My wife and I have just returned from a two week visit to BP Tulum. This was our eleventh two week visit in twelve years. We have always had a great vacation and this year was no exception but budget cuts are obvious to the return visitor with a few of areas falling short of previous visits.
Most noticeable and I think most important is the reduction in service at the Tulum buffet. The ‘meat dish’ trays (only two this year) were left empty for up to thirty minutes with scraps of dried food left in them. An n assistant would then come round and check the trays and radio to the kitchen for refills which would then take a few more minutes to arrive. On all of our previous visits there were a number of chefs constantly monitoring the food and refilling even before they were empty. It was not the case on this visit. Also missing was the nightly carved roasts. Overall the Tulum buffet this time around was just ok. We also ate at the Coba and Akumal buffets and these were fine. We booked our a la carte reservations ahead of our visit and these were excellent as usual. Don Pablo and Arlequin still being our favourites.
The snack bar was closed for renovations at the beginning of our second week and we were told that it would be this way for about three weeks. The day we left it was completely boarded up and the plywood painted yellow. I appreciate that the work has to be carried out somewhen so this being the case on the advice of the posted notice we headed over to the Akumal snack bar for breakfast… no cereal, no milk, no little sandwiches, very little fruit, only white bread. This was at 9am but they were serving alcohol!! Priorities a bit skewed here I think.
We spend many evenings at The Akumal Hotel Pakal Bar and another very noticeable change was to the music. On all previous visits there was a quartet of musicians...guitarist, keyboards, drummer and a singer. This year the regular band at the Coba Premier lounge was gone and the quartet was split into two groups-drummer/guitarist at the Pakal bar and singer/keyboard player at the Coba Premier lounge. I do have it on good authority that this was done for purely financial reasons.
Although the grounds are immaculate there were some noticeable differences this time around. There is also much less visible security on the grounds than we have seen in previous years especially at night.
This hotel now seems to be a popular choice for weddings with several each day. This makes for a large number of twenty somethings, many of whom seem to want to congregate around the south pool and party and swim (loudly) until three or four in the morning. We have had the same room for a number of visits and this is the first time that this has been an issue.
I spoke with Melchor the manager about the noise and he suggested I contact the front desk if it occurred again. I did so and it was resolved within thirty minutes. I know people like to have a good time on vacation but consideration is needed for other guests who may like a quieter time. I think the hotel needs security to monitor the noise level around the hotel grounds in order for this hotel not to be known for a great place to party all hours.
As I mentioned we have been to this hotel eleven times and each time it has been a great vacation. Even when we were there in October 2005 when Hurricane Wilma struck the hotel staff were amazing at making sure everyone was safe and were fed. (I did write a review of our experience at that time”Blown away by the Bahia experience”)
After so many great visits I am unhappy to report some negative aspects but I do so in the hope that the issues will be addressed by the hotel management.
I have recommended this hotel to about a dozen friends, colleagues and families over the years and they have all said they had a great time. I plan to continue to do this. I know the management do monitor Tripadvisor and I am sure they will act on what they feel is important to their guests and I am sure we will be back again in the not too distant future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal, Riviera Maya, Mexico