“travel 4/6-4/15/12”

GreenLeadersSilver level
SF
“travel 4/6-4/15/12”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is our first time at this resort but in the past we have been many times to Barcelo Maya Colonial and Catolonya Royal Tulum, both resorts are within a short driving distance from the Grand Palladium.
We loved the beach, there is plenty of shade and space. The beach is totally swimmable, with no rocks. The beach was kept clean and well maintained.
Rooms: are very basic, bedding is very modest, pillows are hard as a rock. Barcelo Maya Colonial in comparison has an upgraded bedding, more pillows, bathrobes and slippers. We had a junior suite so it was good to have a reclinable sofa bed for one of our kids (barcelo maya resort does not offer a sofa bed, there is just a sofa)
the unit was clean and dry, we had a room on the third floor in the bld #49. Location of the bld was great, as it was a relatively short walk to the beach and to the restaurants/lobby.
You can rent a pillow of your choice for $3 per night, I thought it was rediculous as this resort rates itself >4 stars. I wish I had brought my own pillow.
Food: plenty to eat, good salad bar, many choices of sea food throught the week. Once they served a lobset stew. We had rabbit stew, duck, ceviche, quiale, etc. plenty of junk food too but we were able to find a lot of healthy options. Desert was so so, could have been better. They served desert from the eve before the next day at lunch and breakfast. The restaurant on the beach has a good ice cream bar.
Service: at the restaurants the service was very slow and inconsistent. We were there during the busiest time of the year so may be that is why it felt that way.
Coffee station is located too far at the beach restaurant.
Wildlife: all over, kids were very excited
Entertainment: great team, they had many things going on during the day at the pool area. It was centrally located and easily reachable.
Eve entertainement was ok too, I liked it better at Barcelo Maya. However, kids club and activities were much much better on this resort. Every night there is a show that requires kids participation, my kids looked forward to it almost every night.
There is a lot of walking involved but we got used to it in a day and liked it a lot.
I would recommend this resort and would go back, however it is not a 5 star hotel.
Spa/gym is located too far, you need to make a real affort to get there.

Room Tip: stay in the buildings # 49 or greater as it is closer to the beach
4 Thank VikaSF
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear VikaSF,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your comments. I will share this information with our team.

Best regards,

Resident Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was our 3rd family vacation to Grand Palladium in Mexico and each trip gets better. Our family of 4 with a 16 year old daughter and a 12 year old son had a great vacation. We have been to Mexico GP 3 times and Jamaica and DR each once. 10 days of great weather, great people and an beautiful resort. Each time we have returned, we have noticed an increase in quality of food, beverages and service in Mexico. Mexico is by far our favorite. It was great the first time and even better this time. Unlimited food and drinks with plenty of beach and pools for everyone. Anything that was needed (extra linens, spray for ants on the patio), they were there in 5 minutes. The resort is clean, well maintained and employees are always kind and willing to please. A big thank you to our best bar tenders and new friends at the beach bar in the Kantenah section, Ervin and Fernanda....you guys rule!! Another big thank you to our favorite Manager Eduardo for making sure our family was comfortable for all 10 days.

Room Tip: family of 4 with older kids should definately get the family suite instead of the junior suite
2 Thank wiseguy6768
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear wiseguy6768,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to thank you for your comments. I am glad to know that you have had a nice vacation another year with us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is my second time in Mexico, my first time I stayed in Cancun. I have to say that this resort is very nice but also very big. It was the first time that my family and I actually had to use the golf carts and the hotel train to get around. I am used to staying at small resorts where everything is within walking distance and I have to say that I really prefer this.

The beach is terrible with the exception of the sand. I'm not sure if it was just timing for us but the water was very dirty every day. People do come by to clean the seaweed up in the day but it doesn't really help. The water also has a lot of reef and it can catch you off guard when you step on a piece while walking through the water. I cut my foot once and also twisted my ankle.

The food is great, it's your typical resort type food, only the have a lot more variety and they have the most amazing Guacamole and salsa!! Also they always have a place to grab a small snack.

The shows are incredible and you get to enjoy 2 each night. One at Kantenah and then you can take the train over to the Colonial for the next one. The nightlife on the resort is a bit lame with the exception of the lobby bands and the beach party that the entertainment team puts on.

The entertainment team contains some excellent people. Keep an eye out for Jason, Ivan, Alex and Sheila. They made our stay much more exciting and more enjoyable.

The rooms were clean and we always had 4 bottles of water in our fridge. The water pressure and temperature in the shower was great. Hair dryer worked well but you have to hold down a button the whole time that you use it.

The drive from the airport is an hour and a half.

I didn't leave the resort while visiting Mexico but I think going to Coco Bongos would be a good idea.

Last but not least.....you are basically staying in the jungle so make sure that you have some bug spray. I got bites each night during the shows.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a view of the woods so if you want a good view you need to pay extra for it.
3 Thank Shaundell84
Dear Shaundell84,

I appreciate very much you comments. All comments are important for me and for the rest of the team. We are continuosly working in improve our service and our facilities.

Best regards,

yorkton
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We a party of four adults stayed at the Kantenah early January and we very much enjoyed ourselves.
My wife and I stayed in a basic room on the second floor of villa 4102,a clean,quiet and very adequate room.A short walk to the buffets,restaurants,and the beach and pools.
In our opinion the bad reviews are not warranted ,yes,its a big big resort,but the walking wore off the great food and booze!
If you enjoy a natural jungle setting,this is the place for you!
we enjoyed all the al a cartes,the service is excellent,and the staff are amazing!
The drinks are plentiful and tasty
The train and shuttles are great to go to the outer areas for sightseeing and when one is just happily tired.
The spa is incredible,and we enjoyed a couples massage that was one of the top three spas we have ever visited
We did notice that the power would go off a few times and the wi-fi was touchy,but that was not a serious concern for us
The beach outside our area is one of the best of all our Carribean beaches we have visited,with very little coral in the water.
For a quiet pool please try the adults only pool,one being outside of the Kantenah main lobby and just behind the kids Black and White club,this was a favourite pool of ours and the cozy area has a great beach bar with washrooms.
Really,there was so much positive about this place,we will return again without hesitation!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank classic_creators
Thank you classic_creators.

I am glad to know that you and your group have had a great vacation with us.

Salisbury,England
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Thought I'd share my views of resort as found other reviews helpful before we travelled.We stayed for two weeks march/april with 3 children under 10.This resort is amazing! The resort is big with plenty to offer everyone.The children loved the pool which is huge with plenty of sunloungers for everyone.There are actually 2 huge pools and more smaller ones.The resort is kept immaculate at all times and staff work hard to keep it clean during the day - i spilt a drink and someone was there cleaning it up before i could mention it .The staff are so helpful and friendly and will always say hola when you pass.The food was excellent quality and choice.The buffets were a big hit with the children as they had plenty of choice but we ate in the a la carte restaurants too and they were great if you want a special eve meal.The beach is beautiful again with plenty of sunloungers and lots of fish to see especially if you feed them bread!

We used the collectivo bus service( which is really cheap) and they drop you off at many of the local attractions and you can then pay at the door again which works out much cheaper than booking with the reps xel-ha is worth going -lots of snorkelling and great for children.We went to accumel beach which is five min away they offer swimming with turtles there but you can also book from the beach at the resort too and get a similar price.DO barter with the locals for everything even taxi's will offer a similar price to the collectivo service if you haggle with them.

The rooms at the resort are spacious and very clean and the maid service was good.My children weren't really interested in the kids clubs but others from our party enjoyed them.We went as a wedding party and it was an excellent day with a beautiful wedding location on the beach and a lovely meal after.

There are shows on every night and entertainment around the pool too if you're interested.Do not take beach towels as they are available beside the pools.We took mexican pesos some people incurred extra charges with traveller cheques so beware but us dollars are accepted too.
Overall it was a fantastic holiday and a beautiful resort with alot of wildlife - we saw lizards galore and even a small snake. We highly recommend it to anyone thinking of going.We will definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Karen g
Dear Karen g,

In behalf of Palladium team, I would like to thank you for share with us and other readers your comments about your vacation. It's a pleasure to know that you and your family have enjoyed the hotel and the wedding.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
0.6 km away
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#78 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
9.8 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
7.0 km away
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
33.6 km away
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK