“Nice stay,but understandable why some complain”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend from August 29-Sept 5 2011. That is the time to go if you don't want it to be too crowded! The resort was so nice and quiet, but there were still enough people around so it wasn't dead and boring. It is about a 1 - 1 1/2 hour drive from the airport.

ROOM - Very nice and spacious. Yes, the tub takes 30 - 45 minutes to fill. Yes, the pressure in the shower is not very good. Yes, the bedding isn't the best. These things did not bother me, but I can understand they would bother some people. One thing that did bother me is the spiders in our room on the first day. I think our room hadn't been cleaned for a while, because after the first day, when housekeeping started coming, we didn't see anymore bugs in our room. Our mini bar was re-stocked everyday except 1, but we never finished the drinks anyway. Bed was very firm but I thought it was very comfortable.

POOLS - The "quiet pool" was amazing! My boyfriend and I were the only ones ever in the pool, and there were maybe 4 people that would sit around the pool and read. Again, if you have the chance to go during the "down" season, you should go. We weren't really interested in the activity pool, it was more crowded, had a swim up bar, quite a few children and loud staff trying to get guests involved in activities. We stayed in room 1818, building 18 is right next to the activity pool, but we never heard any noise in our room. The lazy river was great too, we went on in at least 10 times a day. Maybe 3 or 4 kids and a few adults used it.

BEACH - I have stayed in Cancun before, as well as Aruba twice, and this beach is not good compared to those beaches. It's not bad by any means, but it's not soft white sand with clear, blue calm water. Personally I enjoy those types of beaches better. This beach did have a lot of rocks and corral. We didn't wear any shoes in the water, and it was difficult to walk in because of the corral. We had a blast watching and feeding the fish though.

FOOD - I will admit I am a picky eater, so I did not like the food that much. Breakfast was great, I loved the crepes and french toast. Honestly I think the fruit was a joke, it was terrible. Lunch was the worst. All I ever had was salad and tortilla chips. Dinner wasn't bad, and sometimes they had theme nights. The italian theme was great, with made to order pasta. Like I said, I am a picky eater, especially when it comes to meats, so I just avoided most of them. But you will always be able to find something to eat. My boyfriend loved the food. For a la cartes, we ate at the cajun, which was average, the italian which had very good pasta, and the japanese which was very good as well. The snack bar by the beach was limited, with just salad and nachos. The ice cream shop was good, and I enjoyed many hot chocolates from the coffee shop.

ENTERTAINMENT - We enjoyed drinks in the lobby bar every night. We just liked to sit and relax. There was a man playing the saxophone one night, and the entertainment staff were teaching my boyfriend and I how to salsa dance.. very fun. We went to the Chicago show but ended up leaving, as well as the international show. The shows start at 9:30 pm. They are just average, nothing special, but then entertainment staff does try very hard to make sure everyone has a good time.

EXCURSION - After narrowing down our choices from our rep (We went with Air Canada Vacations) we decided to go on "Coba: The Mayan Experience." It was a full day trip. We drove for about 1 hour through a Mayan Villiage, went zip-lining, rappelling into a cenote (underground swimming hole), canoeing, ate lunch, then went to see the pyramids in Coba. We paid about $100 each. A fun way to spend a day.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about time share people, and staff asking them to upgrade. My boyfriend and I are young (24 and 22) so we weren't approached by anyone. The woman at the desk asked if it was our honneymood and if we would like to book a special dinner, and we simply said no and it was fine.
Staff was very friendly, always smiling and saying hello. We stopped to ask a guy on a golf cart where the cajun restaurant was, and he even drove us there. No complaints with the staff.
The resort is large, and depending on where your room is you might have to walk for 5 or 10 minutes to the beach. The spa and disco were quite far so we didn't go.
The grounds were beautiful, there were always staff walking around cleaning.
Overall we had a great time. The total for our trip was around $2200, and we would go to this resort again if we saw it for a better price, but we would rather try somewhere else if we were going to pay that price or more. We are young and this was our first trip together, so we really didn't let anything bother us (except the spiders for me!) but I can understand how people may find small things annoying. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 18, right next to activity pool. 5-6 minute walk to quiet pool and lazy river, 5...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Angela B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

2 weeks of bliss spoiled rotten by the great staff and awesome food, the views were out of this world would love to go bk!

• Stayed: August 2011
7  Thank 2,32,356
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I travelled with my boyfriend to this resort the week of Feb 16 - 23 and it was amazing. The weather the whole week was 29+ with minimal clouds. If you're like me then reading reviews is a major part of your trip planning. We had booked this trip then I came online and read reviews and was slightly worried, but I took them with a grain of salt. I am telling you to ignore all those bad reviews. Yes, there are people who will complain about the smallest thing, but you can't let little details ruin your trip!
The rooms are very spacious and very nice. We did have a hole in the wall, but the toilet and shower have door and are enclosed, so you do have privacy. Our toilet did start to leak one day, but we called and they were there to fix it right away. The mini fridge was always stocked and the room was well cleaned.
The food on the resort was good. There were always so many options to choose from. You never got bored of eating the same thing. Also, the dinner buffet had different nights such as italian, so I would suggest booking your a la cartes around those. The beach bar had delicious wings! We did the italian, steakhouse, and mexican and the italian wasn't as good as the others. The steakhouse was our favorite.
We spent a lot of time at the beach and the mayan beach pool. The pool had entertainment from 10-4 everyday which was fun. They had tequila volleyball, water polo, bingo, etc. There was also a quiet pool if you don't want music or entertainment. The entertainment team was amazing.
The ice cream shop and lazy river are a must!
The drinks were amazing there, they had a large selection of drinks. Also, if you're Canadian they make Caesars!
Yes, there is a little bit of a walking, most reviews over exaggerate it but there are always golf carts going by that you can get a ride to where you're going.
I would highly recommend that you bring snorkel gear and grab a banana from the buffet because there are plenty of fish to see. Also you can take a cab to Akumal beach, or go with the guys on the beach who sell snorkeling, parasailing, and scuba diving for $40, and they will take you to the beach. They guide you around and we seen plenty of sea turtles and stink rays as well as a lot of fish !
I would definitely recommend going to Coco Bongo! It was AMAZING. We've never seen nothing like it. It is a night club with over 30 shows a night, impersonations, acrobatics, etc. SO worth the 100 VIP!!! MUST DO!
Overall, we had a great experience and would definitely come back to this resort!

Room Tip: Kajun Building it was a smaller building. We were on the third floor and never heard anyone our whol...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Catherine C
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Spent a great two weeks there. Food good staff very friendly. Rooms nice and clean. Beach ok. Pool area amazing. Entertainment good. Would go again

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank Loodie07
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Room was very dated old smelled of mildew beds old and uncomfortable horrible bedding. Staff was. Pleasant but too few too keep up with demands. took forever to get a drink. Food was not great buffet not replenished timely. I would not return to this resort.

• Stayed: February 2012