“Just back from Coba today here is my review” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Scotland
“Just back from Coba today here is my review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Hi all sorry for the length if anyone would like any questions answered please just ask.
We arrived 2 adults 1 child (10) at the GBP Coba 18th June for 2 weeks second time at GBP but stayed at Tulim first time, we contacted Felix before we arrived and asked for a room central and to book our a la cartes of which he did and promptly. Thank You
On entering our room the smell was stale and damp very bad to be honest but we were central so thought get rid of the smell it should be fine, we where in 33009 bottom floor balcony looked on to a bush the size of the building the sun does not touch the bottom balconies and the view is of ants,spiders,beasties in the balcony it was like something out of a wildlife show, no clothes got dry due to humidity and no sun hitting the balcony, you couldnt/wouldnt sit out in the balcony as if you did you will be bit to death, we kept the door shut and locked after fighting with the lock for 10 minutes daily. The maid opens both main door and balcony door daily to clean the room and low and be hold the room had mosquitos every night and day, my family couldnt understand why we received so many bites until one night I killed 4 and we still woke up with 3-4 new bites each in the morning. We eventually went to the chemist bought a spray for the room and sprayed it nightly which certainly helped wished we had thought of this the first week but we had bands lifesystem 100+ deet and nothing helped. It rained a few days so mosquitos were out in force and anyone not getting bit must be very lucky. To be fair we should have asked to be moved right away but my wife broke her ankle at xmas so walking distance was a bit tricky, it really ruined it for us which was a shame, I never saw the hotel fumigated apart from one hedge and I saw a worker outside the lobby one day that was it. Last visit it fumigated a lot the whole complex and they also supplied wipes.
Was this due to it being quite season the music bar was shut the first week and all the other guests for some reason come to coba at night the rainy nights obviously force you indoors therefore no seats tables you were left to sit on the floor,stairs or stand listening to karaoke, they closed the lobby bar at 11pm only 30 minutes before its meant to but then you have to go to the hacienda or the 24hr snack bar no thanks we tried once each the hacienda is to rowdy and the 24 snackbar was to loud and not ideal to sit for another hour with my 10 yr old son, 5 star hotel standards NO CHANCE, we went the other way and went to Akumal for a meal and went into the music bar it was empty tables and chairs galore but then that was open, so we thought the following night at Coba would be better nope the exact same very busy but no seating again and music bar closed.
Locals come in there 100s at the weekend best of luck although they were never any bother and there for a break the same as everyone else. The food we ate was very good and that was from the a la cartes to the buffett to the snack bars daily, you should not go hungry and the alcohol was fine also but the thing that does get on my nerves is queues you know the ones we stand in and the ones others dont care about some bar staff notice and try and serve you in turn but most if you speak spanish will serve you first. I will say that the staff at the poolbar at the quiet pool excelled themselves and a couple of them went that extra mile so thanks to you guys,
Sadly and I could go on and on but it would not be praising the place much at all, I believe it is Sian Kian that is the special place for the greater better holiday and I think sadly the rest is going down hill quite rapidly, we have been to 4/5 gran bahia hotels around the world and never noticed this but we believe they have there sights set higher and the Tulim,Akumal,Coba are and will suffer even more and my wife and I have decided what they offer for the price and the 10hr flights from the UK is not worth it so unless something miraculas happens with the Mexican group we wont be holidaying in the area ever again but we will maybe try elsewhere in Mexico.

Room Tip: Make sure the sun enters your room or your clothes will be damp wet or soaking for the duration of y...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Freedom3
, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear 'Freedom3',

While sending a warm greeting on behalf of everyone at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba, I would like to deeply and sincerely thank you for sharing with us the incident described in your feedback.

We are very sorry about the situations you describe in your comment related to Housekeeping and Food and Beverages. We will review this with the responsible Managers in order to review their operations and improve their performance immediately. Let me guarantee you that we take your comment very serious and that we do our very best to improve those issues. Last but not least it is important to me to outline the fact that my team and I are working hard to ensure our guest's satisfaction, every day and that we are confident on being able to further improve our services and products. Therefore on site communication between our hotel staff and our guests has priority in order to share impressiones, opinions and suggestions.

We do would enjoy your trust and loyality again and will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Gran Bahia Principe Coba
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,542)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We have just returned from Coba and the resort is lovely but far too large for us and way too many kids. This resort has lots of activities which we don't utilise but are great for families with children or young couples.
Pros: Food is very good, one of the best buffets we have been to in Mayan. Rooms are very large. Lots of choices of pools. As people have said, the beds are firm, but we found them comfortable still.
Cons: You literally have to take the shuttles everywhere or you will get lost as the grounds are so large, so if you like to walk forget it. Line ups to get into the buffet and get a table, not my idea of a holiday. $5 charge per day for the room safe, REALLY?!!! Ran out of Tea the second day for 3 days, and then ran out of anything but Decaf for the last 3 days (we usually bring our own but forgot, and thought it not a problem as it was 5 star). We went to Coba pools (there's 3) the first 2 days. Problem was, it was June and so hot and when we went to the pool bar for a drink, we stood in line behind at least 6 kids (no joke) to get a drink. Only one bartender at each bar, and they were busy making kids drinks, heating up baby formula or pouring diet cokes. If it's all inclusive im not sure why they dont have a self serve station for non alcohol items, but we attended 3 bars to try our luck, only to find it filled with kids getting virgin drinks, very frustrating! We went to the pool at 9 am only to find every chair taken with tshirts and towels. So Coba plays the towel game. We tried Tulum the next day (the adjacent resort) and they have signs up that say, "no reserving lawn chairs". People actually respected the signs and we had no problem getting a lawn chair the following days, nor did we have children at the bar. We ended up going to Tulum every day.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nani-Ke-Ola-
Dear '24corona',

On behalf of the entire team I would like to express my appreciation for you taking your valuable time to provide us with your feedback.

I also would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the incidences you experienced during your vacation. We already reacted on your comment and have improved our staff situation at the buffets and bars.

Referring sunbeds I would like to take this opportunity to inform you about the fact that we are currently operating 6000 sunbeds which are exceeding the maximum possible capacity of our resort's guests. In addition to that I would like to outline that on any not-returned beach/pool towel upon check out there is a charge of 20 USD. Last but not least please allow me also to point out that we have our Public Area Department staff making their rounds every day in order to collect unattendant towels.

Once again I would like to express you our 'Thanks' for your comment. Any hotel needs feedback to continously keep improving their standards and our in particular is having daily meetings to discuss each mentioned concern. Therefore 'Thank you' very much.

We would love to welcoming you back to our hotel again, and for now we wish you a safe stay back home.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We spent 2 weeks at Gran Bahia Coba in June 2012 for a destination wedding. The wedding turned out wonderful. Everything went well and we had a wonderful time.

The resort is huge as it comprises of 4 resorts in one. So large in fact that trams are used to get you from one venue to another. The resort grounds are kept immaculate as are the common areas, public washrooms and the rooms themselves.

We had a ground floor room that had us a little concerned for security and for critters. The room had a safe, but for the first time in our expirience, there was a charge of $5 U.S. a day for the safe lock. Thankfully the AC worked as we kept the patio window closed at all times. There were a number of different insects on the patio at any one time, and we had a visit from a snake, one evening, that was at least 2 meters in length.

Better signs on the pathways would help. We got lost a few times. After a while we got the lay of the land.

Food was typical all inclusive buffet. Alcohol and beer was of better quality than most places
with familiar brands being served. A downside at the main buffet was running the guantlet of
timeshare sales persons who worked for the resort. A little cheesey for a resort of this caliber.

Depending on your personal preferences, we found the resort too big and isolated for our taste. You can take a taxi into Playa del Carmen if you wish, but it is a little pricey at $35 U.S. one way. We took the shuttle bus that you catch on the highway and it only cost 35 pesos each one way.

One last thing, we normally go to Mexico in February/March. For us, June was way too hot.
The humidity goes up and the "Feel like" temperature was in the 40's C.

Room Tip: Try for a unit that is in the middle of the various pools and the main buffet area.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SubDirectorGBPC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear 'Bill S',

First of all I would like to thank you for your time and for the effort you put into your comment.

We are appreciating your cooperation and will be taking care of your mentioned comments.

Please do not hesitate to contacting us again,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed in the Bahia Pricipe Tulum Mexico from 13th June to 27th June with my husband and family. We used Thomas Cook Travel agents. If you decide to go chose your agent wisely! Transfer time is approx 2 hrs. Our first impression was good, however as we are well travelled especially in the caribbean not excellent. Check in took around 45minutes, We were taken to our rooms which were extremely spacious, very clean and adequate for a 2 week holiday. There were towels and hotel branded toiletries provided. There are 2 double beds to a room and they are comfy. Airconditioning is pointless not working well., Shower leaked constantly. As the week went on the housekeeping got worse somedays there were no towels left (used taken no clean left behind) the beds were not changed regularly. The staff at the Bahia Principe are friendly enough you get better treatment if youu tip well! During our stay we ahd a couple of days heavy rain which was no problem apart from the roof area in the lobby, bar and restaurant were leaking horrendously and let me tell you water on shiny marble floors is hazardous its was like a lake I say this without exaggeration. I fell and broke my wrist, the hotel were marvellous especially Mellisa from the hospitality team who got me to hospital and paid for everything due to the hotel not having correct signage and left me a get well hamper in my room (thank YOU). On the other hand Thomas cook staff at the hotel were atrocious. They didn't contact me although they had been alerted to the accident they were unhelpful and frankly unproffessional. I called three times and was cut off as they were busy " selling trips". When I went to their area I waited for ages to be seen. The TC rep took my details and wasn't overly sympathetic, made a joke of it rather nonchalanty. She did book me a 'medical' seat for my flight home which didn't transpire albeit a scrap piece of paper was put through my room door on the last day of my holiday saying that we could have priority check in , I still have it as a souvenir. My accident was a lucky escape during my 2 week stay a child broke their arm another cracked their head open and needed to be stitched and another particularly unfortunate lady fell and broke the bone in the top of her arm all due to wet marble floors. She was left in the hospital charged £600 for and ambulance then £600 to see a doctor and then was told that she needed an operation for £10000.00 they said they wouldn't accept her insurance her sister was going stir crazy the Thomas Cook reps were of NO help whatsoever eventually she had to call the British Embassy and they sorted it out. The beach area is O.K not clean by any stretch there is a lot of rubbish about, the sea is lovely and warm, choppy though and not very clear and rather rocky. The food is average you can get most things to eat however, the food is NOT filled up regularly and is often luke warm there isn't much in the way of good meat only a couple of nights per week. If you want to go to the AL A Carte book before you go to Mexico, they are all pretty good apart from ironically the Mexican . The Japanese is brilliant DO NOT DRINK THE WATER. The grounds of the hotel are superb very clean and well groomed, lots of widlife including Dolphins on site.

The other thing to watch for is the constant hampering of staff befriending you in order to sell trimeshare or become a privilige customer remember nothing is for nothing!

I am not saying that I would never go back to Mexico but I wouldn't necessarily choose this hotel and I definately wouldn't book again through Thomas Cook

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sarah A
Dear 'Sarah A',

Thank you very much for your comment on tripadvisor about your recent vacation here at our facility.

I feel very sorry about the inconveniences you had regarding your towels and especially referring your travel agency. Nevertheless please note that the travel agencies are completely independant from us, and one of the stakeholders within the Tourism package. On the other side I have made sure that our team from the Tulum hotel got informed about your feedback in order to take immediate action.

I thank you for your time,

Yours Sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

The hotel was excellent we really enjoyed it, beautiful place when relaxing around the pool the entainment was amazing and we felt so welcome. We will be coming back again soon.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank Ashleighwilson
, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear 'Ashleighwilson',

Thank you very much your brief comment about your recent vacation at Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

We appreciate your kindness and your comment about Pedro. It will be a pleasure to informing him about your recognition.

For now I wish you a great day,

My best regards,

Gran Bahia Principe Coba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
0.6 km away
8.6 km away
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
33.9 km away
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#68 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,406 reviews
9.9 km away
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK