“We Keep Coming Back”

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 May 2012

There are a few reasons why we have returned to the Grand Palladium 5 times:

1. Food – there are 10 specialty restaurants, not including the buffets and snack bars. You no longer need reservations for these restaurants; however, after 7 there can be a wait. They will give you a “beeper” so you can go enjoy some drinks in the lobby or do some shopping (vendors are usually in the Colonial lobby every night). If you want to enjoy the “Show” table at the Japanese restaurant, be sure to be at the restaurant by 5 to make a reservation that day. Our favorites are Ribs & More and Portofino. Yes, as other people say, the buffets at breakfast and lunch have the same thing every day; however, there is a huge variety of food so it’s not as if you have to eat the same thing every day. The buffets change their dinner theme every night.

2. Rooms – the rooms are spacious and kept clean. If you leave a good tip you will get some great towel animals. They replenish your mini-fridge every 2 or 3 days. The pillows can be a little hard, so I just bring my own. We’ve always had plenty of towels. As a return guest, we received an upgrade to a Junior Suite.

3. Location/layout – while this is one of the farther resorts from Cancun airport (about 1 hour and 15 minutes), the resort is gorgeous. The hotel buildings are only 3 stories. They have flamingos by the lobby and beautiful plants and flowers throughout the resort. There are coi swimming around all the restaurants, as well as an alligator pen by the Colonial poolside buffet. This is a huge resort (takes about 30+ minutes to walk from one end to the other). But if you don’t want to walk, no need to worry as there are at least 5 restaurants and bars, as well as a theater, within a 10 minute walk. Plus, there are shuttles that run constantly between the resorts.

4. Beach/Pool – one word – GORGEOUS. While there is some coral and you need to be careful (swimmy shoes are great) – there are also some nice sandy areas. You can walk out pretty far without going over your head. There are plenty of chairs, and plenty of shade. If you want to snorkel on the reefs off the beach, simply go and sign out some snorkeling gear for free. You can also take a snorkeling trip from the beach and swim with the sea turtles and sting rays at Akumel Beach. If you want quiet, you can go to one of the adult pools.

5. Entertainment – hmm, maybe I should have put this one first. Kudos to the entertainment/fun team, run by Ricardo Canales. These guys and gals work their butts off to make sure everyone has a great time. There are activities planned every hour (you will get a schedule at check-in). Most of the “team” are multi-lingual and seem to really enjoy their jobs. They also participate in the nightly shows in the theaters (they do 2 of the weekly shows) as well as go to any special parties (White Party) and they usually end up in the disco at the end of the night. It’s great to see some of the same faces every year – Julio and Memo we look forward to seeing you again next year. It’s hard to say good-bye to them every year. Also, the dancers do a great job. Yes, they do the same dances every week, but c’mon – when you are doing 2 different shows a night, 5 days a week that’s pretty good. The Rock Show and Pirate Show are the best.

I will continue to recommend Palladium to everyone who asks. We have stayed at a couple of other resorts in Riviera Maya, but always come back to Palladium.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank JackieS1322
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear JackieS1322,

Thank you for share with us your complete review about your vacation in Grand Palladium. It's a pleasure to know that you have had a nice time with us this year too.

I would like to comment that the minibar is refilled every day.

Thank you for recommend Palladium to everyone. I will share your comments with the rest of the team.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

With best regards,

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Just back today. Can't believe we left that beautiful place to return home to dreary rain.
The palladium was beautiful and sooo close to perfect. My only critizism would be the amount of coral in the water but that makes for great snorkelling. The food was fabulous the service was more than fabulous. Had a great time at the beach, the weather was perfect. We went on a fishing tour that we booked through the resort that was an especially great day. Those guys on the boat where very professional they didn't take their eyes off the fishing lines. We caught three big sailfish, a barracuda and a couple of smallish fish. Can't remember their name but they had a table set up near the pool at the colonial. Highly recommend them.

Room Tip: Stayed in Villa 8. Was close to the beach and the White Sands Lobby. Was pretty quite there, no no...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Brenda L
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Brenda L,

Thank you for your share with us your excellent comments. I appreciate your time and I am glad to know that you have had a great vacation with us.

With best regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel in the beginning of April and i feel that it is only fair for you to all know the truth about this hotel.

Good points:

This hotel has beautiful communial grounds, lots of wildlife, ok beach (lots of rocks in the water, but very scenic) and a large range of swimming pools. This is all.

Bad points:

Fistly I would like to mention how rude and unfriendly the majority of the staff are at this particualr hotel. I have travelled to many countries and have stopped at a variety of hotels and I can honestly say that this resort is the worst. I did not feel welcome. There is simply no customer service. I felt as if I was bothering them when asking for a drink (especially at the swim up bar in the colonial pool and also at the beach bar). The food was always cold at the beach bar , if there was any at all, never any cups, condiments, nachos etc. The waitresses always took their time to take your order, and even then they did not understand what you wanted as they did not speak English! When you did order food there was no hurry and would often take 40 mins for it's arrival!

The food in the a la carte restaurants in the evening was very poor and definitley not of a 5 star quality! Always cold and menus very limited! There was always about an hour wait for a table which i did not understand why as the restaurants always seemed to have spare tables! Strange if you ask me! At each of the restaurants, including the buffets, it was almost impossible to receive a drink, even when our orders had been taken it was not guaranteed we would actually get our drinks!

Rooms were very dated and beds and pillows very uncomfortable, might as well have slept in the bath! Not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel!!!! And yes there is a pillow menu for an extra charge, but why should i have to pay to have a decent nights sleep?!!!!! Not acceptable!!! TV's extremely old, didnt work!!! fridges not cold, used bottles (not ours!) put in fridge! ice machine never had ice. rooms very dark. I left a tip for the maid on a daily basis, however one day i had no small notes and decided to tip double the next day. my mistake as my room was not cleaned!!! I should not have to tip to get my room cleaned!!!! Again, not acceptable!!

There is no room service at this hotel and the only way of getting food once the restaurants had closed was to treck down to the beach. There is no waiter service around the pool or on the beach which i have always received at previous resorts!

Impossible to get drinks at any of the bars, bar staff only wanted to know you when you had dollar in your hands!! Alchohol watered down.

When booking this holiday i believed that it this was a family hotel, well thats what it said in the brochure. Boy was i wrong!! On the second week of our stay we were bombarded by Spanish students, drunk, fighting, swearing (in English), stealing towels (which incurred a $20 fine when lost), stealing sunbeds, shouting, screaming, even more difficult to get a drink at the bar! They were very rude and i was often made to feel intimidated! I did not feel like i was on the relaxing far away holiday I was sold by my travel agents, instead i felt as though i was on an 18-30 holiday! I am completely disgusted with the hotel allowing these oragnised university trips to a family hotel!

I paid a lot of money for this holiday and I have returned home feeling extremely deflated and let down. This is definitely the worst hotel i have ever stayed at, and this was the most expensive! Please, please, please do not do the same as I and book this hotel, you will be severly disappointed! I will 100% never be returning to this resort.

If you do decide to visit this resort make sure you bring lots of insect repellant!! Lots of mosqitos!!!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow!! And a blow up bed!! Or a room at a different hotel!!
9  Thank Hanay_Anne
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Hanay_Anne,

I want to give you our apologizes for all inconveniences that you have had during your vacation.

Regarding the bar & restaurants service, sometimes, it is difficult for us to be as fast as we would like. But I can assure you that we are continually exhausting every effort in order to improve and better our service every day.

It is always better to advise to front desk staff, management or your agency representative, about your discontent in general, this would be very helpful for us to take immediate action at the time you were here.

We will take very seriously each of your comments in order to improve our performance day after day.

If you change your opinion and you decide visit our hotel in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was our first trip to Palladium (April 2012) and our fifth trip to the Mayan Rivieria area. The positive reviews that you've read regarding this resort are true, so don't get caught up in the negative (I do have some constructive feedback for management though that I'll suggest-below).

The resort has a jungle feeling with lots of wild life to see. The buffets offer plenty of variety, something for everyone. I was pleased to see lamb offered on many occations. If you went to the la cartes around 6-6:30 you wouldn't get caught in the line ups if that is important to you. We got upgraded to a mayan suite, which I noticed from the reviews that I've read is quite a common thing. The mayan suites are like small villas, units of 4. We had a hammock on our patio and of course the famous 'outdoor' shower (we were in unit 31). The upgrade was a nice touch.

The resort is making many efforts to accommodate those with allergies and sensitivies (hats off to you). When you check in you can ask for an allergy card to present at the resturants to the server and they will offer you a different menu. For example I took the celiacs card because I have wheat sensitivies. At the Ribs n More I tried the gluten free bread and brownie. As most who are gluten free know, our products don't stay fresh so they get frozen. Unfortunately my gluten free choices were obviously in the freezer too long because they had that freezer taste (very strong). I was disappointed but very much appreciated the effort. The large buffets offered soy and lactose free milk in the mornings. Offering hand sanitizers at the lg buffets was also a nice touch.

I was a little surprised how frequently I smelled sewer in random areas. Don't get me wrong it wasn't everywhere and it certainly didn't bother me but I think management should be alert to it and perhaps ensure when they can that it is limited.

We camped out at the beach everyday. There were several snack/bar/washroom areas which I thought was great. I do think though that the washrooms could have been kept a little cleaner, often they'd be low or ran out of toliet paper as well. One bathroom had a broken toliet seat the whole week. The beach was beautiful but for me was surprisingly narrow (of course not resorts fault :-). I love to walk the beach several times a day so I found I was weaving through people doing the same thing.

A couple other things, that are purely suggestions: They could really use more servers serving coffee/juice at the buffets in the mornings but for me I honestly didn't mind getting it myself. I often found myself on the hunt for a spoon, they are randomly placed around the buffet but often not enough. It is true what you read about the pillows, they truely are hard. It is nice that they offer the ability to upgrade them (for a fee) but I don't think it should cost, just have softer pillows in the rooms.

All of the staff were great, they work so hard and deserve our utmost courteousness. I have to mention Rafel the floor manager at the buffets. He was extremely helpful when I had food questions and was always friendly when we crossed paths.

We enjoyed our stay and though I had suggestions, to me they were not issues and certainly didn't stop me from having a great trip. If you go I don't think you'll be disappointed. Make sure you check out the saltwater pool right on the ocean's edge and the adult pool was very peaceful. We would recommend this resort.

**side suggestion** if you are interested in a scuba excursion Scuba Tony in Cozomel was excellent. You'll find him on tripadvisor. You can take the collectevo ($3) to Play de Carmen and then leave there and take the ferry to Cozomel ($15 each way)

10  Thank Ann-Marie H
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear NS_Annie,

I would like to give you thank you for your complete review. I appreciate your time because this information it's very important for us. I will take note about each comment and I will see this with our team.

Please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Long trip and you definatley need more than 1 week to appreciate the hotel. Anyway we had a great time the food was excellent,the staff where warm friendly and curtious the place is spotless, Take some trousers if you want to eat in al a carte resturant. Take plenty of mosi spray you'll need it. Just had anamazing holiday.

3  Thank Marknlorraine
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Marknlorraine,

Thank you for your comments and for your time.