6,408 results
All reviewsribsmayan suitebeach barel doradoa la carte restaurantsfishthe salt water poolmain poolthe white sandscolonial lobbyoutdoor showerpunta emiliaadult pooljunior suitetikal buffetwhite partymake reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Trip Report
Grand Palladium Kantenah
June 7-12, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the GP from June 7-12 and had a wonderful time overall.

Thank you everyone on TA and on Unofficial Palladium for all of your information prior to us leaving for the GP.

This resort is HUGE so I am going to break it down by category and give my humble opinion.

Rooms—Large and clean. We started out in Mayan Suite 3601 but we really wanted a water facing suite so we asked the first night before dinner, and the very accommodating front desk guy gave us Mayan Suite 3304 which was perfect. We did not have a view of the ocean due to the dense foliage but we could hear it, and we had a great view of a male iguana and his females who would come to the porch and get banana from us several times a day. I loved the hammock on the porch and spent hours in that listening to the jungle, watching our iguana friends and reading. The outdoor shower was awesome and added much to the room. We never used the tub! The size of the room was fine and the bathroom area was also large especially with the outdoor shower. The bed is not great, and in fact, I had to take aspirin before bed each night or my hips would ache; however, we sleep on a memory mattress at home so I am spoiled. Also, the refrigerator in the room did not cool very well. We reported it but …Like everyone said, there are not enough plugs but we made do since I forgot to bring the cord w/ additional outlets. The safe is adequate for storing valuables. The TV was nice but the service lousy, but we were not there for TV. The lighting was also not very good in the room area but was fine in the bathroom. When we needed more light, we opened the curtains.

Beach—Lovely. Lovely. Lovely. Our favorite spot was on the Kantenah side right near the beach bar as it had great shade, great hammocks and also good sun. So, I could lay in the sun or hammock, and my husband laid in the shade. Snorkeling was good here as well as down by the Whitesands beach bar. I saw a lot of fish in both spots and snorkeled every day but our last day there—too windy and very choppy waves.

Pools—The GP has a lot of pools. We saw all of them, I think. We swam at the two main pools, and had lunch at both. These pools are very large, very nice. We did not spend a lot of time at the pools as I really love the beach. The Saltwater pool on the Riviera side was very beautiful as well.

Grounds—Beautiful! The GP has very much a jungle feel, and the bridges and walkways through the mangroves were just awesome. Again, I was so hoping to see more wildlife but only saw iguanas and a few of the guinea pig type animals. The resort is huge, and we did a lot of walking, but we chose to do a lot of walking. I ran the entire perimeter mornings for exercise. It was exactly a 30 minute run for me so approximately 3 miles around from Kantenah to Riviera and back to beach Kantenah. It was a great run and much more pleasant at 7:30 a.m. than 9:00 a.m. Waaayyy too hot at 9 a.m.

Food—Buffets—Good and lots of choices.

Ala Cartes—We ate dinner early around 6:30 p.m. and only had to wait one time for 15 minutes. We ate at the following:
El Dorado had great food. The steaks were cooked to order. I got a NY strip with the blue cheese sauce. My husband had the T-bone. The salad bar was good. The sides were good. We had no dessert.
Sumptori—We did the show table. Our wait staff was very nice, and the cook was wonderful. The food was very good. We did not order dessert.
Ribs and More—We ate no ribs, but the steaks were great. We did not order dessert.
La Amelia—We disagree on this one. Service was wonderful. I ordered the chicken fajitas which I found to be very good. My husband ordered the special steak which here in Texas would be considered beef fajitas. He did not like them. It was our anniversary, and we asked our wait person to take a picture. He ran off and came back with huge sombreros which he made us wear before he took the picture. He then took one of us without the hats. I ordered dessert—pumpkin brulee (sp)—very, very good.
Bamboo—Very good. Service was wonderful as well. Sushi was yummy! My husband asked for shrimp without a sauce and he got these HUGE very lovely tempura battered shrimp in a bowl. He was very pleased. I got beef chop suey. It was great and had a lot of vegetables. We were too full for dessert.

Spa—The workout room is huge and has a lot of machines, weight machines and free weights. We did not check out the sauna as Mexico is a sauna in June so saw no point in this. We did check out the pool one late morning, and it is very beautiful and peaceful. We enjoyed it very much. After about an hour, we took the sauna back to our room (i.e. we walked back.)

Service—Morning buffet service was not good at the Colonial Buffet. I had to ask (felt like begging) for coffee, and the wait staff all but rolled their eyes at me when I asked. This happened both times we had breakfast here. And we were tipping so I just did not understand that at all. I also get it that this is a buffet which has self serve coffee machines and I truly don't mind getting coffee or anything else for that matter for myself, but I really did not like the coffee in self serve machines. It tastes bad just like the stuff they have in the machines at convenience stores--like instant coffee tastes. I am not a coffee snob, truly, but I do like to have two cups of real coffee in the a.m.—does not have to be special coffee just has to be real. And the coffee in the coffee carafes the waitstaff has is really lovely tasting coffee. So, bottom line, I wanted that coffee and did not like having to beg for it. The service at the Riviera buffet was wonderful, and I never had to ask for coffee. The food at both was good. The fruit selections were great, the juices could be made to order (not me too many calories saving for the pan dulce.) We never ate lunch at either of these but chose to eat lunch at the pool buffets or at the Punta Emelia beach bar. Service at the pool buffets was great, and the food was good. The beach bar had good service but the poor wait staff had way too many people to serve. They were almost running to try and keep up with the people coming in. The food was good.

Service at the al la cartes was wonderful. The wait staff worked very hard and were very, very nice.

Bars/Drinks—We did not really drink at the beach—the drinks have very little alcohol at the beach bars and IMHO the fruity ones are just too many calories without much benefit. So, I had my bubba keg, and the bar staff kept it filled with ice and water. The bartender at the Kantenah bar would fill my cup with ice and water and laugh saying, "Ice and water." My husband (drinks Budweiser) did not care for the beer not so much because of the taste but due to the temperature. The beer was just never cold. I drank Mohitos but asked for vodka instead of rum. These are very good. I also had vodka and club soda. The liquor at the bars in the lobbies and the restaurants was not watered down at all so I was careful to not over indulge.

Things we did not see/get to—Where were all the raccoons and cotamundis (sp)? We looked and looked and walked and walked but never saw nor got to feed any. I was mucho disappointed in this as I was looking forward to seeing them since I was missing my four Chihuahuas so badly.

Shows/Entertainment--We never made it to a show. We are early risers and don't stay up that late especially after a day of fun and sun. There was nightly entertainment--singers. We enjoyed what we heard and saw.

So, would we go back? Yes, but we would want to go with a group of friends or family to hang and party a bit with. I loved the jungle feel of the place and the beauty for sure, but the vastness of it was a little overwhelming. Overall, we had a great trip, spent quality time with one another and enjoyed the resort and all it has to offer. And it has a lot to offer.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank phall
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2015

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay at the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa
We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. This information will be passed along to the involved manager for further review. We are grateful for the opportunity to improve.

Thank you again. We are so looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 June 2010

This is a excellent, huge resort with plenty to see and do. There are 4 hotels and you can use all the facilities of each one. You can walk but it is very hot and humid. There is a train or carts which go between lobbies and take you to your villas, sometimes there can be a slight wait, but they always arrive. The food was excellent in buffet and majority of the al a carte restaurants. Rooms are cleaned daily and the mini bar is always fully stocked - free of charge. Whole resort is spotless and staff are constantly cleaning. Swimming pools area at White Sands is superb with a great swim up pool bar. Beach is clean but some areas in the sea are rocky but great for snorkling - swim shoes are a must. The other thing you can't do without is mozzie spray. 3 of us got through 6 tins in 2 weeks as the hotel is set in a 'jungle'. The site supermarket charges a fortune ($14) per tin. Visited Xel - ha for the day, dolphins were great and so was the snorkling. Worth a visit. Aslo went to Puerto del Carmen during the day - far too hot. Revisited one evening which was a lot cooler. Lovely shops to look at. The hotel arranged a taxi there and back for us. You arrange a time and location to be picked up and they will be there. Overall we had a hassle free superb holiday and we would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shar37

Awesome! Sounds like you had a splendid trip here at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa. We have succeeded providing a memorable vacation. Thank you for your feedback. This information lets us know what we are excelling in and what we need to work on.

We really appreciate you and certainly look forward to your next stay with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2010

Just come back. I travel with old lady (76 years old). They give us room on 3rd floor without elevator. When we came in the evening, find out, that air-conditioning and telephone did not working also. In the morning I want to move to the other hotel, but they move us to ground floor. I did not want to spent one more day for moving and decide to stay. Room was terrible , do not remember, if I stayed in this kind of room ever in my life. Never have problem with the bed before. Here I just try do not look around. I killed insect, but mate didn't ever bother to remove it. Next day I put tip above it. The territory is gorgeous, big kick is crokodile next to buffet and pink famingo next to reception area. Beach is good, but rocky, but huge compare to other hotels. Also nice to see children having fun feedind fish next to buffet area. Food is so-so, like smoked salmon for breakfast. Me and my company are having diarrea during stay and after. Do not know, if it is serious.I think, they have problems with water treatment.
Spa is good, we had steam room and sauna. This is my 5th stay in Cancun area. Room was the worst, food probably too. I really like the territory and the beach, but room-no. I do not recommend this hotel for people with disabilities and seniors, because you have to wait train, and it doesn't go very often. The territory is big, and it is hard to move in old age, because it's hot and humid. For me, I really enjoy landscape and beach. Would I go to this hotel one more time? I do not think so.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank gigaga

Thank you so much for your review. We truly appreciate you taking the time to describe your full experience on our property.
We regret to hear we weren’t able to meet your expectations. Of course this was not our intention. We always try to provide our guests with the best possible service and for this reason we find it unfortunate you did not experience the service we like to provide.

We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Regards

Reviewed 8 June 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at this resort and was amazed by everything it had to offer.
I do not understand any moans or groans.
As you may know already, the katanah is one of 4 'sections' (+ royal part) and you can use the whole resort. We didnt feel limited in any way.
The place and grounds are fantastic, very clean and well kept.
The food was great, we tried all of the ala cartes in the 10 days we were there, and I could not say a bad thing. Ok, I enjoyed some better than others, but that is a matter of taste. There are also plenty of buffets around if you fancy that. You couldnt fail to find something you like! Great choices for breakfast, even champagne!
The beach and pools were also nice. The saltwater pool was excellent, if you go, make sure you pay it a visit. I could go into lots of detail but would take the whole page up. It really was the Ideal resort for us and I am more than happy we picked it!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank funnydrunkgirl

We appreciate your kind words on our beautiful grounds and resort amenities. Our staff is always there to assist and make your experience even greater. We are very happy that we were able to resolve any problems you may have encountered. It’s our hope to be able to exceed your expectations once more.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 3 June 2010

In general the hotel is really good and if we go back we definitely would consider it again. I would recommend it.
PROS: The hotel is beautiful. The pools are awesome. The huge size and connection to the partner Grand Palladium hotels allows to get some diversity. Huge variety of activities. The hidden spa is sweet! The walk along the beach is lovely. Food in buffet restaurants is great.
CONS: The food in most of the specialty restaurants is not that good. Desserts are bad. But, the food in the buffet restaurants is great. The nightlife isn't that exciting there but maybe that is good.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your nice feedback regarding your stay at the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa.  We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant experience on our lovely resort

We appreciate your kind tone and look very forward to welcoming you back again in the near future

Best wishes