New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Dalhousie
“Wonderful first time in Mexico!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

I traveled in May,2012 for a family wedding. Though I have been to Europe many times, this was my first time South. Truth be told I was a bit apprehensive about visiting Mexico, but all my worries were for nothing. Customs was a breeze, Yes there we were bombarded outside of the airport with people trying to get us into taxis etc... just keep walking until you find your rep(our was with Air Canada) The bus ride was 1:30 minutes to the hotel,this was not an issue for us, it was nice to see the country side. Here are my 2 cents:

CHECK IN- fast & easy, as soon as we were done, we reserved our dinners for the week. DO THIS RIGHT AWAY! they do fill up very fast. You get an information package with a very valuable map,coupons & a FREE PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPH with the hotel photographer, I didn't check all of it thoroughly and missed this.

THE GROUNDS- Gorgeous!!! well maintained, always people working on cleaning, planting flowers etc...

THE HOTEL- Absolutely wonderful,clean,big,airy... lots of little shops,pathways to discover etc...there are ecological walking tours,bicycle rentals, so much stuff to do! Some people found it too big/confusing, this was not the case for me. I think the hotel is a big or small as you make it.

TIME SHARE PEOPLE- Yes, I was asked maybe twice a day (while going to the buffet),for a moment of my time(and when I say that, I mean they would ask,"excuse me Miss"), and every time a simple "no muchos gracias" would suffice. No one harassed us, badgered us or manipulated us.

ROOMS- On the ground floor,big,clean and great, no complaints. We found one bug on the fourth day, guess what? you're in the TROPICS! it's normal, every once in a while you find a bug in your home, why is it the end of the world when you're on vacation?

FOOD- Excellent, loved the buffet restaurant,Kukulcan (Shout out to Carlos! your the best!) the a la carte were very good,El Pescador (see food) was incredible, the Japanese,Mikado was awesome and the Brazilian,La Gran Tortuga was out of this world (pace yourself, they bring you tons of food)!!

BEACH & POOLS- Fantastic, lots of fun,the animation team is great, but you don't have to partake in activities if you don't want to. Nobody will force you. Almost all the other guest were pleasant,some people were drunk & rude, but if you can't put up with a bit of bumps in life, you should rent yourself an island. The beaches are BREATHTAKING!!! Fish swim around you, water is lovely.

SERVICE- The service here is OUTSTANDING. The staff go out of their way to make sure you are well taken care of, they are polite, courteous and very accommodating. A smile on your part & a friendly hello, goes a long way... if you walk around with a holier than thou attitude,well, you get what you give.

TIPPING- you don't have to, it is included in the price. We DID tip,some in our group did not and the quality of service DID NOT CHANGE. (Some days we forgot our money in our room) I did not have the experience of having to tip the staff to "just to get them to do their job" The staff works very hard(6 days a week) and you get such good service... here in Canada we tip a minimum of 15% (sometimes even when the service is less than great) Here they make you feel like royalty, so why not?

ACTIVITIES- The Mexican fiesta on Thursdays is not to be missed!! ( I take issue with one reviewer who said that they cancel all shows on Thursdays, "to force everyone to pay 16 dollars to go see the Mexican show at la Hacienda". You can choose not to go,hang out by the bar/lobby,have a late supper or relax for ONE evening. The staff puts on a great show, it is about 16$ per person, the show is maybe 3 to 3:30 hours, there is dancing,signing and fire works, spectacular!! there are also discotheques. I went to the Dolphinaris at the Tulum part of the complex(at extra cost) LOVED IT!!!!! so many things to do, so little time.

SHOPPING- Lots of little shops on the hotel site,I loved this. We went to Playa Del Carmen and it was quite an experience! lots of merchants want your attention and be prepared to haggle!

Over all, I had such a wonderful experience here,I would HIGHLY recommend (and have) the Gran Bahia Principe Coba. I plan on returning again & again. I LOVED IT!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank MMaltais
SubDirectorGBPC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Dear 'MMaltais',

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

My team and I are delighted that you could fully enjoy your vacation with us. Furthermore it makes me proud to read that our staff was able to feel you like royality. Our philosophy is 'Mi casa es su casa' - 'My home is your home', and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel resort.

Gran Bahia Principe Coba
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,442)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Breckenridge, co
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

I have stayed at the coba twice prior to this trip, as recently a two years ago, and each prior stay was great. Not the case any more, and I wish that I had heeded warnings to avoid this place by other trip advisor reviewers. It has deteriorated so rapidly I can't believe it. Room was damp and smelly and a/c barely worked at all. Room refrigerator warm and never stocked despite many requests. Neither tv or phone worked, wall outlets falling apart n dangling, outside lights all out, making our 3rd floor room unsafe at night. Patio light also out, three or four times a day the power went out. We were supposed to have adjoining rooms with our children, meaning connected by a common wall and door to enable us to go back and forth between rooms without having to leave the room, but coba premier lobby attendants, none of whom spoke English kept insisting adjoining meant side by side. So, despite promises by book it.com, no adjoining rooms.
Extremely aggressive saleswoman in the coba lobby by the rest rooms who swore at me when I declined her multiple requests that we talk to her and go to a 90 minute time share meeting.
Coba carts to hacienda as well as the van to the beach normally involved a 30+ minute wait in the hot sun, only to get one that was already full. Impossible most days to get even a non shaded beach or pool chair because they book twice as many people as they have chairs, and everyone reserves chairs with towels while they go back to bed.
From Friday through Sunday coba beach looked lie the jersey shore in wildwood with so many people you couldn't move and many people giving up on finding a chair so they simply laid on their towels on the sand and hoped everyone would walk around them. Sand was not the beautiful, white cancun sand, but coarse ground cement sand filled with sharp cement nuggets that I twice hit with my right foot and ended up with two serious toe injuries with skin and flesh gouged out.
They got too aggressive with booking too many weekend day visitors here I think, and the place is overrun with many more guests than they can accommodate. long lines and no tables at buffets, and the only a la cart reservations we could get were often at 930pm.
La gourmet a la cart was wonderful, but I couldn't help but notice that it was about 1/3 empty the entire 3 hours it took to eat, yet they guaranteed us at the lobby that it was completely booked.

Room Tip: Do not go to this place!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Elaine L
Dear 'Elaine L',

First of all I would like to express my appreciation for your feedback. In addition to that please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay.

You brought several aspects to our attention on which we will react immediately in order to guarantee an improvement.

In order to review some of your aspects and in particular your room number I kindly ask you to please contact my team under pramx3@bahia-principe.com. This would give us the opportunity to have a closer look into the system.

Please allow me also to inform you that room requests are strictly depending on availability and that there is no package which includes 'the confirmation of any room request'. Indeed our hotel facility operates connecting rooms we are only able to give rooms out which we have available on a daily basis.

Additionally I apologize for the fact that you have been suffering due to high amount of guests at the buffets. Nevertheless I would like to outline that our hotel resort, besides several snack bars and 24 hour bars, operates three international buffets which include more than 80 different plates. However if the situation applies that one of the buffets has many guests entering at the same time the other two buffets of Gran Bahia Principe Akumal and Gran Bahia Principe Tulum are not as busy.

I am very thankful for your feedback and once again I would like to express my apologies. Please do not hesitate to contacting me under the above mentioned email for any further comment. Indeed we would be honored to seeing you back here and would love to get the opportunity to hearing from you.

Our kindest regards,

Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba from 5/22 through 5/29/12. We were a wedding party of 58 people. I have stayed on the Riviera Maya at least 25 times at many all inclusive resorts, some family resorts and several all adults resorts. I have stayed at the Secrets, Ocean Maya, Barcelo, Iberostar, Rius, El Dorado, Dreams, Catalonia, etc..everything from 3 to 5 stars and the Coba is definitely a 5 star resort! This is a huge resort complex with 3 resorts, so we tried to explore them all. There was always something for everyone to do.

Rooms: We were upgraded to premium rooms and although the rooms are all the same, we enjoyed some extra amenities like extra toiletries, no fee for the safe, bathrobes and slippers. We also received a fruit basket, champagne, chocolate strawberries and little treats in our room each day. The rooms were very spacious with a separate sitting area and nicely decorated. Never had any bugs in the room (we were on the 3rd floor in building 30A. The rooms were kept very clean by the cleaning staff. It rained quite heavily one day/night and some rooms got water, BUT a quick phone call to maintenance and they were there in just a few minutes to clean it up…very impressed with the quick service! There were a few mosquitoes at the resort, but we had brought insect repellant and never had a problem.

Restaurants: We ate at the Le Gourmet, the Brazilian (can’t remember the name), the Mediterraneo (wedding reception) and the Mikado Japanese restaurant. All of the meals we had were very good with the brazilian being our personal favorite. Everyone enjoyed the buffet which had a great selection. If you couldn’t find something you liked here, you are probably very picky. The service at all the restaurants was great. We really enjoyed the 24 hours snack bar and bar every night after we went to the disco. It is near the quiet pool..a great place to meet after the disco!

Shows/Disco: We were so busy, we only got to see one show and it was the Michael Jackson show and we were very impressed with it. Wish we had gone to more of the shows…maybe next time. The Hacienda area with shopping and the disco was a great gathering place after dinner each night. We would hop on the red-roofed trolley at any of the lobbies and were taken directly to the Hacienda area. I did not personally shop at any of the vendors there, but most people in our group did and were not disappointed in the prices and you could bargain. It was a lot more convenient than having to take a taxi back and forth to Playa del Carmen. The disco was a lot of fun and we went there most every night.

Beach: The Coba is not directly on the beach, but was a short walk away or a short trolley ride that takes you directly to the beach. The trolleys were coming around about every 10 minutes and were marked with where they were going. Or you could ask the driver. The Coba side of the beach was very sandy entry and the other side was rocky, which made for good snorkeling. Even on the sandy side, you did not need to snorkel because the fish were all around you and the water was warm and crystal clear. Many of the group had never been to Mexico before and were blown away by the beauty of the beach and the water.

Pools: You were able to use any of the pools in the resort complex. All of them were really nice and a couple had swim up bars. We used mainly the activity and quiet pool at the Coba and the swimup at the Akumal resort. Sometimes you had to wait for a drink, but never a long wait. We did tip occasionally. We also brought bubba kegs and there was never a problem getting them filled.

Lobbies/grounds: The lobbies (especially the premier lobby at the Coba) were beautiful and the grounds were stunning, very tropical and lots of iguanas and coatis running around which was fun to see. There was usually entertainment in the courtyard each night by the Coba main lobby. We also really enjoyed the live band at the Tulum lobby the night of the wedding. It was like having a reception dance and everyone had a great time!

Wedding: The wedding was held at the Tulum resort pavilion and was absolutely beautiful, from the location, flowers, minister, music etc. All the guest thought it was beautiful.

Excursions: I did not personally take any excursions because I have already done most of them, but I did go scuba diving with through the resort and the dives were professional and a lot of fun. Many of the guests did book through the Apple desk in the premier Coba lobby and they all had a great time. I did charter 3 full day fishing boats for the wedding party from Captain Rick’s in Puerto Aventuras. They are a great outfit and I recommend them highly to anyone who wants to go sport fishing. You can also arrange fishing directly from the resort.

Having stayed in Mexico many times, I can honestly say that this is in my top 3 and would not hesitate to go back. I am a travel agent and would recommend this resort to anyone wanting to have a dream wedding. Our group of 58 was very happy with this resort, loved the beach, rooms, food, etc. and I honestly never heard a complaint.

Everyone that worked at the resort did a great job and always with a smile on their faces. We did tip our cleaning lady, the bartender occasionally and left a tip at meals. They work very hard and long hours and little goes a long way.

Finally, I cannot praise enough the outstanding service we received from Felix, the Guest Services Manager. He met us personally when we checked in and set up 2 special dinners for our very large group, which could not have been easy. He had also already blocked several restaurant reservations for about 20 people on several occasions. Even though the pre-reserved time and space for the brazilian restaurant was for 20 people, we had at least 30 show up and they still accommodated the group with a smile on their face…they were awesome! We were able to set them up several of our meal reservations at check in which was very easy. It seemed Felix was everywhere and always there whenever we needed anything. He arranged a wheelchair for my mother that helped a lot and the attention they paid to my Mom made her feel very special. I did send a request for rooms prior to arrival so our group could all be near each other and Felix had it all arranged for us. He is the best Guest Services Manager I have encountered at any resort I have stayed at…muchos gracias, Felix!

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank millerx2
Dear 'millerx2',

On behalf of the entire Gran Bahia Principe Coba team, I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for your time and the effort you put into this detailed report regarding your recent holiday experience at our hotel resort.

I am very happy to read that your group and yourself enjoyed your stay with us and that you are planning to revisit us again in the future.

It has been a pleasure to welcoming your wedding group and yourself to our hotel and we will be looking forward to seeing you here again.

We wish you all the best,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We are, Shneider's family, had one week of fantastic vacation at Bahia-Principe, Riviera Maya. It was our 10th times visit to this resort. Everything was excellent: services, rooms, food, etc. All resort's staff are very polite, friendly and excellent professionally trained.
We are very pleased to Mr. Felix Schlokat, Guest Service Manager at GBP Coba for everything he did for us. We were exiting how Mr. Felix is managing difficult situation to have guests satisfied. We also would like to thank Mr. Victor Ernandes from GBP Tulum. Mr. Victor is providing excellent service and he is showing the highest level of professionalism as the manager of all facilities he is looking after. When we came one of managers told: " Welcome to Paradise". Our opinion that the people (like Mr. Felix and Mr. Victor) are making Paradise from this place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Naum S
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

What an amazing place to stay, the buffet was so good, everyone is so friendly even those lizards lol. Different pools to choose from, swim up bars aswell....Beach is amazing..The hotel lobby is Class A, my room was amazing aswell......Swam with dolphins, went to the mayan ruins, took a cab to Playa Del Carmen, is was safe and so much fun....Im going back again as soon as possible..
Also met a gentlemen by the name of Luis Perez who works there that made our trip go above and beyond my expectations....If you go there look for him hes the guest services manager...The guy is the nicest guy you will ever meet............5 Star Resort for sure

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank fatmufin
SubDirectorGBPC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear 'fatmufin',

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your vacation at our hotel facility, Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

I am honored to read that our staff went the extra mile to satisfy your expectations and we appreciate also your recognition for Luis. Be ensured we will pass your comments on to him.

Please do not hesitate to contacting us prior any further visit,