5,817 results
All reviews sushi bar one man band akumal bay paddle boarding fidelity club lobby bar beach manager yoga classes fish gourmet restaurant the penthouse jacuzzi on the balcony sea turtles sushi chef main pool brazilian steakhouse stayed in building
Reviewed 23 November 2016

My wife and I just returned from five really great days at the ABBWR. As I write this, there are almost 3000 reviews for this resort so let me try to talk about a few things that others haven't mentioned too much.

Food and Beverage - As with all AI resorts, you have the chance to eat and drink whatever you want. With the booze, the quality is very good (i.e. Absolut and Stoli vodka) but not great (Grey Goose). My wife and I ate at all four of the themed restaurants and found something positive from each of them. The Gourmet was probably the most disappointing. Maybe because there were so many positive reviews we had some unrealistic expectations. The steakhouse was surprisingly very good. I NEVER eat at a steak house. I own a big green egg and haven't found anyone who can cook a steak better than a big green egg steak. However,..... Wow. The New York Strip special at the steakhouse was over the top!

Spa - My wife and I wanted to treat ourselves so we went to the spa late one afternoon. We were told by the staff we were only the second people to use the spa for the entire day!! Honestly, I'm not surprised. It's incredibly expensive!! When you compare the spa to the overall cost of the resort, it's ridiculous. Look, you can get an awesome daily rate from Apple vacations which cost less than $250/night per couple for your room, food, beverages and activities. However, when two one hour spa treatments cost more than that, people are gonna walk away from the spa. Great service. Stupid high prices.

Yoga - OK. I lied. Everyone else talks about how great the yoga is. They are right. My wife does a lot of yoga so I thought I'd tag along for a session or two. It was really cool. Hiram is great!!

People - It's a really great mix of Europeans and North Americans. The first part of our week had almost zero kids. Then, when we hit the Saturday before Thanksgiving, the American families came pouring in. Everyone was very respectful of everyone else. Just a really wonderful atmosphere.

Is this resort a clear 5 star resort? Probably not but it's close. However, value for money makes this place an absolute amazing deal. On our way back to the airport, we shared a van with a couple of comes to ABBWR twice a year. They had just made their 31st visit! Wow. That says it all.

Room Tip: Building 2 if you want to be near the action. Building 3 was still very close but a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jilliandad
ABBWR, Guest Relations Manager at Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2016

Dear Jilliandad,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your feedback about Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort.

It is always a pleasure to know our friends opinion in order to continue to provide them with the best service possible.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back anytime soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2016

I loved everything about this resort, but the thing that truly sets it apart is the yoga wellness program. Without it, it is still a wonderful resort, but the yoga experience was transcending. Eliu, Claudio, Tulip and Harim are a gift. Eliu offers joy and life to each acro yoga class and connects with each person, Tulip has a gentle and expert style, Claudio's sound baths are healing and Harim's caring and insightful classes are extremely relaxing. I wish everyone knew how amazing these people are. They made my time in Akumal unforgettable and I would come back to this resort for this reason only. Plus, the margaritas right off the shuttle are pretty nice.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kristy B

Dear Kristy B,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent experience at Akumal Bay – Beach & Wellness Resort.

It is a pleasure to know we were able to provide you with a relaxing holiday right on the beach.

We greatly appreciate you mentioning our Yoga instructors.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future to your new “home under the sun”.

Reviewed 22 November 2016

I cannot say enough great things about Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort. The food was great, the ambiance was perfect and the staff was attentive and so delightful. The spa services offered were a blend of unique and classic. I enjoyed a massage with Joselito and had a transformative experience. He is a truly gifted therapist and took great care with me. He was perfectly professional and warm at the same time. The classes offered were also amazing. I took 2 classes with Eliu and found his energy contagious. He has a great passion and a knowledge that he is able to easily teach to others. His classes were so fun and grounding and unique. I would definitely return to this resort!

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong with any room at this resort as they are all beach front and have amazing views!
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank AleeshaKS

Dear AleeshaKS,

We would like to express our gratitude for the time you have taken to share your review.

Our staff members are one of our biggest assets and it is thanks to their efforts, kindness and smiles we are able to provide this unique kind of service.

Once again we greatly appreciate your feedback and will be waiting to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 November 2016

My Husband and I have been to many all-inclusive resorts in a few different countries and I think we finally found one that we will be returning to! The price you pay for this resort is worth every penny!
I challenge you to find a BEACHFRONT, full ocean view room with 24-hour room service and little touches like a stocked mini-fridge and robe and slippers in the room for this price. Some much higher priced resorts (*cough* Sandals!) charge huge premiums for these kinds of things and they are all included in your room here.
Also, the beach here is one of the best ones we have been to. It is very rare to have a beach that is good for both swimming and snorkeling but you can do both of those things here!
What really sold us on this place was the Yoga! 6 classes a day and we enjoyed every class in the huge, amazing pavilion on the ocean. Some days have clinics to improve your skills such as inversions for example. All of the classes we attended were high quality. These people really know what they are doing!
I feel that we got our moneys worth, however, I wouldn't pay any more than we did to stay at this resort for a few reasons:
- Rooms are very basic. They could use a rug on the floor, soap dish in the bathroom, a dresser to put clothes, and some better quality soaps and shampoos.
- The buffet food is good but the rest of the food and drinks aren't as good as other AI's we've been to.
- The resort should be adults-only. The amenities for kids appeared to be lacking but we did not have any children with us so I'm not sure what exactly the kids club was like.
- The live music in the evenings is a great idea, however, most of the bands were pretty terrible (think elevator music).
- Music by the main pool needs to be more consistent throughout the day. It would turn on and off for no reason and be either too loud or not loud enough. Normally people sitting by the main pool are looking for a little more "action". The people who want peace and quiet had lots of other options throughout the property.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor for better views. The best ground floor units are down by the yoga pavilion.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mnrbc
ABBWR, Guest Relations Manager at Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2016

Dear mnrbc,

We are looking forward to welcoming you back anytime soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2016

Just recently stayed for a week in mid-October. This was the second time staying at the resort at the same time of year. I stayed with four of my girlfriends for our annual ladies trip! The resort was just as excellent as our last stay. I reviewed the resort last year as well.

I will mention a couple of my favourite things and people at the resort.
Things:
1) the beach- crystal clear, no rocks, calm waters and lots of sea life, amazing snorkelling
2) pools - well maintained, great temperature and not too crowded
3) food - fantastic, mexican restaurant(least favourite), gourmet(most favourite), buffet has a great selection, and poolside fresh sushi is a must
4) drinks - good selection and quick service to the beach
5) rooms - clean and well maintained, the bed is extremely comfortable, air conditioning works well
6) yoga- amazing instructors in a beautiful space

People:
1) Marbella at the pool and beach for drink service. Thank you from "jennifer lopez" and the girls!
2) Captain Genaro at the buffet for the excellent service at the buffet and at the gourmet restaurant.
3) Leo and Aldiel for entertaining us at the Disco and poolside.
4) Wilbert in the lobby bar. He made us laugh everyday and served up the best morning cappucino's.

The only downside for me at the hotel is that there are no drawers in the hotel room. There is a closet with a shelf but that's it. There should be drawers in the room so you can unpack and not have to leave stuff everywhere in the room. Please buy furniture that has drawers! Then I would rate you 6 stars instead of 5, if I could.

Thanks for another great vacation!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jenn458

Dear Jenn458,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is very pleasant to read reviews like yours that highlight with details every little thing that you have enjoyed in Akumal Bay – Beach & Wellness Resort and please rest assured that the staff mentioned will be recognized for the excellent service provided to you and will be receiving the kind comments you shared.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home under the sun for your next visit anytime soon.