“NICE AND SPACIOUS”

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 April 2012

PROS: Pretty nice resort, with a mini zoo on premises, nightclubs (adults and for juniors) also clubs for kids different ages at no extra cost, mini gym only few machines but enought to get a little workout done. All staff was pretty nice I think they all spoke english. Food was good at pretty much all the restaurants.

CONS: Rooms way too far from pool, restaurant, main lobby. Only one big all together pool it starts at infant to adult. Room service was half done most of the times (missing towels some days others missing toilet paper...) Some bartenders tend to make drink really fast and when you taste it there was no flavor to it! or if they couldnt fill up your cup they will just add soda or little things like that.

2  Thank Karygg
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Guest:

I would like to thank you for all your comments about the service and the installations that are very welcome, because that way we can see how we are doing our job to continue giving our best in order to improve from every opinion from our Guests, since we take these opinions very seriously all the positive and negative feed backs.

We hope to continue attending you in a short future,

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a tough review to write as I hate to be hard on a resort. I travelled with my wife and 16 month old son. This might be a better resort for couples and not families with young children. Let me explain.

We got to Puerto Vallarta on April 15th at 1:30 am. After getting through customs in Mexico at 2:30 am we began our bus trip to the resort. The bus ride is about 50 minutes from the airport. The bus driver stopped at a store to allow some people to get alcohol at about 3 am. We were there for about 10 minutes and half way to the resort. The resort has a sports bar open until 7 am. I couldn't believe we stopped with a number of young children on the bus and the long evening we had. I guess I can't blame the resort as this bus would have been hired by Air Transat.

We got to the resort around 3:30 am. We requested a crib and king size bed at the time of booking. When we confirmed this with the front desk staff, they had a deer in the headlight look. They told us that there were no king size beds available and that we could come back in the morning and see what they had available. My wife and I decided to take the double bed and forget about living out of a suitcase until there was an available king size bed. There are very few king size beds at this resort, so don't be surprised if you get a pair of double beds. They save the king size beds for the up-graded suites. They did not have a crib in our room either and requested that be brought to our room as our little one could not sleep with us on a double bed (too small for the 3 of us) and he could not sleep on the double bed by himself without the possibility of falling off. After about half hour, they did bring us a crib. We finally got to bed at a little after 4 am and having to wake up for an important Air Transat rep meeting at 10:30 am. Way to go Air Transat.

Three couples in front of us at check-in booked an ocean view room with their travel agent and paid extra for this. The couples showed the resort documentation proving this. The resort did not have record of this and could not offer them an ocean view room as they did not have any available. Very frustrating for them. I would recommend booking a standard room and waiting until you get there to see if any up-grades are available and pay extra then to prevent any frustrations.

Talking about Air Transat. Please note that the rep is in the office from Sunday to Wednesday only from 9 am till noon. If you need to contact the rep for anything outside of those hours, you will be charged 80 cents a minute US as it is not a local call. So if you want to see the rep, do it when he is around.

People are allowed to smoke every where at this resort except restaurants. I have nothing against smokers but being a non smoking family, it was difficult breathing in the second hand smoke all of the time and exposing my son to that also. You could not get away from the smoke. Would have liked the resort to have designated smoking areas for families with young children in mind.

There are signs posted at the pools for certain attire while in the pools, such as wearing a swim suit while in pools. A local boy was allowed to swim in his white under wear while we were there. When water hits white you can see everything. I was disgusted with this, especially when staff did nothing to correct the problem.

The main bar by the theatre had a bad vomit smell, especially during the day when it was hot. We asked other people about the smell thinking it was just us and they confirmed the smell. Some one must have gotten sick on one of the cloth chairs and it wasn't cleaned properly.

The resort will give you a pamphlet on times for events and restaurant openings. Do not believe this material. We went to dinner one night for 6 pm as posted in our resort material and we were told the restaurant did not open until 6:30 pm. I then stood at the closed snack bar in the shade with my infant and was told to leave by one of the workers. I tried to explain that I was staying out of the hot sun with my child until the restaurant opened as we were dressed as per dress code for al a carte's and not in beach wear (no hats). The worker argued with me. I think part of the problem is the language barrier at this resort. She did not fully understand me but made me bad that I was standing there in the shade. This resort has a huge language barrier so if you speak good spanish it would be an asset.

My wife had hair in her food not only once but twice during the week. I have never had that happen at any other resort we have been at.

Be aware of bees in certain areas of the resort if you are bringing young children. There are a large amount of bees just outside the sports bar. We saw a toddler get stung on the foot there and none of the staff flinched as she was screaming. After a few minutes of noticing the staff did not look over at the screaming girl, my wife went to the bar to get ice and lemon for the toddler while the parents comforted her. I could not believe that incident. Very diappointed with the staff there!

As I mentioned inconsistencies, here is another one. I had gone to change american money to pesos for tips three times before this incident happened. The fourth time I went to change money I was asked for my passport. I said I hadn't been asked for it before and he said sorry. I went back to the room to my safe and got my passport, went back to the front desk and someone else helped me and did not want to see my passport. Came back a fifth time and was asked for it again. Very frustrating. Nothing is consistent here.

We had a leak in our roof over the bath tub in our room. We mentioned it and they said they would have maintanence look at it right away. We came back from lunch about an hour later and the bathroom was a mess. Black goopy stuff on the floor of the bathroom and tub and boot marks all over tub. Phoned front desk to have cleaning staff to clean this up. It was about 1 pm at the time. After 3 phone calls to the front desk and 7 hours later it was cleaned up. I cleaned the bathroom floor my self as it was awfully dirty.

The rooms in the buildings at the resort are on either side of a long hall. The halls echo very loudly. We had trainees for the resort come in for 3 or 4 days. When they weren't working, they were able to take advantage of resort just like any one else which was great. However, they would party into the early morning yelling from room to room, slamming doors. In a two day period these trainees would knock at our door thinking it was there room. One trainee knocked at our door at 2:30 am and woke us up. Another trainee knocked on our door, I opened the door, he walked right past me and then noticed that this wasn't his room. Could not believe it. I would have thought the resort would have taken more pride in their soon to be staff. I think you should talk to your trainees about etiquette before they begin their training this is a resort for people who have paid money to use it. After mentioning this to one of the staff in the lobby who spoke good english, he just rubbed it off and changed the subject.

The shows are not at family friendly times. They start at 9:45 pm, which is way past our little ones bed time. The only way we could have gone was to pay $40/hour US for a baby sitter. You are not reading this wrong. You can get baby sitting for $20/hour US after 5 pm when the baby club closes until 10 pm. Then the rate goes up to $40/hour US.

The baby club is pretty good. It is open at 9 am until 12:30 pm and re-opens at 1:30 pm and closes at 4:45 pm (not 5 pm as posted). They give you a pager so they can get in contact if they need you which is great but don't plan on going to the beach as a couple as the pager does not work there. One parent has to be in range with the pager which does not include the beach area. Very disappointed I couldn't just go to the beach with my wife. Karen and Elsa are very good with the kids in the baby club. We loved them!

Air Transat people travelling from Calgary leaving the resort on Saturday at 11 pm, please be aware that if you have young children you may not get a late check-out. We were not able to and had to check-out at noon. It made it difficult and a long day with our little one for the rest of the day. We saw a large group come in at 8 pm Saturday night and we knew they had rooms they could have given us for late check-out. They lied to us and said they didn't have any. This happened to another couple but they were lucky enough to have relatives leaving the next day for the baby to sleep in.

The room we had was nicely renovated. Very small with an active toddler while getting ready for the day. The grounds are beautiful. The resort is a good of a good design and very central once you figure out all the short cuts. We did not have a problem using a stroller around the resort. The people worked hard but not real social. Food was alright. Some days good, some days not so good. We had to great waiters in the buffet restaurant. Alberto and Antonio may our dining in the buffet restaurant a pleasurable one. They were great with our infant. Fellipe was a great waiter in the Portifino Restaurant.

One day we came into our room and the cleaning cloth was on our babies blanket. It stunk of cleaners and was disappointed they would put that on our personal blanket for our baby.

Would we return, definitely not. Would we go to another fiesta hotel, not likely. Would I recommend this resort to my friends with kids. Absolutely not. This was not a carefree holiday you would expect and again would caution families with young children. If you want a great family vacation and able to spend extra money. Go to a beaches resort. You will not be disappointed. You get what you pay for. This resort is more suited for adult couples.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an up-graded room before you come. You may not get it as it may not be available...
6  Thank John0251
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear John0251,

I am sorry to learn that your stay and experience at the Grand Palladium Resort and Spa in Vallarta was a disappointing one. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. Our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests, however I regret to hear your vacation experience was not as gratifying as desired. I would like to say that we are working every day to improve our services and the comments that we receive from our guests help us in this commitment.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We just arrived back and cant say enough about this hotel. We upgraded to the suite side. We had 24 hour room service, great staff and whatever we wanted to eat. Cant say how great this hotel is we will be back

Room Tip: Upgrade to suite side
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarnia_CanadaDenver

Dear Sarnia_CanadaDenver,

I would like to thank you for your comments about your stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta and especially about our staff, our commitment is to provide the best service and attention at all times to our guests.

For us is really important the opinion from our guests and is gratifying to realize that our dedication is in the right path, as our goal is not only to make our guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us for your next visit, so we can do our best to take care about your stay again.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. I have been four times and in the midst of planning another trip this May with my boyfriend who has never been. I recommend this hotel to all. I have stayed on both sides of the resort and love both. From all the staff right down to the food. I have travelled to many places all over and 99 percent of the time stay at 5 star. Every 5 star has its good and bad so dont ever think there is perfection out there. For the people that complain about having to pay so much for cabs etc. You should not have booked so far out. The staff at the palladium work so hard from first thing till way after everyone has gone to sleep to ensure you are well taken care of and having a wonderful time. There is something for everyone to do. I recommend this hotel for everyone who wants a really nice relaxing mexican vacation. I spent my vacation time in Jamaica last year but am so looking forward to bringing someone else again to enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: Building three the last time I was there was the newly renovated so if you don't mind being a li...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Chantel M
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear Chantel M:

Thank you for your preference and your royalty to our Resort, we fell very proud when a positive comment like yours comes to our attention and for this kind of felling we have a very strong compromise to continue doing our best to improve always in better service to get Guest as your self.

I cordially invite you to keep coming back to the Royal Suites; will be our pleasure to assist you in further stays with us.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We travelled to the Grand Palladium Vallarta March 30-April 6 with Sunwing from Toronto to meet up with some family from Regina. We did not really have a chance to research our choice before we booked, as it was chosen by our travel companions, but we are very happy with our experience at the Palladium!

The arrival at the airport was uneventful, remembering (of course!) to dodge the time share salespeople n your way through the gauntlet leading to the shuttles. We were prepared for a long ride to the hotel, eventually ending up driving through the dark to arrive at the Palladium about an hour after we got on the bus. At no point was this scary or did we feel unsafe. The driver was great, the rep helpful, and we relaxed and enjoyed the decompression time.

We had read several reviews saying the front desk staff were somehow rude or not helpful. This was not the case for us at all! We were greeted by our welcome cocktail (we finally actually got one!!) and were checked in with no problems. They even made sure to let us know about the green programs that the hotel participated in, which we appreciated. The lobby bar staff were very very very friendly and extremely prompt! The bellboy made sure to help orient us on our way to our room, as it could be tricky navigating the pathways on your first day at night!

Our room was impeccably clean always. Our safe was modern and worked well, and we had none of the problems with the air conditioning other reviewers mentioned. Our thermostat did go below 22 degrees, although we found that faaaar too cold for comfort! We had to try, just to see if the reviews were correct, and found ourselves putting it back up halfway through the night because we were shivering! The only complaint we had about the room was the water pressure, which was a little weak and a little cool, but the rain head was lovely and the other fixtures were nice.

The food at the Palladium was good! The crepe station was a nice choice, and the two kids travelling with our group never had trouble finding something to enjoy. The buffet was themed, so there were different dishes every night reflective of what a la cartes were open those days. Unless you have a very restrictive diet, I can't think of how you would get bored or want for lack of food. The beach BBQ was definitely worth the reservation the day before, with the waves in the background, it was very nice. We also tried the steakhouse-type a la carte that opened in the beach bar at night and had absolutely delicious ribs! (I had the Mahi Mahi, which was also delicious!) The beach bar (Las Terrazas) was really convenient for lunch, with burgers, chicken, hotdogs, fries (surprisingly crunchy and yummy!) and ice cream right off the pool area. Bars were never far away from where you are, so you'll certainly never be thirsty! We also found (maybe our group is just full of lightweights!) that the drinks were quite heavy-handed, so no worries there!

The pool was small but never crowded, with chairs enough for everyone and tons of shade! The beach was beautiful, but make sure you pay attention to the posted safe areas for swim! There is a rocky zone with sharp rocks and a stronger undertow in the center of the beach, so it was best to swim on either side of it. This beach rocked for boogie boarding and surf lessons, so people were always out catching waves!!

Our group also did one excursion with Vallarta Adventures to Las Caletas. There are certain days during the week that VA will do pick-ups from the hotel to take you in to Puerto Vallarta for trips and activities. If you want a day to escape to a beach paradise, Las Caletas was beautiful and the massage my boyfriend and I had there was amazing!

Two things worth mentioning: The kids club is truly an all-star operation at the Palladium! Ray was great with the young guy (10) in our group and the area itself is filled with awesome, fun things for kids to do. The second thing is the nightly show: campy and fun! The shows were hugely entertaining!! You could tell the whole staff put a huge amount of effort in and they always put a smile on our faces!

Room Tip: The beach in front of the Royal Suites is not as nice as the regular hotel beach. The rooms may be n...
2  Thank starvingstudents1988
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Guest:

Before anything I want to thank you for the time you toke to describe every moment of your holidays in The Grand Palladium, it is important to mention that all the improvements that are now part of our Resort were crated to assure our Guest satisfaction since it is our main goal. All these comments help to our visitors to select the best option for their next vacation.

Thank you again on behalf of the Management and the all staff who works hart every day to pamper our visitors.

Best Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta de Mita
25.6 km away
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
8.3 km away
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
14.9 km away
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK