“VERY ENJOYABLE TIME”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just returned home from one week at the Grand Palladium and have to say for the most part it was a very relaxing and enjoyable time. We met some great people from all over Canada and the USA. The adult pool I have to say was the best place to be. The bartender at the adult pool made the best drinks anywhere on the resort. What I like the most about the adult pool is that you can sit in the very comfy lounge chairs and still enjoy the ocean view and the ocean breezes. When it comes to the food - it's just ok - you can always find something you like so you never go hungry. I did get some kind of stomach thing happending one day and thought that it must of been something I ate. One week was definitely enough at this resort.

Just three real complaints. Upon our arrival at 3am in the morning. We were given a room key and told our luggage would be brought to our room. We found our room and entered - and to our surprise the room was already occupied. Needless to say we did not stick around long - we promptly went back to the front desk to let them know their mistake - the could of cared less about it. Just said Oh, here take this other room and gave us a new room. No appologies nothing. Our second room was unoccupied - thank goodness as we were rather exhausted. Our room faced the Royal Suites near their outdoor dining area. On our fifth night at the resort at 2am in the morning the hotel decides that they are going to fumigate the kitchen area. This is a very loud process and woke everyone up on that side of the hotel. That did not impress me either. And our last issue was wake up calls at 8am in the morning which we did not ask for. Our first two mornings we got wakeup calls. When I phoned down - of course no one knew nothing. So from then on we just unplug our phone at night. If the management is reading this review - I would suggest that you listen to your guests problems that were experienced at your hotel and improve on your customer service.

The hotel also has two showers for late check out guests. This is a great option however not nearly enough showers for everyone wanting to use them. We did want a late check out but were refused one due to the hotel being book.

These issues were experienced did not take away for the great time we had they are just worth mentioning in hopes that the management will read this review and take notes.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank drassarb
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear drassarb,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and for taking the time to give us your feedback, as management we really do care and pay special attention to our guest’s comments. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

We are working every day in order to improve our services and we really appreciate all comments that help us to know which we are falling and to be a better hotel.

We are glad to understand that you had a great time during your stay, and please, do not hesitate to contact us if you decide to visit us again or if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kind regards,

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Had an wonderful oceanview room enjoyed watching surfers. You can charter a boat directly from Punta Mita ( ask for Rudy) and go to the Marietta Islands or Yalapa - way cheaper than excursion prices. To get to Punta Mita take cab $10 or for an adventure ride the ATM bus $1 that you catch right in front of hotel. Food & drinks excellent this hotel excellent if you wish to relax if you're going for nightlife go elsewhere there is none here. The ala carte are unlimited and no need for reservations - they give a beeper & you return when there is an opening- only reservations you neeed are for BBQ day in advance don't miss best meal by far

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear Xcskir:

Thank you for the time you gave us to share your experience in The Grand Palladium Vallarta, for sure all your information will be helpful for our future Guest, we appreciate all your observations about the service and the spectacular spot that we have to enjoy of a great vacation with the family,

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2012

We visited March 3-10th, thankfully just before the rush of the spring break. I'm going to state the negatives that I experienced first.
FRONT DESK - Definitely don't go for the upgrade. I paid 250. US more, because I wanted it to be special for my grand daughter. People in my party had the same as me, with out the extra charge and the nightmare hassle I had at the front desk. There customer service there is very lacking....extremely poor.
Our 1st evening there, we got a complimentary small bottle of tequila brought to our room, I was so impressed. Then I found out the rest of my group all got cute little sets of shot glasses to go with their bottle. (They were laughing at me....remember I just paid 250. US more for my room...which wasn't different from there's.) Anyway what made it worse, was when I mentioned it to the front desk, and on the phone...I was basically told that I was a liar...that I did not get them. I was more than offended. ( I don't really care about the shot glasses....but DON'T call me a liar.) My group couldn't believe it. We had 3 rooms in total.
ROOMS - I was almost crippled every morning from the extremely hard beds....they do need to improve on this. Also, I think it is wrong to charge for a descent pillow. I had to pay daily at the front desk for one. Ridiculous..really. I love there power saving, but they should keep there fridges going, so the beverages inside, at least get a chance to get semi cold... Otherwise, I found the rooms very nice and clean. I never saw any bugs. As for as tips in your room. No need to go out of your way in the rooms...I felt I tipped well, and they really didn't do anything extra for me. (example a few times I left extra, and a note for extra beer, and didn't get it.....but they took the money.)
Zoo - In the middle of the resort..All rescue animals...I absolutely loved it. You can see all the animals are very happy and well taken care of. Everything is kept very clean.
FOOD- I must say the food is the best I have ever had in Mexico....delicious! I had one bad experience, and that was in the Mexican restaurant, when I decided to order the Lobster and steak . The picture looked mouth watering. When I got it, it looked nothing like the picture...and was 3 tiny scampi and a fatty slice of roast.....I couldn't even eat it. Talk about a false picture....save your $35.00 US extra charge...yuck!
SERVICE - Everyday we had breakfast and lunch in the buffet. We loved the waiter "Alberto" ! His service was excellent. He was always there the moment we all walked in...... Definitely one of our highlights of our trip...was having him as a waiter. A + there for service with him...I must say.
ACTIVITIES AND SHOWS - I loved the activities and shows. Just make sure your there 10 minutes before any activities. Nelson and the others do a great job. We never laughed so much.
BEACH - I just want to make a comment on there new life guard they had.."Carlos". You can feel safe with him watching, he is right there. I was very impressed on how, on the ball he was.

Despite the lacking customer service from the front desk...I would definitely go back. But save my money on some of the extra's I purchased this time. We actually all wanted to stay longer. I hoping management takes the negatives I have mentioned as positive criticism and corrects them. Had a great time...loved the beach bbq, Spa and the infinity pool (adult pool). Special thanks to Alberto, Nelson and the group, and Carlo's ...you made our trip..thanks! See you next year! :))

Room Tip: Not worth upgrade! Save your money.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sandra B

Dear Sandra B,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your last holidays in the Grand Palladium Resort & Spa. All comments are very important for us and for improve our service and facilities every day.

Concerning the observations you made in your review, I can assure you that we will take them very seriously with the purpose of ameliorate our offer as our aim is to fulfill our guest’s expectations creating an enchanting experience to our visitors.

Thank you again and please, do not hesitate to contact us for your next visit in order to provide you with the best of all attentions.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We just returned from Grand Palladium Vallarta on April 21, 2012 and had a blast at the resort. We met many friends and our 3 year old daughter had such a good time. The pool, kids pool and adult pool were amazing. The kids club was also awesome and they were very good with her. There is quite a bit iof walking but not as much as other's have complained about. The food was amazing at the Ribs and More and the Asian restaurant and the buffet was very good as well. One con was when we were eating in the snack bar we saw a waiter drop the tongs on the ground and reuse them again to put more lettuce on the tray. Another con was the wasps, they were not aggressive, but there were many. The internet was also not that great as there were a few days with hardly any access.

We did ask for a ground floor room when booking, which would have been ideal as we have a young child and got put in a third floor room, but the rooms were beautiful and very well rennovated and modern. I slept amazing all 7 nights as well.

All in all we had an amazing trip and the beach was beautiful!!! I would return to Grand Palladium!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank andrea C
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Andrea C:

We appreciate all your comments about our Resort and the time you toke to share your feed back with our visitors, for us every comment it is very value and we have strong commitment to go beyond our Guest satisfaction, we hope to continue attending you in a short future.

Cordially,

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our group of 10 (from age 2 to 52) descended upon the Grand Palladium for a week of sun, fun, and festivities on April 14, 2012. Two members of our group had been there six years ago and felt it was the perfect place to host a family birthday celebration.

Unfortunately, due to our late flights, we did not arrive at the hotel until the middle of the night. We were greeted by a not so friendly check-in, with staff who "regrettably" explained we would not be receiving the accommodations we had PAID for when booking, as there was no ocean view rooms available. This was unacceptable to our party and we stood our ground. After many phone calls and explanations, the hotel staff came up with three adequate rooms in Building 3. Needless to say, this definitely put a damper on our impression of the facility staff.

The rooms are fine - nothing to really speak of. You have to play the game with the balcony door and air conditioner, but we don't spend a whole lot of time in the room, so it didn't affect us. We found the daily cleaning of the rooms somewhat lacking. I don't think our room was swept during the whole week we were there, as we noticed specific items (like popcorn) on the floor for days until one of us picked it up. There were adequate towels, coffee and drinks supplied during our stay. We did not receive any towel or flower art during our stay, but continued to leave tips - in the hopes it might happen. It did not.

However, while the front desk staff may have been inflexible and inconsiderate, the rest of the staff at the resort were absolutely wonderful. We were always greeted with enthusiasm and respect. The resort staff included all members of our group in their activities and antics, etc., and took the time to make sure that all was well with everyone - from our 2 year old to our 52 year old.

The resort is set in a wonderful bay with beautiful ocean views. There are many stairs, paths, and covered walkways which allow you access to all areas of the resort. It did require a bit of walking, etc., but that is to be expected when you see the area and how spread out things are. The grounds are flawlessly maintained and every inch well looked after. Our 2 year old enjoyed the small zoo and enjoyed just watching the animals. We were pulled along to that area on every occasion possible.

The pool area is quite large, with a kiddie pool for the young ones. While we are ocean people and did not make use of the pool, it looked as if there were many lounge chairs available and the pool bar seemed able to keep up. We did notice wasps or bees around, and with the amount of fruity drinks being dispensed, that's probably something that is hard to alleviate. If there were more garbage cans around, it might encourage guests to clean up drink glasses, etc., which may in turn discourage wasps and bees from migrating there.

The infinity pool is a gem and was visited by members of our group frequently. It appears to be a "quieter" adult pool, but I think during our week long stay, it may have become a bit louder with a party atmosphere. The views are quite stunning. Also, having a bar and bathrooms close by was very nice.

The beach area is wonderful, with many chairs available at all times. The sectioned off area of the ocean, just around the corner, was a wonderful treat for those who like the quieter ocean waters. Many guests enjoyed beach volleyball, football, frisbee, etc. The beach area is quite wide and quests are not crammed into any particular spot. Many in our group enjoyed a bit of snorkelling right off the beach area and said it was quite fantastic. We noticed quite a few people trying boogie boarding or surfing day in and out.

Our group congregated in the Sports Bar or Lobby Bar each evening, as the staff were always delightful and so enthusiastic. We enjoyed the live entertainment immensely and looked forward to just sitting, relaxing, and visiting with other guests as well as the staff. Many thanks to Vanessa, Joanna, and all the servers and bartenders - who are too many to mention. The smiles, laughs, and cocktails flowed freely and made our experiences enjoyable and something to remember. Hemingway Bar was also a treat for a late night drink or coffee. What a relaxing way to end a spectacular day.

We have no complaints with the food at the buffet, beach grill, sports bar, or a la carte restaurants. Our group frequented all of these and had only positive comments to share. The ambiance for the beach grill was breathtaking, and a lovely way to capture the essence of the area. We also enjoyed a spectacular dinner at Bambu and were very pleased with the quality of the service and the food. Our group also enjoyed the Mexican Restaurant, but did not make it to the Italian one.

On the Saturday of our departure, we were treated to paella on the beach with a fabulous sangria drink. This was also done six years ago and it is definitely a fantastic beach activity to maintain. All the guests ranted and raved about this experience.

A day or two prior to our departure, we requested a late check out for at least one of our rooms, as we had a 2 year old with and wanted to retain one room for naps, changing, etc. We were told it was possible (with a fee that we were happy to pay), but that it could not be guaranteed until the day of departure. So, feeling this was not going to be a problem, we did not think of it until Saturday and went to the lobby around 9:30 a.m. - only to be told there were absolutely no rooms available. This was very frustrating and we felt that it was not really the truth. The staff, in Spanish (of course) yipped back and forth to each other, only causing us additional concerns before they repeated we were not able to have a late check out.

So, with that knowledge in hand, we were fortunate to know another couple who allowed us to use their room for naps, etc. We also spoke to many other guests who had small children and they too were not given a late check out. This is something that a hotel which considers themselves "family" oriented should look into, and try to alleviate. This is a big deal when travelling with small children and it's inappropriate to allow guests no access to adequate facilities for 11 hours, as was the situation with our flight.

The two "change rooms" near the front lobby were almost impossible to use or access as their were many guests fighting for the opportunity. When we had a chance, the floors were under two inches of water from the shower and it was impossible to try and change in there. Hotel staff should be checking and cleaning this facility often.

So, all in all - we loved the resort and ALL the staff in all areas except the front lobby during check-in and check-out. It is so unfortunate that the beginning and the end of our trip was soured by the occurances at the front desk. Working in the customer service industry, I know how important the first impression should always be.

Will we be back - probably not as there are too many beautiful spots in Mexico to discover.
Will we recommend this resort - probably not.

Room Tip: Building One is close to the infinity pool and a bit removed from the rest of the resort. Buildings...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank tandcsaw10
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear tandcsaw10,

Thank you for your comments about your stay in our resort, particularly about the staff, and thank you also for taking the time to explain your experience in your last holidays in Vallarta.

All comments, bad and good, are very important to us for constantly improving the quality of our service, and I am very sorry about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. It is important for us to know where we have failed or fallen short of your expectations. Nevertheless, we greatly appreciate all of your comments with the aim to make this the best hotel we can.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment.

Cordially,

Hotel Meson de Mita
#10 of 11 in Punta de Mita
8.3 km away
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
8.8 km away
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK