I traveled in May,2012 for a family wedding. Though I have been to Europe many times, this was my first time South. Truth be told I was a bit apprehensive about visiting Mexico, but all my worries were for nothing. Customs was a breeze, Yes there we were bombarded outside of the airport with people trying to get us into taxis etc... just keep walking until you find your rep(our was with Air Canada) The bus ride was 1:30 minutes to the hotel,this was not an issue for us, it was nice to see the country side. Here are my 2 cents:
CHECK IN- fast & easy, as soon as we were done, we reserved our dinners for the week. DO THIS RIGHT AWAY! they do fill up very fast. You get an information package with a very valuable map,coupons & a FREE PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPH with the hotel photographer, I didn't check all of it thoroughly and missed this.
THE GROUNDS- Gorgeous!!! well maintained, always people working on cleaning, planting flowers etc...
THE HOTEL- Absolutely wonderful,clean,big,airy... lots of little shops,pathways to discover etc...there are ecological walking tours,bicycle rentals, so much stuff to do! Some people found it too big/confusing, this was not the case for me. I think the hotel is a big or small as you make it.
TIME SHARE PEOPLE- Yes, I was asked maybe twice a day (while going to the buffet),for a moment of my time(and when I say that, I mean they would ask,"excuse me Miss"), and every time a simple "no muchos gracias" would suffice. No one harassed us, badgered us or manipulated us.
ROOMS- On the ground floor,big,clean and great, no complaints. We found one bug on the fourth day, guess what? you're in the TROPICS! it's normal, every once in a while you find a bug in your home, why is it the end of the world when you're on vacation?
FOOD- Excellent, loved the buffet restaurant,Kukulcan (Shout out to Carlos! your the best!) the a la carte were very good,El Pescador (see food) was incredible, the Japanese,Mikado was awesome and the Brazilian,La Gran Tortuga was out of this world (pace yourself, they bring you tons of food)!!
BEACH & POOLS- Fantastic, lots of fun,the animation team is great, but you don't have to partake in activities if you don't want to. Nobody will force you. Almost all the other guest were pleasant,some people were drunk & rude, but if you can't put up with a bit of bumps in life, you should rent yourself an island. The beaches are BREATHTAKING!!! Fish swim around you, water is lovely.
SERVICE- The service here is OUTSTANDING. The staff go out of their way to make sure you are well taken care of, they are polite, courteous and very accommodating. A smile on your part & a friendly hello, goes a long way... if you walk around with a holier than thou attitude,well, you get what you give.
TIPPING- you don't have to, it is included in the price. We DID tip,some in our group did not and the quality of service DID NOT CHANGE. (Some days we forgot our money in our room) I did not have the experience of having to tip the staff to "just to get them to do their job" The staff works very hard(6 days a week) and you get such good service... here in Canada we tip a minimum of 15% (sometimes even when the service is less than great) Here they make you feel like royalty, so why not?
ACTIVITIES- The Mexican fiesta on Thursdays is not to be missed!! ( I take issue with one reviewer who said that they cancel all shows on Thursdays, "to force everyone to pay 16 dollars to go see the Mexican show at la Hacienda". You can choose not to go,hang out by the bar/lobby,have a late supper or relax for ONE evening. The staff puts on a great show, it is about 16$ per person, the show is maybe 3 to 3:30 hours, there is dancing,signing and fire works, spectacular!! there are also discotheques. I went to the Dolphinaris at the Tulum part of the complex(at extra cost) LOVED IT!!!!! so many things to do, so little time.
SHOPPING- Lots of little shops on the hotel site,I loved this. We went to Playa Del Carmen and it was quite an experience! lots of merchants want your attention and be prepared to haggle!
Over all, I had such a wonderful experience here,I would HIGHLY recommend (and have) the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. I plan on returning again & again. I LOVED IT!!!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 7 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Akumal, Riviera Maya, Mexico