciate your comments and feedback. We are a small family business and I am so proud of each and every one of my employees. I'm delighted to know that they provided you with five star service!

I'm especially pleased to hear that you would consider returning as that is truly the highest compliment.

Owner & CEO