New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Chatham
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I have been to this resort 4 times now.

My first time was in 2008 in March. My first reaction was I thought I died and gone to heaven. I felt very safe and comfortable. Felt I was at home.

The second time was in 2010 for Christmas. Was so different waking up with no snow.. but I totally enjoyed every minute of that trip.

After a little convencing my fiance and I decided to do a desitionation wedding at GBPC and got to go down there for Christmas in 2011 before our wedding in April. It was his first time at this resort and he found out why my parents and I talk about our past trips like they were yesterday. The dinner for new years was outstanding. I have never in my life seen so much food in one room from lobster to desserts four teared high. UNBELIEVEABLE. :( we didn't get to stay for the big party our flight was at 11:45 pm Dec 31 :(.

Now we just returned from our destination wedding at the GBPC. I want to tell you that every minute every detail was breath taking, and beautiful. Our wedding planning was all done through emails and Maria our wedding cordinator was a gem. She got every detail and every little request to a T. The ceremony was breathing at the gazebo in Tulum. Our dinner, and chocolate cake with strawberry filling was delicious. Then our pool side reception was defintely the icing on the cake. My flowers were bird of paradise with a purple and whit mix of other flowers. The spa was great too my maid of honor and I got our hair done for that day, and it held up the enitre day. This day was very relaxing and I didn't have to worry about any detail being left out. When we got back to our room that night it was decorated very romantic with rose pettles every every a bottle of champane on ice for us, extra chocolate kisses on the bed, and more flowers. The staff bent over backwards to make our day very memorable as well as our guest will be talking about it for a long time.

The weather was amazing, not too hot. It was very comfortable.

Since we have been home we are looking at booking another trip hopefully this year again.

I can not say anything bad about this resort.

I have found my second home away from home.. Miss you GBPC looking forward to coming home soon <3

Room Tip: villa 23-25 has a pool, buffet, 24 snack bar, shopping, and lobbies near by. if you can't get...
2 Thank JenGreenPowers
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,442)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Milton< Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

When my wife wanted to go to Mexico for a family vacation I balked at first. Our travel agent , The Flight Center, recommended the Gran Principe Coba. A few people I know had been here and raved about it so I said yes. Well I was very pleased and would go again. The staff is friendly, polite and help you out in any way. The rooms were big, we had 2 because we had 6. The grounds and well kept and the food was great! The beach was a little rocky but the water was clear and warm. The place is fairly big, it takes a day to get your bearings but the trolley system is great for getting to the beach, the other lobbies and the Hacienda for shopping. The buffet was good and the staff are willing to insure you are well taken care of. Rafael at the Coba Gold desk was great in helping us set up our al a Carte dinners. The Mexican one , Tequilia was our favourite.

The pools are busy but the "quiet" pool was sour first choice to relax. The activity pool is fun and we only spent one day there but we did enjoyed that day. One thing about the resort, the many different pools give you a great choice to relax and swim. I would suggest that you bring a carry on change of clothes if you arrive during the morning because your room will not be ready. Be careful at the Airport to not get caught by a timeshare sales pitch. The resort itself never pressured us to go to a meeting and we didn't even know they sold condos.

We took advantage of some of the adventures there. My three kids, 17,14 and 11 went parasailing. Half the fun was getting to the boat on the SeaDoo! Also we went on a snorkel adventure booked through our Air Transat rep. It was fantastic. We saw 11 turtles at Akumel Bay then went to a cenotes, cave with water in it. It was worth the money!

We went to Tulum, take the cab vans or the Collectivos to the site. It was great but very hot. Take your bathing suit and towel the beach is great.

We also went to Playa del Carmen, agian by Colectivo. The shopping at 5th avenue is good. The beach there is also great. Pay the extra money to place yourself at one of the hotel's beach cars for the afternoon.

Overall the food was great the pool was great and the people were great. I would go again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank drewtremblay
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

This was my first ever vacation to mexico. I was sceptical of this place hearing such mixed reviews. The service, cleanliness and things to do at this resort exceeded my expectations.
I would first like to thank the amazing staff at this resort for providing the best service I have ever received. Special thanks to the drivers Victor and Dayvis for making the train rides so much fun! At the Coba buffet I would like to thanks Carlos for always inviting my boyfriend and I into his section and making Coba buffet my favourite in the whole resort!
Sofia and Enrique were very fun and friendly entertainers and made my stay unforgettable! As for bartenders, Domingo, and Luis were very good and the bartender and the swing bar was very hard working and fast! But there are so many more people I would love to mention if I could only remember thier names!
The staff at this resort work so hard to make it beaufitul and safe for all visitors!
This resort is very big but the trolleys make transportation effortless and the drivers are very good at making everything in the resort very accessible and even drop you right at your villa sometimes.
The beach is outstanding, and seems to go on forever, we had a lot of fun playing in the waves and snorkling on the resort was very fun!
I would reccomment this resort to anyone who is interested in travelling to mexico. It is in a great area if you want to do any excurstions, anything you want can either be found close to or on the resort! Even dolphins! I would higly reccomend the sea turtles snorkling excursion to akumal beach, we saw tons of turtles, sting rays and many other sea creatures and the boat ride was very fun. Whether you want to lay back and relax, party, or experience adventure, you will find it all at the bahia principe!
As for the rooms they were very large and comfortable, the only thing was the lighting was a little dim for my liking and there is no outlet in the bathroom for ladies who like to straighten/curl thier hair in the mirror. There have been many complaints about the comfort of the bed, I was expecting a rock of a matress, but I was pleasantly surprized by the size and comfort of the matress, you can even ask for a matress cover if youd like. If there is any problem with your room all you need to do is go to reception and they will fix it. There are so many good things I would like to share about this resort but there are simply too many to list.

DO NOT listen to the negative comments about this resort, I do not understand how some people can be so hard to please!

I can assure you you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: 12B was walking distance from the loud pool, the lobby/buffet which was very convenient. We enjoyed...
2 Thank JMacey123
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Very very large resort with lots to see & do. The beach is amazing, spa was great, rooms clean & everyone was friendly & helpful.

Sergio hosted a few different events I went to, including karaoke idol. He is full of energy & life and gets everyone smiling & involved. He was one of my favorite parts of the resort. He created fun daily.

Lorenzo was always a friendly face.

I loved this resort but I could do without the constant asking about swimming with the Dolphins or joining the VIP club. It put a bad taste in my mouth. When I did go on the VIP tour & did not purchase I was told by Alex that, "I had wasted his time & didn't I realize he was on commission!"

I appreciated the carts that drove you from place to place but did not like waiting for a ride from the beach to the hotel for 20 minutes in the blistering sun each time.

As beautiful as this resort is, I found it too far from Playa del Carmen. If just sticking to your resort is the way you like to vacation then I highly recommend this resort. If you like to go do & see lots, something closer to Playa might be a better choice.

Shopping in Playa, taking a scooter around Cozumel for a day & going to Xcaret were my favorite things to do. I can't wait to go back to the Riviera Maya.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Having previously stayed in the Tulum section of this resort, we know how wonderful it is and we decided to go back yet again. We decided to stay in the Coba section this time because it was just a little cheaper and we hadn't tried that section yet. The service and grounds were as perfect as at the Tulum section but having to take a trolly to the beach was a pain in the butt especially because we found we preferred the Tulum beach over the Coba beach. It is a long stretch with open ocean, whereas Coba's has been kind of divided up into ocean pools, and the having to travel back and forth was a pain especially if you forgot something you needed in your room.

Regardless of the beach, it was everything we expected from the Gran Bahia. The food was excellent, the staff were so friendly and helpful and the grounds are immaculate. The evening entertainment was so fun to watch and if you just wanted to have a quiet drink you could do that too.

We only took in the one al carte - The Don Paublo, but the food was fantastic and the service was exemplary.

Having stayed at both the Tulum and the the Coba I can highly recommend both. If you are a beach person I would stay at the Tulum but if you are pool lounger, this is the resort for you!

We WILL be back just as soon as we can!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles