“Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!”

Taberna de los Frailes
Ranked #16 of 105 Restaurants in Valladolid
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 16
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Calzada de los Frailes y el Convento de San Bernardino de Siena
Description: Renown Gourmet Maya Cuisine. Large wine selection. Tequila and Mezcal. Specialty cocktails. Excellent service in a most unique location and ambiance.
London, United Kingdom
“Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We came across this marvellous restaurant on an evening stroll. The food was all excellent, the setting was beautiful and staff friendly and helpful. They spoke good English but were willing to play along with my attempts at Spanish! Absolutely no surprise to see the Taberna doing so well on trip advisor so I'll simply echo what everyone is saying: this is the best place to eat in Valladolid.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank rsm45
, Owner at Taberna de los Frailes, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
We loved to have you with us! , From all of us ¡Muchas Gracias!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Czech first
New York City
“Believe the hype: high-end cuisine at an affordable price!”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I just visited Valladolid for the 2nd time, and based on TripAdvisor reviews I stopped in at Taberna. The service was excellent from the start. The waiters are perfectly attentive and friendly; they're available exactly when they're needed but they also don't hover over you. All of our questions were answered and our drinks came out in no time. We were exhausted and parched so we simply drank beer, but the cocktails being served at another table looked amazing. We were blown away by our two appetizers, the grilled watermelon (two warm slabs with a layer of cheese, tomatoes and seasoning in between), and three skewers of beef, chicken and shrimp stuck into grilled pineapple, with some amazing garnishes (guava among them.)

For apps, I had the famous Relleno Negro: turkey stuffed with pork and hard-boiled egg, rolled up and sliced over this amazing pepper sauce. It was INCREDIBLE.

My father ordered a dish of grilled fish served over rice and he said it was one of the best entrees he's ever eaten. It was nicely presented in three large chunks each on their own mini-mountain of rice. The fish was so flavorful, I was momentarily jealous that I didn't order it!

The desserts were equally refined; homemade passionfruit ice cream, and an interested take on crème brûlée with extra thick candy-like top layer.

The price was totally affordable for the amount of food, the flavor, the overall service and the atmosphere: did I mention we sat under a beautiful palapa beside an inviting garden?

5+ stars! The must-eat restaurant of Valladolid, without a single doubt.

, Owner at Taberna de los Frailes, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for reviewing your experience at Taberna de Los Frailes. We hope to serve you and your friends again, if you come through Valladolid in the future.
Valladolid, Mexico
“First Class Experience”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My husband and I had a lovely evening at Taberna. It is housed in a simple, understated structure. The aha moment comes when you enter and sense the tranquility of this intimate space. This aspect alone is so strong, it beckons my return. Our evening started with drinks and an appetizer in the serene lounge area. The cheese sticks and dipping sauce were amazing! I had to order a second drink just to be sure I could give it an excellent rating! We then moved to the palapa for dinner. Five large, lightly breaded coconut crusted shrimp, with hints of mango and tamarindo, were beautifully presented on separate skewers in a slice of grilled pineapple. It was something special!. The cheesecake for dessert was the perfect way to end the meal. The service was immpeccible, The waiters were professional, friendly, and attentive. They made us feel very welcome in this beautiful restaurant.

1 Thank Rebecca A
, Owner at Taberna de los Frailes, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank You! It's been a pleasure serving you.
Prescott, Arizona
“"The best diner”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is June in Valladolid. There are not many visitors and I was one of two tables. I was served by a delightful young man that practiced his English while I practiced my Spanish. He was clearly proud of his town and all that it had to offer. The meal had an excellent presentation and the mojito was off the charts good!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Kathy76117
, Owner at Taberna de los Frailes, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience!
kansas
“Must do Restaurant”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

After a stroll along the Calzada de los Frailes with it's Chocolote museum mini-tour and tasting and after a personl tour of the Convent de San Bernadino this is an absolute must. We were blown away by the service, quality and decor. It was just my wife and I and we spend $35 U.S on a coupld of beers and a couple of mojtos along with their fried watermelon and two great entrees. One with chicken and another with pork. I'm not a romantic but this made me think it. Eat, drink and enjoy!

, Owner at Taberna de los Frailes, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank you! We appreciate your comment.