21 people have started booking this hotel
Hotels.comUS$ 385
TravelocityUS$ 385
Agoda.comUS$ 413
8,303 results
All reviews sushi bar akumal bay one man band paddle boarding beach manager fidelity club lobby bar yoga studio fish gourmet restaurant the penthouse sea turtles jacuzzi on the balcony main pool activities staff brazilian steakhouse ocean view
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 May 2021 via mobile

My husband and I have been to ABBWR 8 times and absolutely love it! We love the views, entertainment, food and staff. Our favorite part of the day is listening to Raymond Cardenas in the lobby bar after an early dinner. He is a very talented singer/song writer/pianist. If you are looking for a relaxing beach vacation, this is the place to go. We can't wait to return!

2  Thank Holly L
Reviewed 26 May 2021 via mobile

Typically we like smaller hotels with less crowds (kids) but we wanted to try this hotel for the beach and because it had really good reviews and was basically a 5 star resort. We had came here off of a 5 night stay at Zoetry on Isla Mujeres which was amazing as usual, you would know if you have ever stayed there. We were very excited to try this hotel and very optimistic that it would be just as nice as Zoetry. Boy we were wrong. Most of our complaints could be boiled down to unexperienced leadership, skimping on spending and staff in my mind. I honestly don’t know how people rave about this place being a 5 star hotel. It really makes me feel like they haven’t truly stayed at a 5 star hotel in their lives. So here we go. Some complaints about our room that in the end don’t really matter but it all adds up; deck sliding door wouldn’t open, AC wouldn’t cool below 76, a few nights into our stay it had rained and water had leaked thru a light into our room, we told the front desk about it and they said they would send someone up immediately to check it out and they didn’t. We had a penthouse suite and it was definitely not worth the extra money. On to the food and drinks. The food is a 4/10. The only option for breakfast is the buffet which other than the omelet bar is so blah it’s not even funny and the options are so repetitive and monotonous. The food is usually also cold. Most of the “Mexican” cuisine at the buffet is just stuffed with cheese. The best restaurant by far was the Mexican one. The tacos were so good and the fresh coconut desert was awesome. The gourmet restaurant was really good the first night we went, then terrible the next. It’s seems like they need to take some attention and money from that place and put it into other areas of the hotel. Onto the drinks. They were about a 2/10. The only beer option is Dos Equis. So you better like that if you want beer. The blended drinks ALWAYS had massive ice chips in them which was probably caused by a 1990’s looking blender and only blending them for about 5 seconds. Even some assorted shots had huge pieces of ice in them. Very off putting. There were only 3 mid tier bottles of alcohol that I saw (Malibu, captain Morgan, and Smirnoff). The drinks were not very tasty to say the least. The service around the pool was not at a level in which it needed to be. The servers were very nice and friendly but there was only one every day for the pool which had about 30-40 people around it at any given time. We sometimes went 45 minutes without getting check on. We’ve stayed at hotels where there are 10 people at the pool and they have 3-4 servers walking around constantly ( Zoetry on Isla Mujeres) all in all this resort did not live up to our expectations and hopes. I think we’re going to stick to staying on Isla from now on. Please take this review into consideration if you like good service, drinks, food and rooms. Thank you for your time.

3  Thank Hoodrat979
Reviewed 25 May 2021

My wife and I spent 8 glorious days in early May at this resort and we loved every minute of it. We had room 1310 Penthouse suite and the views are stunning. Very spacious and the air worked well and the internet was better than at home.
We were both burned out from working nonstop for the past 15 months thanks to COVID.
We wanted a week to recover from that and spent most of our days on the beach with a book in 1 hand and a drink in the other. There could be a better selection of beer but I was ok with the one on tap and had plenty of whiskey sours, long islands, pina coladas and some bloody Mary’s sprinkled in.
We met some wonderful new friends throughout the week and had so much fun that 6 of us are returning in late September to reunite for more memories.
The water was rough most days but 2 were fairly calm and I walked in the water in the morning and saw several stingrays and fish swimming around me right near the shore.
1 day we took pictures of an awesome waterspout! So cool.
The staff were spot on as advertised, everyone so friendly and helpful. The resort is beautiful, quiet for the most part and some bands in the evenings until 11 or so.
The food was pretty good, great selection for the buffet and breakfast had several options including a homemade omelet. We ate at Kooben twice for dinner and had filet both times. Very good! The big disappointment was the Brazilian was closed down due to COVID but learned they opened up the day after we left, lol. Bummer for me! Maybe next time.
We will be back in the Fall and recommend staying here.

Room tip: The penthouse suites are a little more but well worth it for the views alone
1  Thank KirtK_12
Reviewed 25 May 2021 via mobile

We arrived via private transfer and were greeted with a cold margarita and immediately checked in. We were upgraded to a penthouse with flowers for our 20th anniversary. The view was great but it did not get cool enough. Requested a moved to garden view which we were given. The food was fantastic. Loved the chicken fajitas from the snack bar or sushi lunch. The gourmet restaurant was our favorite for night. The buffet was Chinese food themed last night and so good. This was my 6th time to Akumal and second to ABBWR. It is a very special place with staff the goes above and beyond anywhere I have been and we have been all over the Caribbean. Can’t wait to get back.

Room tip: Try the caipirinhas!
1  Thank cynthia e
Reviewed 24 May 2021 via mobile

This was a lucky find for my wife and I. Very relaxing, great environment, love the entertainment, and the food met our expectations. Great dive shop on site with two awesome dive guides(Michele and Aramis).

Excellent service with and excellent staff!!

I have read all the reviews prior to our visit and as always we get a bit concerned about the negative comments. I state this up front, we have not experienced any of the reported negative comments in previous reviews.

Definitely a favorite on our list and a resort we will revisit.

Date of stay: April 2021