“Relaxing Time at Tropicante”

Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill
Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Mahahual
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mahahual’s premier ocean front dining experience. A unique cultural and culinary blend of the best of Mexico and the US. Our food, music and ambiance combine the tastes and flavors of both of these two wonderful countries. We are located on the Malecon right in the center of the downtown beachfront. We offer comfortable inside dining as well as tables in the sand, just a few steps from the beautiful clear Caribbean waters. Best food and conversation in town!
Massapequa Park, New York
“Relaxing Time at Tropicante”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We went to Tropicante when our ship docked in Costa Maya. I had contacted Steve prior to our arrival and he had reserved 2 loungers and 2 adirondack chairs for us. Jorge was our waiter and we had excellent service all day. The food and drinks are very reasonable and cooked well. Steve told us how to get a cab to his spot on the beach and all went very smoothy and uneventful. My suggestion is to leave the cruise port and tell the inside drivers you are going to the Hard Rock Cafe, outside the port. Right outside the Hard Rock is an Official Taxi Stand, The cabs costs less per person and they will take you directly to Tropicante. Here you will find Steve. He is an excellent host on a most beautiful, unspoiled stretch of beach. Thanks for a great day.

2 Thank DaynaB
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Armada, Michigan
“Miss the Tropicante and you missed the boat.”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Steve has put together the winning combination for a relaxed and unpretentious beach front bar and grill. The service was fast, the drinks smooth and the cerviche tasty. The prices were fair, almost too low to be believed. I understand now why ships' crew go the Tropicante if they can get off the ship. All that was missing was a parrot making risque' double entendre quips to the more elderly female patrons. This is NOT the corporate "fast food" equivalent of a beach front bar; you know what I'm talking about.

The Tropicante is the "real deal".

North Carolina
“Tropicante - a nice place to spend the day when in port of Costa Maya, Mexico”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had not researched what to do when Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas docked in Costa Maya on February 1, 2012, but we were fortunate that our new friends and tablemates on the ship had read reviews about Tropicante and had emailed ahead for beach lounge chairs. They assured us that two more in their party would be o.k. Steve, the American owner/operator, had given our new friend detailed instructions in an email on where to get a taxi outside the port area. The fare was $8 (1 to 4 persons) and it was a short drive into the small commercial area near the beach. We had no trouble finding the Tropicante and Steve. We were ahead of most of the passengers on our ship that morning so there were plenty of beach chairs for us to choose from. Steve spent some time with us telling us about the area and generally making sure we were comfortable. The service was great, beer cold and cheap, food very good (fish tacos) and they even brought a table and chairs right out to the beach where we were lounging so we didn't have to move to eat lunch! There was quite a bit of Atlantic seaweed in the water that day that was very unusual, but Steve had several young men raking the seaweed up to haul away in wheel barrows, so the sand was raked and clean. The water was cool and clear, but it wasn't a hot day, so we didn't do much more than wade waist deep. There were some people fly fishing a little further out in the surf and some others snorkeling. The place got a little more crowded as the morning progressed, but the service seemed to keep up with the customers. There were a few vendors hawking their wares and we said "No gracias" enough in the beginning that they really didn't pester us about not buying anything. All in all, Tropicante is a nice, tranquil place to spend the hours in port in Costa Maya for very little money.

1 Thank ECP_1947
Tampa, Florida
“Steve, we want to come back!!!!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Oceanfront Malecon in Mahahual is a strip of beach bars and restaurants, all with their own "beach", beach chairs and menus. If you have to walk down the Malecon without knowing exactly where you are going it is just like walking through the Ports and being hounded by every merchant. My wife and I got to Tropicante early one morning while cruising on the Jewel of the Seas. You have to be very careful in Costa Maya when catching a cab. We walked out of the port, through the gate & into "town" to catch a cab. Got a little exercise, saved a couple of bucks and most importantly got dropped off right by the restaurant. Steve, the owner, and I had exchanged emails prior to traveling and he provided us with some very useful information. We did make a reservation with him and we were glad we did. Upon arrival we were taken right to our beachfront lounge chairs and umbrella. No charge for any of this. We had our first beer at 10:01am. We tried to make it by ten but, well, too long at breakfast I guess. The rest of the day was like being at the beach with your best friends. Steve was kind enough to come over and spend some time with us and it was nice getting to know him. If you are visiting his place and traveling from the US, he will be thrilled if you could bring him your most recent Sunday paper and maybe a copy of Time or Newsweek or both. Probably a free beer it in for you. The view is great, the beer is cold, the people are fantastic and the service was excellent, really excellent. My wife and I both did the hour massage and it was wonderful. It was less than half what you would pay in the states but don't forget to tip! The wait staff tips are not shared with the nice ladies giving you the massage. If you visit here, please DO NOT buy from the local "vendors" roaming the beach. Steve has tried very hard to keep these bothersome peddlers out of his beach area. That made the visit even better. If you like your food spicey, ask for some habanero sauce on the side. Hey Steve, I need you to give me that recipe again, for some reason I cannot remember it. HA! This is a fun and very inexpensive place to visit. I think I spent more in tips than I did on food and drink. But that's OK, because we want to be pampered again when we go back, and we will be back. Thank you to everyone at Tropicante!!!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Magicman1000
Texas
“A Little Slice of Heaven”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Arrived in Costa Maya on Friday the 3rd to a wild rain storm. Still tried to make our beach club down south but it was really bad. After a 30 minute ride down the rough beach road the wife wanted to go back to the ship for the day. I had been conversing with Steve via e-mail for a while about spending the afternoon at his place so once my bride was back aboard and safe from the storm I called Steve and he said they were open and come on down. I jumped a taxi with two young ladies off a different ship and talked them into going with me to the Tropicante. A short cab ride and there we were. The streets were flooded and not too much was going on in Mahahual but the Tropicante had a few adventurous folks. We ordered drinks and I asked the waiter to go get Steve so we could meet cause we are both Texans and from the same area, Dallas. He came right out and sat down with me and my two new friends and the fun began, we had shots and chips and guacamole, cevechie and tacos and more tequila! It was great and I especially enjoyed talking about all of Steve's plans and projects. He has a concierge service and rooms which can be rented. I could really see the potential in this little village for some real quality relaxation and solitude. I am going to keep this little slice of heaven in my future travel plans but not off a boat, Thanks, Steve, hope to see you again some day.