“Simply not good enough” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
side, turkey
“Simply not good enough”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I am writing this review and am wondering to myself if I actually stayed at the same hotel as the people writing these brilliant reviews on here. I know everyone's situation is different but come on really! Lets be totally honest here, this hotel is not five star and should not be classed as such. We worked very hard for this holiday and having lost my mother last year we decided to put what small amount of money she left me towards a holiday of a lifetime. My money was totally wasted.
Upon arriving at Cancun airport it was obvious this was a very hostile environment and very scary and certainly did not feel like you were on holiday. Rude ignorant staff. When we got on the transfer coach to the hotel everyone was stressed out so it was a pleasant delight to have such a lovely tour rep called Heseus taking us to our hotel. What a wonderful rep and so funny, he had everyone in stitches on the way to the hotels. Can now say this was probably one of the few highlights of the holiday. When we arrived at the resort it was beautiful, lovely landscaped gardens and lots of wildlife wandering around, something you dont see often in the high streets of England. Whilst checking in after a 10 hour plus flight we were greeted with a cocktail, nice touch. Thats where the nice touches stopped. We were taken by the local bell boy in a golf style buggy to our accommpodation. Once entering we can only say we were very disappointed by the outdated musty smelling room with the 20 year old non working tv, we had two rooms, the other one occupated by my daughters and it was the same for them. Our sink didnt maintain water, shower was a trickle if you were lucky, beds ROCK HARD AND PILLOWS EVEN HARDER (flinstones springs to mind) if you wanted the luxury of a decent pillow you had to pay for it, WHAT A JOKE, at the price we paid and FIVE STAR was it too much to expect a decent nights sleep. The food in the buffet restaurants were ok but you had no chance of getting a fried egg or an omlette unless you wanted to queue for for a ridiculous amount of time, would have thought for a resort that big there would have been two griddle stations. You had no chance of getting a coffee once it got busy as the staff couldnt cope, many morning I had breakfast with no coffee. The a la carte restaurants very limited menu and you have to wait ages for your food even though the restaurants half empty. Only one selection of wine unless you wanted to pay for the decent stuff, once again I was all inclusive, why should I have to pay for a decent glass of wine when I have already paid? The wine was undrinkable. This was simply not the holiday we had paid for. There was no customer service and the staff at the bars were the most rudest people I have ever met. They simply would keep you waiting unless you showed the colour of your dollar. I have never been treated like this. Believe me it doesnt stop there, we had the pleasure of about 400 spanish students turn up on an university excursion to a FAMILY HOTEL, they were drunk every day and every night, smoking in the pool, plastic glasses in the pool, straddling each other in the pool in front of my young child, couldnt use that pool, our sunbeds were constantly taken off us and our stuff left on the ground, our towels stolen, not just ours but other guests too. They had a habit of putting their sunbeds anywhere so they could all be together so if you were lying there it was quite a usual procedure for a young spanish person to pull their bed right in front of you so you were surrounded and couldnt move go go anywhere. Also couldnt understand why for this sort of money there wasnt a waiter service around the pool, we have had waiter service at a 3 star in Turkey before. Anyway there was no point in tipping the waiters anymore to get a drink now you simply couldnt get one, bar four deep, spanish. Then the catalonians turned up who didnt like the spanish and then mahem ensued, security called all the time. I am sorry to make this such a lengthy review but I am so angry to have paid all this money and to have been let down by this hotel. I spoke with the Manager and told him of my complaints, didnt want to know, nothing resolved. We forgot to tip the maid one morning and she just didnt bother to clean the room, beds not made, clothes on floor. This was the worst holiday ever and my family and I will never be returning to this resort. Please dont waste your money going here you will be severely DISAPPOINTED. One good thing to come out of all this is the wonderful friends we met there, they were the saving grace.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank laura06
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear laura06,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you our apologies foR the incidents that you and your family have had during your vacation with us.

I respect your point of view but I would comment that this hotel is a all inclusive but we have other options for the guest with extra charge. This is optional..for example, a Wine menu or a Pillow menu. In the pillow menu, the guest can find special pillows, cervical pillows, etc..

I apreciate your time and if you decide to change your opinon and visit the hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

We always try to do our best to satisfy our guests and make their vacation enjoyable and, the feedback we receive from most of our clients proves this.

Resident Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Boston, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

My wife, 13-year-old daughter and myself stayed in the Kentenah section the week of April 16. This was our fourth trip to Mexico and our fifth resort that we have been to. I love to walk so I had a great time, but this place is very large! After a few days you are sure to bring everything that you might possibly need when you head out, or risk a 20-30 round-trip walk back. With so many people it was hard to get to know the staff and for them to remember you. We tend to tip better as we bond with the employees. It seems as though staff (other than animation team) was discourage from talking with guests or spending any more time then was absolutely necessary to do the task that they were assigned.

We also had the pleasure of staying at the same time the Spanish medical students were at the resort, we must have just missed the Americans. We talked to a staff member who explained that when the resort is slow, the resort owners give special deals to these “students” to fill the place up. While they weren’t very rowdy, they were extremely rude, especially to the local Mayan staff members. They smoked everywhere and drank constantly, these are the future doctors of Spain? We had our towels taken, drinks splashed on us and when more food and drinks were needed, they would simply step in front of you. It’s a shame the resort owners would let these just-of-drinking age, unsupervised, students treat the staff and others guests so poorly.

My daughter was very disappointed with the one old style bow used for archery. Sitting around while each person shot three arrows was not fun. If you missed the target, your arrow would go through a cloth backdrop into the jungle, more time wasted for retrieval! It seemed like the person running the show wanted people to get board and leave, he was not much of an instructor. We saw that the rifle shooting consisted of one pellet gun so no time was wasted in returning. Archery had always been an activity that my daughter looked forward to on vacation, one would think a large resort like this would be better equipped.

On the plus side, my daughter loved Kentenah & Colonial pool and I liked that the beach was only a few steps away. The reservation system for the restaurants worked great for us, the Mexican and Brazilian where excellent! If you arrived before 7:00 – 7:15, you could walk right in. The one night we ate late, there was an hour wait but we had a drink and checked our email with the free lobby wi-fi. We only ate one night in the buffet, while the food was good, it was very typical for resort buffet fare. Breakfast & lunch buffets had plenty fruit and health options, you will not go hungry! Drinks at the adult pool where much better than the beach or main pool bars. We never got into the adult only lobby bars, but overall the alcohol was lower shelf and the drinks are not very strong.

Overall we had a great vacation. If the price is right we would return to this resort, otherwise, for us, it is too large with too many people.

1 Thank ml86_boston
Dear ml86_boston,

Thank you for taking time and share with us your feedback about your vacation in Grand Palladium. I will take note about each comment and I will share this information with our team. Too, I will see the situation the archery with our Entertaiment manager.

If you decide to visit the hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Windsor/Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Just got back from staying at this resort from April 15th-22nd and it was a very nice vacation for us. The reason we went to this resort is because my friend was getting married on the Wednesday of the week and she has been to this resort like 4 times. She always likes staying here.
We booked with Apple Vacations and from the airport it took us about an hour and a little bit to get to the hotel.. mind you that we did have to drop off a couple people at different resorts on the way. We were greeted with a fresh drink which was nice. Our room wasn't ready till 3 so we just walked around until then.
Make sure you go on Palladium Addicts website (google it) because it gives you a lot of information about the hotel and tips. I felt more prepared going to the resort from visiting this website. On the website it said that if you have any allergies and special requests to e-mail the hotel a week in advance. Well no one knew about the allergies when we got there so we had to explain them over again to make sure everything would be ok. I just thought they would have been a little bit more prepared. We stayed in room 4609 on the second level and there wasn't much view of anything.. if you want a little bit of something then maybe the third floor. During the week they gave is a bottle of champagne which was very nice. They always restocked our mini fridge everyday and gave us plenty of water. Tip: If they make you an animal out of towel art don't wreck it because they won't make you another one at all for the whole week. I needed some of the towels from the towel art haha.
The beach was nice but I did not go far out into the water because it was a little rocky. I would recommend to get yourself a beach chair in the morning because it was very busy at the hotel during this time of year and sometimes we couldn't find one.. we had to walk around a little. There is no volleyball court directly on the beach.. which was kinda disappointing.
Food was good... not amazing but good. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch and dinner we always tried a Al La Cart restaurant. The restaurants we tried were- Ribs and More, Mexican, Italian, and the Brazilian. Out of all of them the Mexican was my favorite. We did eat twice in Playa so we didn't try more. My least favorite would be the Ribs and more... cold chicken wings.. not good.
Drinks were pretty good.. I did stick to my usual Banana Momma and Mojito but my boyfriend tried the "paloma" traditionally made with tequila and grapefruit soda but didn't have the grapefruit soda so they mixed it with tequila, soda and 7up. A really good drink.. if you like tequila... try one!
Only down side for the buffets at times were because it was so busy the waitstaff would never come over and greet us.. so a couple of times we ate with no service. Which I understand....
The greatest part of the whole hotel is the spa. Its soo beautiful and relaxing. The gym is very well equipped and have towels for you and refreshments there. Try the hibiscus tea they offer its really good. We purchased a couples massage and it was wonderful. We did use a lot of the other things at the spa like the Jacuzzi, circulation circle for your feet, infinity pool and the hot tub with powerful jets that pour on your back.
My friends wedding was nice and the wedding planners did a great job. She got married on the Kantenah beach.
If you want to get around to the other hotels (4 sections) there is always the train to get a ride from that you take from the lobby.
Make sure you also see the salt water pool... its very beautiful.
All in all it was a good trip but would we stay here again... no because I like trying new hotels all the time! Any questions please ask!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank BlondeBrittany
Thank you BlondeBrittany for taking time to share with us and other readers your opinion about your holidays in Grand Palladium. All comments are very important for me and for the rest of the team, because we can improve our service every day.
I am glad to know that you have had a nice time and enjoyed your Friend's Wedding.

Walsall, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

As the title says we found both good and bad during our stay.
The first four days of our 2 week stay it was probibily the best place we have stayed in,we got a free room upgrade on arival very nice,great service at all bars ard restaurant's,i belive in giving good tips and getting good service, we got it.
After 4 days of a perfect holiday chaos hit the hotel,a party of aprox 100 American teenagers hit the hotel lke a Hurricane,They were the most badley behaved group of people i have ever had the miss fortune too meet on holiday,Drunkenees,foulmouthed language,fighting,vomiting,sexual antics on the beach,when we moved too other area's to get away from them they followed. They prowed from bar too bar in large packs we found it impossibe too get away from them and the complex is huge.
Then the Spanish turned up in even larger numbers and it was like 2 sets of football hooligans chanting insults at each other across the main pool area,Great holiday with my family.
The hotel was now full over the Easter break the quality of food in the restaurant's went down hill along with the service.
I am sure many people have had a great holiday on this complex but be warned this hotel can get very rowdy and when it does it is not family friendly.
Final thoughts
CLUB 18/30 IN BENIDORM

8 Thank grenadieralf
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear grenadieralf,

Thank you for your comments and for your time. The resort is big and we have quite places for relax and calm. The main pool is the place with more people and with a lot of activities.
I will take note about your commentes because it's help for improve our work and I will share this information with our team.

Please, if you decide to visit the hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

SF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is our first time at this resort but in the past we have been many times to Barcelo Maya Colonial and Catolonya Royal Tulum, both resorts are within a short driving distance from the Grand Palladium.
We loved the beach, there is plenty of shade and space. The beach is totally swimmable, with no rocks. The beach was kept clean and well maintained.
Rooms: are very basic, bedding is very modest, pillows are hard as a rock. Barcelo Maya Colonial in comparison has an upgraded bedding, more pillows, bathrobes and slippers. We had a junior suite so it was good to have a reclinable sofa bed for one of our kids (barcelo maya resort does not offer a sofa bed, there is just a sofa)
the unit was clean and dry, we had a room on the third floor in the bld #49. Location of the bld was great, as it was a relatively short walk to the beach and to the restaurants/lobby.
You can rent a pillow of your choice for $3 per night, I thought it was rediculous as this resort rates itself >4 stars. I wish I had brought my own pillow.
Food: plenty to eat, good salad bar, many choices of sea food throught the week. Once they served a lobset stew. We had rabbit stew, duck, ceviche, quiale, etc. plenty of junk food too but we were able to find a lot of healthy options. Desert was so so, could have been better. They served desert from the eve before the next day at lunch and breakfast. The restaurant on the beach has a good ice cream bar.
Service: at the restaurants the service was very slow and inconsistent. We were there during the busiest time of the year so may be that is why it felt that way.
Coffee station is located too far at the beach restaurant.
Wildlife: all over, kids were very excited
Entertainment: great team, they had many things going on during the day at the pool area. It was centrally located and easily reachable.
Eve entertainement was ok too, I liked it better at Barcelo Maya. However, kids club and activities were much much better on this resort. Every night there is a show that requires kids participation, my kids looked forward to it almost every night.
There is a lot of walking involved but we got used to it in a day and liked it a lot.
I would recommend this resort and would go back, however it is not a 5 star hotel.
Spa/gym is located too far, you need to make a real affort to get there.

Room Tip: stay in the buildings # 49 or greater as it is closer to the beach