“Great resort for families with kids” 4 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
EDMONTON
“Great resort for families with kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We just returned from Grand Palladium Vallarta on April 21, 2012 and had a blast at the resort. We met many friends and our 3 year old daughter had such a good time. The pool, kids pool and adult pool were amazing. The kids club was also awesome and they were very good with her. There is quite a bit iof walking but not as much as other's have complained about. The food was amazing at the Ribs and More and the Asian restaurant and the buffet was very good as well. One con was when we were eating in the snack bar we saw a waiter drop the tongs on the ground and reuse them again to put more lettuce on the tray. Another con was the wasps, they were not aggressive, but there were many. The internet was also not that great as there were a few days with hardly any access.

We did ask for a ground floor room when booking, which would have been ideal as we have a young child and got put in a third floor room, but the rooms were beautiful and very well rennovated and modern. I slept amazing all 7 nights as well.

All in all we had an amazing trip and the beach was beautiful!!! I would return to Grand Palladium!

2 Thank andrea C
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Andrea C:

We appreciate all your comments about our Resort and the time you toke to share your feed back with our visitors, for us every comment it is very value and we have strong commitment to go beyond our Guest satisfaction, we hope to continue attending you in a short future.

Cordially,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our group of 10 (from age 2 to 52) descended upon the Grand Palladium for a week of sun, fun, and festivities on April 14, 2012. Two members of our group had been there six years ago and felt it was the perfect place to host a family birthday celebration.

Unfortunately, due to our late flights, we did not arrive at the hotel until the middle of the night. We were greeted by a not so friendly check-in, with staff who "regrettably" explained we would not be receiving the accommodations we had PAID for when booking, as there was no ocean view rooms available. This was unacceptable to our party and we stood our ground. After many phone calls and explanations, the hotel staff came up with three adequate rooms in Building 3. Needless to say, this definitely put a damper on our impression of the facility staff.

The rooms are fine - nothing to really speak of. You have to play the game with the balcony door and air conditioner, but we don't spend a whole lot of time in the room, so it didn't affect us. We found the daily cleaning of the rooms somewhat lacking. I don't think our room was swept during the whole week we were there, as we noticed specific items (like popcorn) on the floor for days until one of us picked it up. There were adequate towels, coffee and drinks supplied during our stay. We did not receive any towel or flower art during our stay, but continued to leave tips - in the hopes it might happen. It did not.

However, while the front desk staff may have been inflexible and inconsiderate, the rest of the staff at the resort were absolutely wonderful. We were always greeted with enthusiasm and respect. The resort staff included all members of our group in their activities and antics, etc., and took the time to make sure that all was well with everyone - from our 2 year old to our 52 year old.

The resort is set in a wonderful bay with beautiful ocean views. There are many stairs, paths, and covered walkways which allow you access to all areas of the resort. It did require a bit of walking, etc., but that is to be expected when you see the area and how spread out things are. The grounds are flawlessly maintained and every inch well looked after. Our 2 year old enjoyed the small zoo and enjoyed just watching the animals. We were pulled along to that area on every occasion possible.

The pool area is quite large, with a kiddie pool for the young ones. While we are ocean people and did not make use of the pool, it looked as if there were many lounge chairs available and the pool bar seemed able to keep up. We did notice wasps or bees around, and with the amount of fruity drinks being dispensed, that's probably something that is hard to alleviate. If there were more garbage cans around, it might encourage guests to clean up drink glasses, etc., which may in turn discourage wasps and bees from migrating there.

The infinity pool is a gem and was visited by members of our group frequently. It appears to be a "quieter" adult pool, but I think during our week long stay, it may have become a bit louder with a party atmosphere. The views are quite stunning. Also, having a bar and bathrooms close by was very nice.

The beach area is wonderful, with many chairs available at all times. The sectioned off area of the ocean, just around the corner, was a wonderful treat for those who like the quieter ocean waters. Many guests enjoyed beach volleyball, football, frisbee, etc. The beach area is quite wide and quests are not crammed into any particular spot. Many in our group enjoyed a bit of snorkelling right off the beach area and said it was quite fantastic. We noticed quite a few people trying boogie boarding or surfing day in and out.

Our group congregated in the Sports Bar or Lobby Bar each evening, as the staff were always delightful and so enthusiastic. We enjoyed the live entertainment immensely and looked forward to just sitting, relaxing, and visiting with other guests as well as the staff. Many thanks to Vanessa, Joanna, and all the servers and bartenders - who are too many to mention. The smiles, laughs, and cocktails flowed freely and made our experiences enjoyable and something to remember. Hemingway Bar was also a treat for a late night drink or coffee. What a relaxing way to end a spectacular day.

We have no complaints with the food at the buffet, beach grill, sports bar, or a la carte restaurants. Our group frequented all of these and had only positive comments to share. The ambiance for the beach grill was breathtaking, and a lovely way to capture the essence of the area. We also enjoyed a spectacular dinner at Bambu and were very pleased with the quality of the service and the food. Our group also enjoyed the Mexican Restaurant, but did not make it to the Italian one.

On the Saturday of our departure, we were treated to paella on the beach with a fabulous sangria drink. This was also done six years ago and it is definitely a fantastic beach activity to maintain. All the guests ranted and raved about this experience.

A day or two prior to our departure, we requested a late check out for at least one of our rooms, as we had a 2 year old with and wanted to retain one room for naps, changing, etc. We were told it was possible (with a fee that we were happy to pay), but that it could not be guaranteed until the day of departure. So, feeling this was not going to be a problem, we did not think of it until Saturday and went to the lobby around 9:30 a.m. - only to be told there were absolutely no rooms available. This was very frustrating and we felt that it was not really the truth. The staff, in Spanish (of course) yipped back and forth to each other, only causing us additional concerns before they repeated we were not able to have a late check out.

So, with that knowledge in hand, we were fortunate to know another couple who allowed us to use their room for naps, etc. We also spoke to many other guests who had small children and they too were not given a late check out. This is something that a hotel which considers themselves "family" oriented should look into, and try to alleviate. This is a big deal when travelling with small children and it's inappropriate to allow guests no access to adequate facilities for 11 hours, as was the situation with our flight.

The two "change rooms" near the front lobby were almost impossible to use or access as their were many guests fighting for the opportunity. When we had a chance, the floors were under two inches of water from the shower and it was impossible to try and change in there. Hotel staff should be checking and cleaning this facility often.

So, all in all - we loved the resort and ALL the staff in all areas except the front lobby during check-in and check-out. It is so unfortunate that the beginning and the end of our trip was soured by the occurances at the front desk. Working in the customer service industry, I know how important the first impression should always be.

Will we be back - probably not as there are too many beautiful spots in Mexico to discover.
Will we recommend this resort - probably not.

Room Tip: Building One is close to the infinity pool and a bit removed from the rest of the resort. Buildings...
9 Thank tandcsaw10
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear tandcsaw10,

Thank you for your comments about your stay in our resort, particularly about the staff, and thank you also for taking the time to explain your experience in your last holidays in Vallarta.

All comments, bad and good, are very important to us for constantly improving the quality of our service, and I am very sorry about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. It is important for us to know where we have failed or fallen short of your expectations. Nevertheless, we greatly appreciate all of your comments with the aim to make this the best hotel we can.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment.

Cordially,
Castro Valley, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

PROS: Pretty nice resort, with a mini zoo on premises, nightclubs (adults and for juniors) also clubs for kids different ages at no extra cost, mini gym only few machines but enought to get a little workout done. All staff was pretty nice I think they all spoke english. Food was good at pretty much all the restaurants.

CONS: Rooms way too far from pool, restaurant, main lobby. Only one big all together pool it starts at infant to adult. Room service was half done most of the times (missing towels some days others missing toilet paper...) Some bartenders tend to make drink really fast and when you taste it there was no flavor to it! or if they couldnt fill up your cup they will just add soda or little things like that.

2 Thank Karygg
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest:

I would like to thank you for all your comments about the service and the installations that are very welcome, because that way we can see how we are doing our job to continue giving our best in order to improve from every opinion from our Guests, since we take these opinions very seriously all the positive and negative feed backs.

We hope to continue attending you in a short future,
Medicine Hat, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a tough review to write as I hate to be hard on a resort. I travelled with my wife and 16 month old son. This might be a better resort for couples and not families with young children. Let me explain.

We got to Puerto Vallarta on April 15th at 1:30 am. After getting through customs in Mexico at 2:30 am we began our bus trip to the resort. The bus ride is about 50 minutes from the airport. The bus driver stopped at a store to allow some people to get alcohol at about 3 am. We were there for about 10 minutes and half way to the resort. The resort has a sports bar open until 7 am. I couldn't believe we stopped with a number of young children on the bus and the long evening we had. I guess I can't blame the resort as this bus would have been hired by Air Transat.

We got to the resort around 3:30 am. We requested a crib and king size bed at the time of booking. When we confirmed this with the front desk staff, they had a deer in the headlight look. They told us that there were no king size beds available and that we could come back in the morning and see what they had available. My wife and I decided to take the double bed and forget about living out of a suitcase until there was an available king size bed. There are very few king size beds at this resort, so don't be surprised if you get a pair of double beds. They save the king size beds for the up-graded suites. They did not have a crib in our room either and requested that be brought to our room as our little one could not sleep with us on a double bed (too small for the 3 of us) and he could not sleep on the double bed by himself without the possibility of falling off. After about half hour, they did bring us a crib. We finally got to bed at a little after 4 am and having to wake up for an important Air Transat rep meeting at 10:30 am. Way to go Air Transat.

Three couples in front of us at check-in booked an ocean view room with their travel agent and paid extra for this. The couples showed the resort documentation proving this. The resort did not have record of this and could not offer them an ocean view room as they did not have any available. Very frustrating for them. I would recommend booking a standard room and waiting until you get there to see if any up-grades are available and pay extra then to prevent any frustrations.

Talking about Air Transat. Please note that the rep is in the office from Sunday to Wednesday only from 9 am till noon. If you need to contact the rep for anything outside of those hours, you will be charged 80 cents a minute US as it is not a local call. So if you want to see the rep, do it when he is around.

People are allowed to smoke every where at this resort except restaurants. I have nothing against smokers but being a non smoking family, it was difficult breathing in the second hand smoke all of the time and exposing my son to that also. You could not get away from the smoke. Would have liked the resort to have designated smoking areas for families with young children in mind.

There are signs posted at the pools for certain attire while in the pools, such as wearing a swim suit while in pools. A local boy was allowed to swim in his white under wear while we were there. When water hits white you can see everything. I was disgusted with this, especially when staff did nothing to correct the problem.

The main bar by the theatre had a bad vomit smell, especially during the day when it was hot. We asked other people about the smell thinking it was just us and they confirmed the smell. Some one must have gotten sick on one of the cloth chairs and it wasn't cleaned properly.

The resort will give you a pamphlet on times for events and restaurant openings. Do not believe this material. We went to dinner one night for 6 pm as posted in our resort material and we were told the restaurant did not open until 6:30 pm. I then stood at the closed snack bar in the shade with my infant and was told to leave by one of the workers. I tried to explain that I was staying out of the hot sun with my child until the restaurant opened as we were dressed as per dress code for al a carte's and not in beach wear (no hats). The worker argued with me. I think part of the problem is the language barrier at this resort. She did not fully understand me but made me bad that I was standing there in the shade. This resort has a huge language barrier so if you speak good spanish it would be an asset.

My wife had hair in her food not only once but twice during the week. I have never had that happen at any other resort we have been at.

Be aware of bees in certain areas of the resort if you are bringing young children. There are a large amount of bees just outside the sports bar. We saw a toddler get stung on the foot there and none of the staff flinched as she was screaming. After a few minutes of noticing the staff did not look over at the screaming girl, my wife went to the bar to get ice and lemon for the toddler while the parents comforted her. I could not believe that incident. Very diappointed with the staff there!

As I mentioned inconsistencies, here is another one. I had gone to change american money to pesos for tips three times before this incident happened. The fourth time I went to change money I was asked for my passport. I said I hadn't been asked for it before and he said sorry. I went back to the room to my safe and got my passport, went back to the front desk and someone else helped me and did not want to see my passport. Came back a fifth time and was asked for it again. Very frustrating. Nothing is consistent here.

We had a leak in our roof over the bath tub in our room. We mentioned it and they said they would have maintanence look at it right away. We came back from lunch about an hour later and the bathroom was a mess. Black goopy stuff on the floor of the bathroom and tub and boot marks all over tub. Phoned front desk to have cleaning staff to clean this up. It was about 1 pm at the time. After 3 phone calls to the front desk and 7 hours later it was cleaned up. I cleaned the bathroom floor my self as it was awfully dirty.

The rooms in the buildings at the resort are on either side of a long hall. The halls echo very loudly. We had trainees for the resort come in for 3 or 4 days. When they weren't working, they were able to take advantage of resort just like any one else which was great. However, they would party into the early morning yelling from room to room, slamming doors. In a two day period these trainees would knock at our door thinking it was there room. One trainee knocked at our door at 2:30 am and woke us up. Another trainee knocked on our door, I opened the door, he walked right past me and then noticed that this wasn't his room. Could not believe it. I would have thought the resort would have taken more pride in their soon to be staff. I think you should talk to your trainees about etiquette before they begin their training this is a resort for people who have paid money to use it. After mentioning this to one of the staff in the lobby who spoke good english, he just rubbed it off and changed the subject.

The shows are not at family friendly times. They start at 9:45 pm, which is way past our little ones bed time. The only way we could have gone was to pay $40/hour US for a baby sitter. You are not reading this wrong. You can get baby sitting for $20/hour US after 5 pm when the baby club closes until 10 pm. Then the rate goes up to $40/hour US.

The baby club is pretty good. It is open at 9 am until 12:30 pm and re-opens at 1:30 pm and closes at 4:45 pm (not 5 pm as posted). They give you a pager so they can get in contact if they need you which is great but don't plan on going to the beach as a couple as the pager does not work there. One parent has to be in range with the pager which does not include the beach area. Very disappointed I couldn't just go to the beach with my wife. Karen and Elsa are very good with the kids in the baby club. We loved them!

Air Transat people travelling from Calgary leaving the resort on Saturday at 11 pm, please be aware that if you have young children you may not get a late check-out. We were not able to and had to check-out at noon. It made it difficult and a long day with our little one for the rest of the day. We saw a large group come in at 8 pm Saturday night and we knew they had rooms they could have given us for late check-out. They lied to us and said they didn't have any. This happened to another couple but they were lucky enough to have relatives leaving the next day for the baby to sleep in.

The room we had was nicely renovated. Very small with an active toddler while getting ready for the day. The grounds are beautiful. The resort is a good of a good design and very central once you figure out all the short cuts. We did not have a problem using a stroller around the resort. The people worked hard but not real social. Food was alright. Some days good, some days not so good. We had to great waiters in the buffet restaurant. Alberto and Antonio may our dining in the buffet restaurant a pleasurable one. They were great with our infant. Fellipe was a great waiter in the Portifino Restaurant.

One day we came into our room and the cleaning cloth was on our babies blanket. It stunk of cleaners and was disappointed they would put that on our personal blanket for our baby.

Would we return, definitely not. Would we go to another fiesta hotel, not likely. Would I recommend this resort to my friends with kids. Absolutely not. This was not a carefree holiday you would expect and again would caution families with young children. If you want a great family vacation and able to spend extra money. Go to a beaches resort. You will not be disappointed. You get what you pay for. This resort is more suited for adult couples.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an up-graded room before you come. You may not get it as it may not be available...
6 Thank John0251
Dear John0251,

I am sorry to learn that your stay and experience at the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa in Vallarta was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, however I regret to hear your vacation experience was not as gratifying as desired. I would like to say that we are working every day to improve our services and the comments that we receive from our guests help us in this commitment.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We just arrived back and cant say enough about this hotel. We upgraded to the suite side. We had 24 hour room service, great staff and whatever we wanted to eat. Cant say how great this hotel is we will be back

Room Tip: Upgrade to suite side
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarnia_CanadaDenver
Dear Sarnia_CanadaDenver,

I would like to thank you for your comments about your stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta and especially about our staff, our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests.

For us is really important the opinion from our guests and is gratifying to realize that our dedication is in the right path, as our goal is not only to make our guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us for your next visit, so we can do our best to take care about your stay again.

Kindest regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
Canto Del Sol Plaza Vallarta
#29 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,385 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK