We first vacationed at this fabulous resort in 2002 and have been back every year since, usually for 2 weeks in the Spring and again in the Fall. In some years, we have been for a third vacation usually to celebrate a special occasion. We very much enjoy the resort and our time with many of the staff who have become our "Bahia family", and we have often recommended the Bahia Tulum to family and friends whose experience during their time there have some returning again and again.
Our most recent vacation was from May 9th - 23rd 2012. Prior to leaving Canada, we were able to arrange our a la cartes through Nicki (Sub-director) and Melissa (Public Relations Manager and also our preferred villa close to our favourite "hang out" spots - the Tulum Lobby Bar (Bar Akumal), the Tulum pool and the main lobby. All was arranged very efficiently.
From the time of our arrival and throughout our time there, we were made to feel very welcome and very special by everyone. Yes, we know many of the staff, but even those who met us for perhaps the first time were as welcoming and eager to provide us with a great vacation experience. We always enjoy the food, the drinks, the many things to do right on the resort, the grounds, flowers and the many iguanas, but the staff and their positive and fun attitude is what keeps us coming back.
Favourite restaurants - the don Pablo and the Tequila. We enjoy the buffet restaurants as well, and enjoy going to the buffets in other parts of the resort on occasion. Favourite bar - the Bar Akumal, Tulum's lobby bar. We start with an early morning cuppachino and usually end the day enjoying the live music with a favourite drink. And the staff remember our favourite drinks from one vacation to another!!
We suggest travelling throughout the Bahia complex and spending some time in all 4 areas. The snorkelling is best near the bar El Mar at the Akumal end. The trolley service works well and the staff will help you travel throughout the Bahia. Try a little Spanish with the staff - they are great teachers.
Tipping - we have never been made to feel that tips are expected and when we do tip, staff are very appreciative. FYI - staff cannot exchange coins at the banks for pesos. We plan to have enough US paper money in the right denominations for tipping.
We have read in some reviews concerns about a couple of experiences that others have had. First, matters requiring some maintenance in rooms. We had 2 minor issues, one to do with the telephone and the other to do with a light fixture. Neither was urgent for us and we brought these to the attention of the Reception staff and the Public Relations staff in the evening and both were addressed the next morning. Secondly, there is a Privilege Club being promoted in the lobby close to the Public Relations office, and certain people "promoting" this club have to tendency to be intimidating and misleading. When we brought this to attention of the Director and Sub-Diirector of Tulum, the matter was dealt with immediately and effectively, and staff from the Privilege Club subsequently remained within their boundaries. We do not typically have any issues when we are at the Bahia Tulum, but this time when we required the assistance of staff, the response was appreciated.
So another great vacation and we have already booked our next one for October. Again, the staff at the Bahia Tulum is the resort's greatest asset!! We are looking forward to returning.
Ron and Wendy
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal, Riviera Maya, Mexico