“No problems” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Providence, Rhode Island
“No problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My family and I spent a couple of weeks at the resort last summer.

We had no idea what to expect as this was our first visit. We always rent a car when in Cancun, and it took us about 10 minutes from Playa del Carmen to the resort. Our first impresion was very positive. Beautiful grounds and public areas. Check in was easy. We had two adjoining rooms on the second floor of one of the Kantenah units. Not too far from the beach and not too far from the Lobby area. The rooms did smell musty, but after turning on the AC it seemed to dissipate. The rooms were of a good size, and the bathrooms adequate. The TV was antiquated and broke down several times during our stay. The refrigerator was stocked daily with soft drinks and beer. The housekeeping staff was pleasant and competent. A safe was located in the closet.

We were there in August and it was HOT and HUMID. We like it that way. The resort is large! Walking a lot is unavoidable. There is transportation available from the lobbies, and regular stops along set routes. There is plenty to do. Numerous pools (large and small), a long and beautiful beach (most areas rocky - bring water shoes), a complete Spa, a sports area (not as nice nor as complete as it could be - my three boys were disapointed) and the kids' social/sports organizing staff were not exciting or motivating. There were lots of places to eat and drink.

This was a laid back vacation. No problems.
Food at the buffets was ok. Food at the a la cartes was fine. Sometimes you had to wait a bit. Entertainment in the evening was often crowded, but not bad. Wifi is available in the lobby areas, but is a bit spotty. We found most of the staff to be polite and helpful. The bartenders in some of the busier bars were not as attentive as could be desired.

We swam, snorkled, segwayed, danced, ate and ate more, drank and drank more, played soccer, minigolf, basketball,volleyball. We played cards, listened to live music, met friends and had a good time. Attitude is everything. No problems.

Sra Banesa Maria Burque we are coming back this August.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank execmd
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear execmd,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a great vacation and to know that you come this august again.

Please, if we can help you with anything or with your reservation, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Resident Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My familty and I stayed at the Grand Palladium Kantenah for 4 nights in Jan. 2012. I am First Secretary at the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City and my parents came from Canada to meet my wife and daughter in Akumal. Although I agree with the very positive comments about the Kantenah, such as beautiful grounds etc, we had a serious problem in our room that was handled extremely poorly. Our secound night there was a rain storm and our room flooded completely, damaging a 2 pairs of leather shoes and my wifes leather bag. We we~re told it was a problem with the air conditioning and the problem had been fix, after having to call 5 times and wait until 12 noon for someone to come.... the nex night it rained again and flooded the room again. I am writing this negative criticsim more to the fact that no one seemed to care about our problem and at no time were we offered a different room. We use TripAdvisor regularily and tried to find ^Banesa^ who seems to respond to the criticisms however no one knew who she is... or she was always at a different part of the hotel. When we checked out, we asked for some kind of compensation and even showed the pictures and explained, again, our situation. we we~re told that Gran Palladium ^takes no responsibility^. The hotel was very full when we went and we honestly understand that ~theses things happen^, but the indignidad and complete lack of respect was not worth the very nice grounds and beach area.... there are many hotels in the Riveria Maya area. I would not risk having something like this ruin your vacation. If you would like any further information please contact me and I will be happy to give you my contact information at the Canadian Embassy.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank debby b
Dear debby b,

I would like to give you my deepest apologies for the incident that you have had during your vacation.

I will see this with our team.

Please, if you decide to visit the hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with me.

Best regards,

Gosport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We have just returned from a 2-week all-inclusive holiday booked via Thompson - and quite simply this place is phenomenal.

There are enough reviews on here that can tell you all about the facilities, staff, rooms, food, drink etc etc. Take time to read them through and appreciate that it is a very large resort with some much to offer.

If you are thinking about booking this resort - do not think twice. Everything positive that has been written about the Grand Palladium is true.

Rooms - Top quality
Food - Unbelievable...impossible not to find something you cant eat.
Drink - Endless and plentiful and cocktail heaven.
Staff - So genuinely happy to serve you and make you feel welcome

If you have read anything negative on here then ignore it - it has probably been written by either of the following:

a. Jumped up snobs who seem to think they probably deserve individual treatment.
b. 'Meat and 2 veg' eating hankie hat wearing Brits who would be more happy in Blackpool.
c. And some fairly odd others who probably had a dodgy Pina Colada.

Happy to receive any messages from Brits thinking about booking.

Room Tip: If you are perhaps a little elderly and dont like walking try and get in Villas 1 or 2 within the Co...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Adey&P
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear Adey&P,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your comments.

Best regards,

Banesa M° Burque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

My husband and i just returned April 20-26, we both had the best vacation ever! This was are second trip to this beautiful resort and cant wait to have a third trip. Beaches are beautiful and u have your pick of plenty of beach chairs. Pools are very fun with group activities to join in or just to watch. Food was great everyplace we ate at. Especially the Japanese restaurant & the steak house. I loved that you dont need reservations and we never waited longer then 30 min. Workers are all very nice, kind, and fun. Please tip, cuz it means so much to them. Our room was very nice. We stayed at the Kantenah side. On the second floor. They told us that when its our third trip to this resort, we will get an upgraded room. Is that true??? I hope so. They did give us a nice fruit basket for our second time being here.

• Stayed April 2012
10 Thank jjoebon
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear jjoebon,

Thank you for share with us your comments about your vacation in Grand Palladium. I am glad to know that you have had a great time this time too.
Regarding the up grades, are subject to the availability of the resort.

Please, if you decide to visit the hotel again, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

o.k., just got back from vacation last night and I must admit, for the price we paid for four nights (it was a quickie vacation, we live in the "neighborhood", Fort Lauderale, Florida) I was really impressed! The ride from the Cancun Airport to the resort would have taken an hour but since it was a "share" transfer" it took longer, but that's fine. When we arrived at the Kantenah we were greeted with drinks, warm towels to freshen up with, and an upgrade to a junior suite not far from the beach, which is what we wanted. I'ved read other reviews about the rooms, claiming they were' dated". I had no complaints. The balcony was large, faced the jungle, and since we were on the top floor we even had a tiny little view of the ocean. As far as the bed, I thought it was comfortable and clean. Housekeeping always did a good job, and we even had a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. So far so good. To get around, you can walk, walk, walk, since it's a huge, really huge property with exchange privileges and shared facilities at the higher end Riviera and White Sands property, including their pools, bars, restaurants. Since the property is so large, if you don't want to walk they have golf carts that show up every 3-4 minutes that can transport you anywhere you want to go, they also have a tram/train that runs from hotel lobby to hotel lobby.

As far as the beach, I thought it was wonderful with plenty of hammocks, lounge chairs and tikis all along the beach which had to be at least 3/4 of a mile long. There were also a number of bars and two "on the sand" beach grills where you could get lunch.

And speaking of food, again, we were very impressed. The breakfast buffets were great, everything from freshly made omelettes, quiche, pastries, bacon, sausage, smoothies, loads of fresh fruit, bagels, cream cheese and lox, to mexican specialties. If you can't find something to eat there you've got an eating disorder. Same thing for the other buffets (the one I wasn't that impressed with was the poolside buffet for lunch). As far as dinner, I loved the a la carte restaurants we ate in, the steakhouse, Portofino, and the mediterranean restaurant, I don't remember it's name, but I sure had a wonderful rack of lamb there, tender, tasty, wonderful. I also had a wonderful shrimp dish with jumbo shrimp at the Italian restaurant and all of the ala cartes we ate in had nice salad/appetizer bars. After dinner they rolled out the dessert cart with a nicely decorated and yummy assortment of desserts.

If you preferred the buffets for dinner, they had a different theme every night, french, mexican, seafood. They also have a nice beach bar b que with steak, chicken, ribs, burgers, etc. on Wednesday and Friday nights with music.

I think my favorite place in the resort was the rock pool. It was beautiful, with beach beds and you can climb into the pool and "swim with the fishes", since the pool is saltwater and opens to the beautiful Caribbean. There's even a bar there for drinks and the view of the ocean and the beach is phenomenal.

All and all, this is a fabulous place to go, For the money, it's definitely a five star property, but since it doesn't have room service, it's not a legitimate five star, but perhaps a 4.5 star property. It's lovely, though, but again, it's sprawling with lots of walking through gardens, jungle, past the flamingos, etc. One suggestion I'd like to make to management, though: You need more direction signs when walking through the jungle paths. We got lost and went out of our way looking for the adult pool on the Kantenah side. Other than that, this was a fabulous place to visit, especially on a budget as it's very reasonably priced. You get a lot for the money, good food, beautiful beach, entertainment (if that's your thing) a friendly and helpful staff, clean and comfortable accomodations. All in all, it can't be beat, and I disagree with a lot of the negative reviews. When we were there we had amazingly good weather (April 24 - April 28) and we didn't see a lot of bugs. I can see this place perhaps being crazy during spring break, but when we were there it was pretty quiet and mellow, there were families, couples, honeymooners and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves. Considering all the amenities and the cost, the abundant wildlife at the resort, the lovely beach and gorgeous pools (sparkling clean, like the rest of the resort) I wouldn't hesitate to go!!!

Room Tip: e-mail the hotel a week in advance requesting what you want and they'll try to accomodate you...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Cosmom
Dear Cosmom,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to thank you for share with us your comments about your vacation in Grand Palladium.

I am agree with you, the saltwater pool, "Las Rocas", is a nice place and ideal for relax.

I will take note about your observations.