5,963 results
All reviews ribs the white sands adult pool the salt water pool a la carte restaurants fish el dorado sports bar main pool mayan suite travel club punta emilia junior suite white party segway tour riviera lobby something for everyone
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Grand Palladium Colonial never disappoints, we have been returning to this resort for 12 years. We feel it is our home from home, such friendly staff, excellent food, beautiful large pools.
We always enjoy the evening shows at the theatre, the Rock show is our favourite.
There is an earlier show for the children, which they all seem to enjoy.

Room Tip: Google the map of the resort, then you can see where the buildings are located.
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ejlynn
Rosa R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Dear ejlynn,

Thank you for believing in us and making Grand Palladium Colonial your home away home during the last twelve years!

It is always a true honor adding new memories in your vacation and we are pleased that during this visit you received a friendly service from our staff, delighted with excellent food from our buffets, snacks and restaurants, and spent your days relaxing or having fun in our beautiful pools.

We are so glad to know that entertainment is a very important aspect of your enjoyment in our paradise and we will inform our POP team that you always enjoy the great performances of our stars in the Colonial theater every night, especially the fantastic Rock show with live music!

Your home away from home awaits you until the next time you visit Mexico

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2018

This was a last minute trip. Having previously been to the Palladium, we didn’t need to research or read reviews, we just booked it and went.

I’ll be very honest. We have had some amazing vacations at the Palladium, but we have also had a few disappointing vacations. The trip is, what it is. It becomes what you make it. Our last visit to Palladium was a bit of a wash. The room we were in, while a nice big suite, was run down and tired. It seems the resort had recently lost a lot of it’s regular staff, who we had been seeing for years, to some of the newer resorts in the area. Things were lacking in every area, but I put my money where my mouth was and we still made the best of our vacation, despite all the disappointments. Some had nothing to do with the resort, itself. The beach was terribly eroded. Seaweed was high and it rained almost everyday we were there. Meh, not anyone’s fault… It just wasn’t the vacation we had hoped for.

This go around, we booked the least expensive room, in our favorite section. We just needed a relaxing, last minute getaway vacation, we knew we would get when we booked the Palladium Kantenah, again.

We arrived and found we had been put in the Colonial section. I don’t like Colonial section, that’s why I booked the Kantenah. I didn’t get a reason, but we were shown to our room, which was not at all what we wanted. The staff is great and we were taken to another room, which we accepted. It was a third floor king and this one was much quieter, I’m satisfied with this. The new rooms are the same old rooms, but they are nicely appointed. The furnishings have been updated, I don’t have a problem with the same old rooms, upgraded. The beds were much more comfortable, than previous visits and the room was nice and cool.

As this was our 10th, or possibly 11th visit, we were given VIP bracelets, which give us access to some of the adult and private areas around the resort.

While on the beach that morning, Eric from the spa approached us. I was in desperate need of a massage, so he had my full attention. If you book more than one spa service… FYI, the prices are cheaper. I enjoyed all three of my massages, no complaints and it really wasn’t that much more expensive than home. The spa also has a juice bar, which I didn’t know about, but I know now! I will post pictures of the menu, which has smoothies, fresh juices and lite snacks. I frequented the juice bar. If you are going to eat there, just keep in mind the snacks are flavorful, but light, meaning tiny. If you are hungry and order a sandwich… order two or three, they are more like bites.

While at my first spa service, on the first day, my husband decided to check out the new TRS section, with our VIP bracelets. He asked me to join him at the new infinity pool, after I was finished. "This place is friggen awesome!” He texted. As I walked through the TRS lobby, I had an wild urge come over me, check availability and prices. I did that. Next thing I know, my husband is texting me, where are you, did you get lost? No, honey, I’m here in the lobby getting us an upgrade. We went and saw the room, which was like ours which wasn’t ready yet. Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! I seriously tried to speak, but the only thing which would come out of my mouth, every time I opened it was, Wow!

We returned to pack up our original room, and wait for the call telling us, your new room is ready. We had a bellman come get us and our luggage and off we went to the TRS, expecting a jungle view room. The sweet lady at reception couldn’t hide her excitement. She tried to be poker faced, and not give away the surprise she had for us, but sorry… she didn’t hide it. I was so excited, I could not wait to see what she had done for us. We arrive at our room, again that old word, WOW! is the only thing which will come out of my open mouth. Are you kidding me, might have been the next thing. Then I opened up the curtains to our balcony, there’s that “WOW” word again, followed by a whole bunch of “thank you’s” The room is modern, stunning, well appointed, and I feel like I am not fancy enough for this place, but I accept!

We were starving by this time, so we went to the restaurant La Boheme. The level of service, again, everywhere is top notch. The food and the dining experience were outstanding. I mean, not everything is perfect, but tell me one place, one restaurant, or anything that is? There is definitely a language barrier to overcome and I do speak limited Spanish. I found that a lot of the waitstaff understand just enough and speak just enough, but don’t fully understand what you are asking for. Be patient with them, they seem like they speak English, but they probably understand as much English, as I understand Spanish, but because I speak it well, they think I know more. Same goes for them, just make sure they are clear on what you are asking for, even if they nod in agreement.

I could make this really long, giving every detail, I’ll try not to do that. I want to be totally honest and fair. People who do nothing but complain, when I see those reviews, I junk them. I won’t even give them the time of day. Neither will I entertain the glowing, everything was perfect, it was all great, best vacation ever, reviews… I want to give you an accurate, helpful report. Nothing is ever terrible, or perfect. Your attitude about everything, is what makes your vacation perfect, or terrible.

Palladium has really stepped up the quality of the food, particularly, and the options. The buffet food was quite good, with unlimited options. If you leave there unsatisfied, you might be too picky. There really are lots of options for every taste. It was all presented very well and great quality. I always thought the Palladium had good food, this is a whole new level of, more than good, bordering on great.

We only ate in the buffet that one time, because the restaurants at the TRS were just too good, to pass up. The restaurants are an actual dining experiences, now. I felt like I was in fine dining establishments in the states. Some of the food was outstanding, some was interesting, some was not for me… that’s ok… It was an experience.

The new Thai restaurant was quite good. We both had Pad Thai, which wasn’t maybe quite as good as a good Thai restaurant back home, but it was very tasty and done quite well by the chef. Service was fine, they were a little busy and there were two large families sitting across the restaurant, fighting… maybe? It was very unclear what was happening, but they were yelling things like, shut up, at each other. Even the kids were yelling at the other table. Then.. I wondered if they were two tables of the same large family, thinking they were cute and funny. It was not cute, or funny, it was obnoxious and we didn’t stay for dessert, because of it.

La Adelita has always been one of my favorite, go to, restaurants. I love the flavorful Tampiquena steak, the squash flower soup, the pumpkin creme brulee and a few other flavorful things. Much to my surprise, none of the things I went to La Adelita for, were on the menu. This was probably my most disappointing meal, mostly due to my expectations of my old favorites and standby’s not being offered. The food was good, just not as good as the things I wanted and expected.

Carpichio for Valentine’s dinner, it was a set menu, so you went in and you got what they set on your table. This was an unusual meal. The dinner lasted almost three hours and I think this was more of an issue with how many people they were trying to serve, the restaurant was packed! We had another couple join us that night, thank goodness, we had someone to talk to while we waited for each course. This night, we left hungry after dinner and walked over tot he buffet. I get what they are trying to do, and these chef’s are really giving us a taste of unique and the more upscale restaurants, as part of the new food scene. It was different than just about anything I have ever eaten. It was a fun experience, eating root vegetables out of edible dirt. It’s not as bad as it sounds, it’s food, it just looks like dirt. The dried, fried something on a stick, was interesting, but not flavorful. The cold duck dish was my favorite, but everyone else complained about what a weird duck thing that was. I’m weird, I guess, because I thought it was great!

This restaurant is also open for breakfast buffet and ala carte. We ate here the next morning and every subsequent morning, after. The food was great and again, unique breakfast items. There is a bloody Mary Bar, a Mimosa and champagne bar, as well as a coffee and liquor bar. I never intended to drink before… noon, but those dang bloody Mary’s enticed me every single morning!

This might have also been the day we discovered Helios, for lunch. I was still full from breakfast, but when you walk in and you see all that glorious, well prepared, well presented foods on display! You suddenly find room to eat more food. After our first lunch, here, we were hooked. We ate lunch here every day, for the remainder of our trip. Things at the buffets are served in single serve dishes of varying shapes, very appealing and well done. I didn’t plan to eat this much, in fact I said, this time I am not going to eat so much. Dang it Palladium!!! I ate too much and I’m holding you responsible! LOL!

We had dinner on our last night, at El Gaucho. I have some critiques of this restaurant, minor ones. The menu is tiny, in very small print and the restaurant is dark. There is no explanation of what things are, just a name. Please make the menu bigger, or provide reading lights with a magnifying glass… it was funny to see the four of us with our phone flashlights, can you read that? What is that? The food was good, but by the time we got to the main course, i was too full to take more than a a couple bites of my steak. I wanted to take that beautiful, perfectly cooked ribeye back to my room to chew on at midnight, or home to my dogs at east. Wasting it wrecked me, but we were all so full.

Keep in mind, most of the restaurants being mentioned are only available to TRS guests. Exceptions are LaAdelita and The Thai restaurant.

After our experience with the two families yelling, kids touching and licking everything at the buffet… Some of the stuff I saw made me afraid to eat there. Not because of the staff, or food, but kids wiping their noses, licking things and putting the spoons back, just kid stuff… But flu seasons had us a little freaked out. Our kids are all grown and gone. If I was a parent of young children, I probably wound’t think anything of it. All I saw was a very loud germ fest, loud families, being families. Nothing wrong with that, I just prefer the adult, quiet, more mature crowd. I guess it’s official, I’m getting old. We want to take our kids and grandkids and when that happens, we will be the loud family with the kids licking and touching everything. So it’s not a judgement, just a preference.

Our room, well, it was beautiful. Le Occetane products, well stocked mini fridge, surprise snacks left for us, turn down services, day and night butlers, room service… The beds are soft, and comfortable. Everything is plush, no complaints about our pillows. The room never seemed to cool off and this was an issue for us. It seemed cooler during the days, but when night time hit, we would both just lay there and puddle. We contacted someone, everyday, about this issue. We were told, the entire system is being worked on and should be back up and running soon. We had maintenance come up one night after that and verify it wasn’t working right, wasn’t putting out cold air. He said he needed to get in the roof because the last guests complained about it being too cold and they had shut off the vent. Great! I had already run a bath, and it’s in a very public area, so I wasn’t able to take the bath until this was resolved. He said he would come back in 10 minutes or less. We waited for 30 and he never came back. It was late, my bath was now cold and the room was still hot. The next day we were told it had been fixed, but it never did get better. The ONE thing I really need at night, is cool, if I am going to have a good nights sleep, my husband too. The toilets are mounted really high, and at 5’6” my feet didn’t touch the ground, when I was sitting. Ergonomically, this puts your body in a weird position, for business, I recommend they buy squatty potty’s for every room, or an equivalent stool. That’s a bit of a joke, but also not really a joke… something there needs to change. The drawers and even the toilet seat have automatic closure. You begin to lead them in the direction they need to go and they do it all by themselves. That fancy option took me a while to adjust to, now my drawers and cabinets at home are being left ajar.

I have to say, the Palladium and the TRS have set the bar extremely high for me and for themselves. The service, the food, the amenities are all pretty much top notch. There isn’t much room for improvement, and I hope they can keep up this level of excellence. I honestly am afraid to go to any other resort, because the bar has been set so high, i will compare them, to this experience. The other downside of that… with exception of the A/C in our room, I really have no complaints. In my experience, once you have had the best experience, everything else afterwards is disappointing. Could a subsequent trip to TRS possibly match, or even top this one? Ugh, I’m scared it might not.

So, I will do my best, to look at each place we visit and each trip as itself, individual, and not compare it to past. Also, i ask that you don’t have expectations, based on my review. You may hate the food and presentations, which I was so impressed by. You might love the room not being cold. All I can do is put this out there, for anyone who reads, this is my honest and fair assessment.

I am partial to the Palladium and the staff. I am not a Travel Club member, but it is the place I choose to return, again and again, for my vacations. I’m grateful for this beautiful place, this beautiful beach and the wonderful staff. I feel especially blessed that we found Palladium on our first visit to the Riviera Maya. We have compared other resorts for consideration. We have even booked other resorts, but we always end up changing our reservation, coming home to Palladium. That’s what it feels like, home. We do travel all over, and have experienced many other places, besides Palladium. Palladium in Mexico is our go to Resort, but we also have rented condos in the area, so this isn’t our only exposure to Mexico and the Riviera Maya. We have also stayed at Akumal Beach Resort in the area, before they upgraded their facilities. When we come home to the Palladium, and the staff says, welcome home… We truly feel, home. Great job guys!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rucruizin

Dear rucruizin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience during your first days of holidays in Grand Palladium Colonial.

We appreciate your feedback and although, we are a bit sad to know that you noticed some changes in our staff, we are glad that you made the most of your holiday.

Your kind remarks regarding the check in experience and your impression of the rooms has been transmitted to our Management for consideration.

We feel very sorry to read that the beach had seaweed during your stay, as you might know this is a natural phenomenon that is seasonal and our team does great effort to clean our beach every day; we will continue with our determination to maintain the beautiful beach all our guests re expecting to enjoy.

It is truly wonderful that you decided to upgrade to our TRS Yucatán Hotel for adults and we are thrilled because you enjoyed a unique experience there.

We so much look forward to welcome you in any of our Hotels, where you will always be pampered by our family, in your home away home!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

This was our first time in Mexico and at a GP hotel and we were not disappointment! Set by the beach and surrounded by mangrove and jungle, this is an impeccably maintained and expansive resort with two massive main pools (we preferred the quieter one in white sands) complete with swim up bars!
The cocktails were better than any I've had at other hotels and I really don't understand the negative reviews about the food. There's so much choice and I would highly recommend the Japanese and steak and ribs restaurants.

For anyone wishing to explore the area independently, the collectivo runs on the highway outside the resort and is a cheap, efficient and safe way to get around.

We can't wait to return!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Stephanie T
Rosa R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Dear Stephanie,

Thanks for the wonderful privilege of being your chosen hotel during your first visit to Mexico, it has been a real honor to receive you in this beautiful paradise of the Riviera Maya during your vacations.

We are thrilled to know that you loved our enchanting natural surroundings and that you were especially satisfied with the choices of food in our buffet and the excellent cuisine in our ala carte restaurants and the delicious cocktail of our bars.

Our team will be so motivated by your kind feedback and valuable recommendation; we look forward giving you a warm welcome back and offer you again a fantastic vacation!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2018

We have been to this resort 7 times in the past 12 years. The changes to the food areas and food quality are not for the better. Pools are great. It was windy for half of the stay so we avoided the ocean beach.. but when it was calm, we really like hanging at the ocean. Felt safe and had fun, but its time to move on. Probably will not return.

Stayed: March 2018
4  Thank CropseyVacation
Rosa R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all Palladium family, we want to thank you for your preference, as it has been a pleasure having your trust during these 12 years and sharing with you the changes of our Hotel.

We understand that not all changes haven been of your liking especially in terms of food and we want to apologize for this, we wish we have more details that could help us guide our team in what you consider could be the right direction to fulfill your expectations, as there is no better way to improve than knowing what our guests would like to receive.

We remain confident that we will have the pleasure to pamper you again, if you are already on your 7th visit and have all the records of your past visits, you will be given a Golden bracelet on your 8th visit, which gives you access to the exclusive facilities, including pools, restaurants, bars and the new Chic Cabaret of our TRS Yucatán Hotel, this is on of the ways we honor your trust and show you our appreciation!

Please do not hesitate to contact us the next time you decide to return to our paradise and your home away home!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2018

We spent the first week of April at the Colonial- overall we had a good solid experience with the resort and people that work at the resort. At check-in we were even offered an upgrade to the White Sands without even asking- but turned it down since we were traveling with others already staying at the Colonial.

We had a Jr. Suite- the room was great for the 3 of us- could it use some updates- sure- but it was spacious and kept very clean everyday- what more do you need. The only one issue I didn't like- the A/C doesn't continue to run when you are out of the room- so every time you come back to the room- you have to wait for the room to cool back down.

The Pool and Beach were great- lots of seaweed on the beach- but you can work around it. The Pool area is great and never over crowded- we were able to find chairs everyday.

The Buffets and Restaurants- overall I would say the food is nothing spectacular- but that's something you just need to accept with in all-inclusive. Lots of options and always something you can find that you never go hungry. The night Restaurants were better than I expected- we did the Brazilian, the Italian, the Beach BBQ, the Spanish Tapas, the Mexican, and the Japanese restaurant. Best food was the Brazilian and Worst food was the Beach BBA. We were a group of 9 - so we made reservations each night for our options.

Overall- we all enjoyed our week at the resort and had no real issues.....Would we go back- possibly- but with some many other islands to explore- maybe not for a bit....

Room Tip: Request a Villa close to the pool or beach- to save walking time
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank mic716
Rosa R, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for deciding to spend your spring break holidays with us in our Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa.

We are delighted to know that you and your group had a great time enjoying the comfortable rooms you had in Colonial, the buffets and different restaurant options and the wonderful pool area.

Rest assured that the beach does not always have seaweed, this is a natural phenomenon that occurs seasonally and our team works endlessly to maintain the beauty of our Caribbean beach so you can enjoy it.

We also appreciate that you point out your experience with the Beach BBQ, this information will be uses by the corresponding departments to focus on improving the food in this special event done every week under the stars, with the sounds of waves and live music.

It will be a pleasure welcoming you after your trips to other many islands, do let us know when you decide to return, to arrange every detail and offer you a remarkable experience!

Kind regards,