“Gran Bahia Principe Coba”

Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Chatham, Canada
“Gran Bahia Principe Coba”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My experiences having stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba was amazing! I was fortunate enough to travel with family both times while at this resort. My first experience was in Dec 2011 that was amazing and then again for my best friends wedding in April 2012. Every bit of the experience made my vacations wonderful. I look fwd to coming back time and time again.

Room Tip: Loved the 2nd floor of the villa's. Not too many stairs to climb and the view from the balcony i...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Colette M
SubDirectorGBPC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear 'Colette M',

Herewith I would like to thank you for your brief comment about your vacation experience at our hotel Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

Your visit has been an honor and our team will be excited to welcoming you back here in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contacting us two weeks prior your arrival at our Guest Service Department under pramx3@bahia-principe.com

We wish you all the best for back home,

Yours Sincerely,

Gran Bahia Principe Coba
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,600)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My husband and I have just returned from Mexico. We stayed in the Gran Bahia Principe, Coba hotel complex. Although we had paid for an upgrade, we were a little disappointed in the room which we were allocated, When we first arrived the room smelt extremely damp and we noticed that the patio window had condensation running from about half way down it, also the tv screen was covered with damp! I realise that Mexico is a very humid country at this time of year but if the air conditioning had been left on then the smell would not have hit us quite as hard. We initially asked to change the room but, after a good nights sleep, we decided to stay put, as we were probably a little bit tired, irritable and picky.

We were supposed to receive bathrobes and slippers which again were not supplied and we did not receive them until day 12 of our holiday even though we had complained to a number of staff, and also our rep. By day 10 we were becoming a little frustrated with the hotels lack of response to our complaints and went to the public relations desk, who had informed us that they had never been informed of the complaint (they admitted communication between departments seemed to be an issue). Do not go to Reception with a compliant as they do not pass the information on - go straight to the public relations department. By way of an apology we did receive a small bouquet of flowers and the next day having, still not received them, we were given a small bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine.

The only other minor complaint I had was that in the buffet restaurant, whenever you went for anything that required a spoon, eg cereal/soup, they never had any spoons available either at the servery or on the table, and we always had to ask for them from the waiters. As the waiters were always busy sometimes we would wait up to 10 minutes to get one. This was only at the Coba Hotel as the Akumal and Tulum Hotels had realised that this meant that the waiters were not being called upon unnecessarily. Having said all this I can truthfully say that it was an extremely uplifting and relaxing holiday.

Now for all the good things about this holiday!

Firstly, I would like to say that the staff in general were always extremely welcoming, friendly and hard working and would go out of their way to help whenever possible. The resort is immaculately clean and the gardens beautifully kept.

As a guest of the Coba hotel we were welcome to use the facilities of the other 3 hotels within the complex, which were linked by small buggy type buses which ran from 6 in the morning through to 3 the following morning, and were approximately every 10 minutes. This was a great way to get around the complex if you didn't feel like walking.

There were a number of a la carte restaurants throughout the complex. They varied from Japanese, Italian to Mexican. This was when I felt the 5 star side of the hotel came in to its own. The waiters were extremely attentive and couldn't do enough for you and the food was beautifully cooked. A major tip is that if you wish to book up: do it on the first day as these restaurants are extremely popular.

The amount of wildlife on the complex was incredible and we happily spent time walking around the grounds peering into the undergrowth looking for various animals. At this time I would like to point out that unfortunately not all guests were as caring or respectful of the wildlife. I regularly noticed that first thing on my morning walk a number of cans and other bits of rubbish appeared to have been tossed into the bushes which the gardeners had to remove for the safety of the animals.

As our hotel was not on the beach there was an allocated area set aside on the beach for our hotel, which was in front of the Akumal Hotel, and could be reached by the little buggy system. The beach was as immaculate as the grounds with staff constantly going around clearing up. The beach 'bar' was a small thatched area where the friendly staff could make just about anything you requested (except for hot drinks). They made the most incredible non alcoholic cocktails I've ever had.

The animation teams were very good and if you wanted there was plenty to do such as zumba classes, water aerobics, volleyball to name but just a few with nightly shows (although we didn't attend I heard they were very entertaining).

While we were in Mexico there was a number of thunder storms which were quite spectacular
to watch, but what was more interesting was that the foyer roofs were all thatched, and leaked whenever it rained. This was when the cleaning staff came into their own and ensured the safety of guests by mopping up and cordoning off the areas where the rain came in.

I would like to make a special mention of Lorenzo our cleaner. The room was always exceptionally clean and every day we came in to find a towel 'animal' placed on one of the beds. As a laugh we started to place the animals in various areas of the room (the mermaid was placed climbing out of the bath, the elephant was leaning into the sink drinking and the bear was in the bed reading). When we finally got to meet Lorenzo, although his English wasn't brilliant he seemed to find the game quite entertaining.

We went on several trips which I felt although enjoyable were rather expensive . We decided to go back to Xel-Ha on our own for a second visit (if going back within a week you get 30% off) and took public transport. We were pleasantly surprised at how easy and cheap it was to get around the immediate area. Beware: you do have to play 'chicken' to cross the motorway outside the hotel so extreme caution is needed.

My final comment is for anyone who is prone to being bitten by mosquitoes. Nothing will stop them! I tried absolutely everything on the market including the bands, well know brands of repellants, aftersun with repellant as well as the local brand. I have come home looking like someone recovering from chickenpox, but would I go back? Most definitely, possibly at a different time of year when it is not quite so damp.

Room Tip: We were near the motorway but not disturbed by the traffic which was block 18. The rooms nearer the...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank regulartraveller61
SubDirectorGBPC, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Coba, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear 'regulartraveller61',

I am very thankful for your comment and detailed feedback about your recent stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

I really appreciate your time and the effort you put into your review as feedback liks yours help us to continously improve our services and standards.

Let me inform you that I already have taken action and discussed your comment with our Front Desk Management team, including our Subdirector. In addition to that your concern about the spoons at the Kukulkan buffet have been passed on to the entire Food and Beverage Management Board in order to resolve it immediately.

Furthermore, I would like to express my appreciation for your comment in regard to Lorenzo. It makes me happy to read that he went the extra mile in order to provide you with outstanding service.

Please do not hesitate to contacting us back at pramx3@bahia-principe.com two weeks prior your future stay in order to help you with any concerns.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2012

We were this resort back in Feb 2011 for two weeks and really enjoyed our stay and were thrilled when our niece picked this resort to get married at last week. There were 40 people that went for the wedding for a week. Our room was spotless with a very comfortable bed and the airconditioning worked perfect. Having been there before, we were well aquainted with the the resort layout with getting to the other hotels & facilities by shuttle. You are never far from your next drink or a pool. The wedding took place on the beach with the rolling waves as a background for the pictures. There was a dj on the Coba patio for dancing on a couple of different nights. We enjoyed several shows at the theatre at night, but our favorite was the two Michael Jackson shows we saw. The first show was a real "thriller" since we had seen this performer on 4 other occasions during tropical vacations, including the Riu Tequila in February. We really enjoyed all our meals at the buffet because of the huge selection of food. I do have to mention our waitress, Lucille, was very attentive and remembered us from our previous vacation.
We took several family members on the collectivo for $4 to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen for a few ours of shopping and to enjoy a few buckets of beer and people watch from a couple of different patio bars; our favorite being Karen's where we also enjoyed some nachos with our beer. We also were invited to the "meet the management" bbq which was very good food and a chance to meet some of the upper management. I have to mention that Felix is a man of many hats having seen him doing severall different jobs and doing them all well. The grounds were maintained perfect by all the grounds keepers. Thanks to all the staff for a great wedding week.

Room Tip: We checked in at the Coba Premium Lobby and our room was the first building beside the lobby, #2 whi...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tenman9
Dear 'Tenman9',

On behalf of the entire team of Gran Bahia Principe Coba I would like to express our appreciation for your feedback on tripadvisor and say 'Thank you'.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort back soon.

Have a great day,

Our kindest regards,

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We just got back yesterday from another great week at the Bahia Principe Coba. This was our fifth time at Bahia Principe Resorts and our 4th time at the Riviera Maya complex (2nd time at Coba).

From the moment we talked to Felix (one of the nicest and most professional guys you will meet) before leaving on our vacation to the moment we left the resort, the service was excellent. The staff at the restaurants and bars work really hard to make sure everybody is served as quickly as possible.

The accommodations are very comfortable and the rooms are all junior suites, so very spacious. We got one of the blocks that we requested on the third floor.

This is low season for them, so there were a few things that were closed, but this didn't really affect us very much. Blocks 23-27 are under renovation. The Portofino restaurant is closed (but you can eat Italian at "La Dolce Vita" in the Akumal section) and some of the other a la carte restaurants were closed on certain nights. Also the Royal Golden lobby is not open but these guests get to use the Premier Lobby which is even nicer. The Cozumel buffet was also closed but since the main Kukulcan buffet was only half full, this was obviously not an issue either. My main disappointment (if i have to find one) was that the snack bar (Los Olas) on the beach in the Tulum section was closed for renovations...This was out favorite snack bar as you had such a great view of the ocean while you were eating.

The restaurants were all great. My girlfriend and I ate extremely well, and we can be somewhat difficult. The only slight disappointment was the Mediterranean restaurant, but all the other a la carte restaurants were fantastic (Mikado x 2, La Dolce Vita, Tequila, La Gran Tortuga).

We never had any issues getting chairs at the beach or pool, and we always arrived between 10:30am-11:00am.

We'll be back soon!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrankMTL25
Dear 'FrankMTL25',

'Muchas gracias' and 'Thank you' very much for your kind feedback regarding your recent vacation at our hotel Gran Bahia Principe Coba.

I am honored that my team and I were able to satisfy your expectations and needs and could make your stay more than enjoyable. Be also ensured that I have passed your comment about the Mediterranean restaurant on to our head chef for some follow up.

We wish you all the best from sunny Mexico,

Yours Sincerely,

Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2012

where to start? well it is cancun in june, so expect it to be unbearably hot! What i didn't expect from this resort which rates itself a 5 star?!! NOT!! No air conditioning anywhere you went, they say the buffet was air conditioned, we sat under a ceiling fan intentionally and still sweat like crazy! Our room: stinky,musty,hot, mold growing on the wall by air conditioning unit that was turned down to 10(50F) but never cooled down past 75F. Beds are ROCK HARD as well as the pillows! Where did they find them?in a quarry? My husband and I thankfully only booked 2 nights, came in the day before the wedding and left the day after! His parents wanted to come home with us when we left, they were staying another 4 days. Worst breakfast food of any buffet we have been to. My husband said the scrambled eggs tasted like chalk. Will definitely not go back or recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank M R
Dear 'M R',

On behalf of the entire Gran Bahia Principe Coba team I would like to express, on one hand, my apprecition for taking your time to provide us with your comment regarding your recent stay at our hotel facility and on the other hand apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Customer satisfaction is our highest priority and on a daily basis my team and I are communicating to our guests and looking for input.

Be ensured that we take your comment very serious and will be discussing it at our Management Board. Nevertheless please be so kind and let me inform you about some important facts which faciliate our guests to enjoy their vacation with such a high level of humidity and heat. For instance the Air Condioning in the rooms, due to ecological reasons, only switches on when the balcony door is completely closed. Furthermore for our guests who prefer a softer mattress option we do have mattress pads available which we easily send over to the room upon the request. Also regarding the breakfast buffet please let me remind you that we do have more than 80 different dishes to offer.

Once again I would like to apologize, but would be honored to welcoming you back here again in order to demonstrate you our improvements.

My kindest regards,

Guest Service Department Contact: pramx3@bahia-principe.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
1.2 km away
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#75 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,824 reviews

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK