There are a few reasons why we have returned to the Grand Palladium 5 times:
1. Food – there are 10 specialty restaurants, not including the buffets and snack bars. You no longer need reservations for these restaurants; however, after 7 there can be a wait. They will give you a “beeper” so you can go enjoy some drinks in the lobby or do some shopping (vendors are usually in the Colonial lobby every night). If you want to enjoy the “Show” table at the Japanese restaurant, be sure to be at the restaurant by 5 to make a reservation that day. Our favorites are Ribs & More and Portofino. Yes, as other people say, the buffets at breakfast and lunch have the same thing every day; however, there is a huge variety of food so it’s not as if you have to eat the same thing every day. The buffets change their dinner theme every night.
2. Rooms – the rooms are spacious and kept clean. If you leave a good tip you will get some great towel animals. They replenish your mini-fridge every 2 or 3 days. The pillows can be a little hard, so I just bring my own. We’ve always had plenty of towels. As a return guest, we received an upgrade to a Junior Suite.
3. Location/layout – while this is one of the farther resorts from Cancun airport (about 1 hour and 15 minutes), the resort is gorgeous. The hotel buildings are only 3 stories. They have flamingos by the lobby and beautiful plants and flowers throughout the resort. There are coi swimming around all the restaurants, as well as an alligator pen by the Colonial poolside buffet. This is a huge resort (takes about 30+ minutes to walk from one end to the other). But if you don’t want to walk, no need to worry as there are at least 5 restaurants and bars, as well as a theater, within a 10 minute walk. Plus, there are shuttles that run constantly between the resorts.
4. Beach/Pool – one word – GORGEOUS. While there is some coral and you need to be careful (swimmy shoes are great) – there are also some nice sandy areas. You can walk out pretty far without going over your head. There are plenty of chairs, and plenty of shade. If you want to snorkel on the reefs off the beach, simply go and sign out some snorkeling gear for free. You can also take a snorkeling trip from the beach and swim with the sea turtles and sting rays at Akumel Beach. If you want quiet, you can go to one of the adult pools.
5. Entertainment – hmm, maybe I should have put this one first. Kudos to the entertainment/fun team, run by Ricardo Canales. These guys and gals work their butts off to make sure everyone has a great time. There are activities planned every hour (you will get a schedule at check-in). Most of the “team” are multi-lingual and seem to really enjoy their jobs. They also participate in the nightly shows in the theaters (they do 2 of the weekly shows) as well as go to any special parties (White Party) and they usually end up in the disco at the end of the night. It’s great to see some of the same faces every year – Julio and Memo we look forward to seeing you again next year. It’s hard to say good-bye to them every year. Also, the dancers do a great job. Yes, they do the same dances every week, but c’mon – when you are doing 2 different shows a night, 5 days a week that’s pretty good. The Rock Show and Pirate Show are the best.
I will continue to recommend Palladium to everyone who asks. We have stayed at a couple of other resorts in Riviera Maya, but always come back to Palladium.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is located on a spectacular, private Caribbean beach-front complex that boasts of 800 meters of white, fine sand and turquoise blue waters. Guests of the Grand Palladium Colonial are invited to use the facilities provided by the adjoining Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa, the Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa, and the Grand Palladium Riviera Resort & Spa, with the exception of the Royal Suite facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Colonial Hotel
- Hotel Grand Palladium Colonial
- Grand Palladium Mexico
- Palladium Colonial Resort
- Grand Palladium Spa
- Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa Akumal, Riviera Maya, Mexico