“Ok vacation. A detailed review.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Punta de Mita
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Ok vacation. A detailed review.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

My background: over 10 all-inclusive vacations, all 5 stars.

Highlights of this resort: small zoo, Hemingway bar and Viva Mexico a la carte restaurant.

Property: lots of stairs, lots of rocks right where we are supposed to swim. No elevators, so
you will get some exercise here. Grounds are clean and beautiful and safe as the security department constantly patrolling the grounds.
There is also a small zoo, where there are crazy ostriches and funny peafowls, which were chasing each other around, for different reasons; we thought it was a mating season.

Rooms: large, all updated rooms. Everything is great. Except for the strange under-sheet (some call it mattress protector) which squeaked when you rolled over and felt uncomfortable even though I am not very picky about bed sheets, etc.

Entertainment: shows are worse than in other resorts. Have not been impressed by the so-called POP entertainment team also.

Food: lots of different meat. Nice buffet overall, but I was sad to see almost no fruits and vegetables.

A la carte:

Bambu is definitely an interesting or amusing experience, depending on how seriously you take your fine dining. The sushi they serve is worse than
those sushi in plastic containers at the grocery store back home. The waiters are in confusion. Hints: their "sashimi" is smoked salmon, all Maki sushi are bad, fried ice-cream is good. I thought tempura was a dish of battered and deep fried seafood or vegetables, but "tempura maki" turned out to be California sushi, or so the waiter assured us. Sweet and sour pork turned out to be Japanese Tonkatsu covered with Chinese sweet and sour - fusion cuisine indeed!

Portofino: serves pasta and pizza, the same as you would get in the buffet.

Ribs and More: lots of fat in the meat, but the ribeye was OK..

"Viva Mexico": Best location (take your camera),
order Spanish coffee even if you ordinarily do not drink it (you may get a fire show, may be ask for it). Huge traditional bowls instead of plates if you are lucky, also guacamole may made by chef in front of you. Fun, fun, fun.

Hemingway is a quiet oasis in particular if you have just run of Bambu delicatenesses. You will be welcomed by good music, excellent host Giovanni, good drinks (for free) and good little snacks (seems to be had picked creams from the main buffet) and you will need those snacks as remember you are hungry after you a la carte dining.

Overall: ok, maybe come back but prefer other Palladiums so far.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Cat_the_Wild
AnaMCastro, General Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Cat_the_Wild,
I have read your comments and wish to thank you for what you said about our hotel. We take all the comments and suggestions we receive very seriously in our efforts to improve our hotel and our day to day services.
Please, let me know if you plan to return and if there is anything else in which I can be of service to you.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We just arrived home after a one week stay. I am going to try to make this simple by weighing against the numerous other all inclusive "Mexico" stays we have had at other properties. This property has good, average and poor factors all combined. They rate themselves through Signature Holidays as a 5 star property.... NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I will break down things 1. Setting - gorgeous (although so far out of PV unless you are adventurous or have tons of extra money for cabs - don't stay here)
2. Rooms - average, clean with extremely hard beds. The beds have a plastic cover sheet on them under the sheets and you almost need earplugs as if you toss and turn the crunching and noise of it will wake you. The maid service was good and if we tipped they left us what we asked for eg. mucho agua.
3. Food - average to poor. Don't get me wrong - you can find something to eat, but the selection was the same everyday and if you want to eat healthy you have to be selective. They had cooked broccoli and carrots only one night out of 7 and they have little in the way of selection for other healthy options. Breakfast is good, however don't expect fresh juices... they are mixed and full of sugar.
4. Ala-Carts - had good and bad experiences. The beach barbeque is a MUST DO "IF" you can get a reservation. It restored this resort back into the 3 star rating for us as we had it at a 2 1/2 star prior to eating at the Portofino and the Beach barbeque. The Ribs and more was so disgusting with such poor, poor service we left and went to the buffet.
5. Service - This is where this property scores a 1 star. The staff is sparse, no-one really interacts or gets to know you, or even asks how you are. They have a "Royal Club" that they try to sell you for hundreds more and clearly the focus is on the "royal club" upgraders. If you are on the other side - you are treated like a second class citizen on all fronts. And having friends booked in on the Royal side - they felt it was NOT worth the money, and felt the two standards were extreme. We couldn't even book an Alacart meal together! We seen their room and it was overly large with a hot tub on the deck, but aside from that and that whole area being blocked off from others in the resort I am not certain what they paid for except they didn't have to return towel cards at the end of their stay and of course they get first dibs at water sport activities and alacart restaurants.
6. FRONT DESK STAFF - POOR. The front desk was extremely unhelpful and almost rude. I asked if they could call a local Punta de Mita restaurant for us to get a reservation (you can't call from your room unless you leave a 20.00 deposit for phone) and they wanted to charge us 70 peso for the call, and really didn't even want to make the call. Anytime we asked anything - they were short, rude and I am sure it's because we didn't have the "royal club" wrist band on! Oh and they exchange money 10-1. Don't exchange money here as they rip you off royally! You give them 50.00 American or Canadian and they give you 500 pesos!
7. SPA/GYM - Spa is grossly overpriced and not worth the money. Gym has a very decent weight room, however the cardio equipment is sparse. Two treadmills, and two elipiticals - be prepared to wait. They almost never have towels either.
8. OVERALL - this resort is pretty, and the surfing is great. If you get it cheap enough you will have a good trip. It's definitely more a rest and relaxation resort - so take some books. If you want more than a suntan without having to spend a small fortune on cabs for other activities or meals off the resort - go elsewhere. Like I said we love Mexico and have had a multitude of trips to many areas and resorts all over Mexico and the odds we would ever pick this resort to return to are extremely slim unless its a super cheap deal. The resort has the potential to be amazing by allowing their staff to be more engaging and helpful and providing more staff overall. They could also benefit by offering shuttle service into PV for outings, or even into Sayulita for a small charge. The biggest thing they could benefit by is finding a better way to combine the Royal club upgraders with others on the resort. After all - we are all in the same resort!! Either that or get rid of one or the other!

BEST EMPLOYEE - FERNADO - Beach sporting - extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank confused99
dtoradjuntoayb, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear confused99,

I would like to thank you for your comments about your stay in our resort. For us is extremely important the opinion of our guests, in particular when knowing about the industry, in order to enhance our offer and to exceed the expectations of our guests.

About the food, I just would like to point out that we are constantly renovating and improving our offer to accomplish the satisfaction of our visitors, and we take your observations very seriously in order to improve our performance day after day.

Concerning the service, I feel really sorry about the impression so negative you had as we continuously work in this area as we believe it could be the most important thing in hotel business and we always dedicate our effort to enhance it.

Thank you again for your feedback and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment or if you decide to visit us again.

Ottawa, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I visited this resort with a friend of mine, from March 30th to Good Friday April 7th. I really, really had the time of my life. I hope I don't miss anything or anyone, I enjoyed my week at the Grand Palladium, despite the very upsetting accident involving a maintenance man that I'd befriended. Hugo, my heart goes out to you and your family and I pray that everything is going to be alright, eventually.

Check-in
-Right from the get-go my friend and I had a great impression of the hotel. Checking in went smoothly, the welcome drink was not very tasty, but it was served with a smile and in a timely fashion...

Room
-Beautiful! We stayed in room 1003, the view from this room is amazing! It was one of the closest rooms to the adult-only pool, and the stairs down to the beach which made it very convenient for our tired legs, see next section for more details on why... The beds are unfortunately fitted with some vinyl mattress covers, which made it very hot and uncomfortable to sleep for me, my friend didn't notice and was able to sleep like a cat on our trip! The rooms come with a mini-fridge, stocked with soda, beer and water. Was not really necessary, until toward the end of the week when we hung out at the beach on our last nights... A convenient telescopic drying rack is neatly installed on the wall of our balcony, we used it, nothing went missing, but found our clothes dried faster in the room somehow...

Disco/Animation/Shows
-Raoul, the DJ, and the animation staff were unforgettable! Great music to dance to from Salsa, to merengue, hip-hop and top-40... There was even a little rock for the rock and rollers of the resort- was much appreciated when the wedding party kicked up their heels one night! It was always a fun way to burn off some energy at the end of the day, it picked up considerably after the first couple days where most people on our flight from TO(lots, was 3-4 buses I think) got over the initial need for R&R. As the week went on, the music and the crowd seemed to get better. This resort being so far away from the city is only a big deal if you are looking for a touristic vacation, for R&R this resort has everything you need, I only caught a few of the shows. The Phantom of the Opera was spliced with Rocky Horror, and was quite entertaining, some of the audience participation shows were quite entertaining and the live music beside the theatre and main lobby bar was lively and very professional.
-Didn't spend much time at the main pool, the adult pool was so peaceful and quiet, yet rowdy at times, so I didn't really experience the animation staff during the day. The one complaint I had, was that during the day, our room facing the main pool, the volume was a bit too high on the music/microphones that the animation team were using. Especially on the last day when all we wanted was to escape the excitement, it was a bit jarring.
-Lolo (Laurent) the manager of the animation, was a very kind and understanding person, he and I chatted a couple times and he was very understanding and intelligent. I imagine the rest of the team was as friendly, easy-going and as awesome as he was. Xoxox

Restaurants/Food/Servers
-The restaurants we tried were the Mexican, buffet, Sports bar, lunch buffet. The service at the Mexican was great, if a little slow, and we enjoyed the food everywhere we ate. Everything was so great at the main buffet that we weren't even inclined to check out the other restaurants. The food was definitely healthy, fresh, varied and beautifully presented. Lots of vegetarian options, and one morning one of the chefs made me some Green Rice, after I had requested some Arroz y Frijoles for the following day's brekkie. Unfortunately, I didn't even make it to breakfast the next day, I was a bit upset after the accident.
-There were so many servers that were amazing, but special mention to Angel, who gave me and my friend the most beautiful complement ever "If God were a woman, he wouldn't be as beautiful as you" This was said in the most respectful and kind way, he never tried to hit on us, was just true to his name, an Angel! He and the other servers were a bit overwhelmed at times, perhaps they need more servers at this resort?

Pools
-Only spent one day at the main pool. Was hanging out with a friend while his Mom went into the nearby Buccerias for some shopping. We played chess, swam, and had a great time. The pool is a bit cooler than the adult pool, and really big. I would have liked it at any other resort, but the GP having the infinity adult pool makes this resort a gem!
-The adult pool has it's own bar, lots of extra comfy loungers, a jacuzzi inside the pool, a slightly warmer temperature (due to it's smaller size or heating, I am not sure), a bathroom close-by, an amazing view of the beach, and a quicker way to get to the beach (a stairwell instead of the meandering stepped walkway from the main pool. I saw, miraculously, a very large iguana on the last day, I nearly stepped on it while walking down the stairs from building 1. There are many animals and insects that live on the resort, deal with it people- I'd want to live in paradise too if I was them! In fact I do anyway, lol... There were never any bugs/animals in our room.
-The music is supposed to be more of an R&R feel, but toward the end of the week it became a little monotonous, this might be in part due to my request for some memorial music for the worker in the accident. It was respectfully, um, respected, lol, but then it became overwhelming as "Only You" came on and we all knew the words by heart after having heard it so many times. Perhaps allotting certain times of the day to let the guests be the DJ with their iPods would be a nice way to compromise on this... or like the animation staff, perhaps some scheduled music instead of activities, so people could choose to escape to the beach or their noise-cancelling headphones when they didn't like the music...

Beach
-Beach was beautiful. A mecca for surfers from all over the world, the ocean's pacific energy proved to be perfect for surfing and less so for the drunk swimmers... Please respect the ocean! My relationship with the pacific was a tumultuous one even when it started 10 years ago, the ocean sucked me up, spun me around, stole my awesome pink sunglasses, then spit me back out on the beach with a complimentary scrape on my hip and water in my nose! If you are sober, mindful and cautious you can swim at the beach. The many rocks flanking the main swimming area, as well as a medium-ish patch in the middle were a huge problem for many people. The rocks are dangerous, depending on what time of year you go as well, I would guess they can be more of less of a problem. If you are not sure of your sobriety, energy levels, and swimming ability, then please go to the pool (adult/children's/main/or man-made walled in ocean pool), or bring a first-aid kit... I am guessing the lifeguard has one too, lol...
-Volleyball was great, situated in the same place that the beach party was held. There were organized games twice a day, or you could borrow a ball and organize your own games... Great sand, but sadly there are some quite large rock patches that should be jack-hammered out. More than a few people explained their cuts and scrapes being a result of these rocks.
-Possible improvements: A bathroom on the beach! Removing the middle rocks, rocks under the vball court, service on the beach, water-bottles offered during all times of the day, regardless if bar is open or not (put a cooler there with cups or something?), serving coffee and tea in the morning there would be heavenly! I love watching the sunrise, as do many yogis and yoga-hula-hoopers, was so cool to watch everyone including the surfers doing their morning rituals!

Drinks&Bars
- As much as I drink, I really can't comment much on the drink selection. There were quite a number of drinks available, as well as shots, but I like beer. The beer is good! Monks used to drink beer, and everyone else too, or wine all day, instead of water, I think I've lived in those days in a past life, lol... The superman shots seemed to be popular, wine is available at dinner only.
-There can be quite a few bees around the bars, this is a problem for the more bee-wary people, the bartenders take it with the territory and I didn't hear of anyone getting bit.
-Why are the straws wrapped in paper? It is not very eco-friendly, and they end up all over the place...
-Alejandro and Daniel-son(Karate Kid inside joke, lol) were my favourite bartenders, always friendly, helpful, eager to chat and constantly working hard at keeping us vacationeers happy! I really liked all of the bartenders, there were so many who were so helpful, but Alejandro and Daniel were the ones who worked the adult bar the most so I got to know them a little better than the rest.
-Cristian is an angel. The manager of all the bars (excluding the restaurant's bars) he was always interested in hearing my many thoughts most often in Spanglish, lol... I can be more than a little hyper while on vacation, he listened and chatted with me on a number of occasions. My talks with him I shared things like how great his staff was, to how they should serve us in bigger cups (especially us Canadians, we can drink!) or smaller ones, for shots... I have to admit to having a bit of a crush on Cristian, he is so modest, intelligent and easy-going, not to mention very easy on the eyes... Thank you so much to all the bar staff, you are my heroes!

Grounds
-Immaculate, were it not for the messy tourists. There are garbage cans everywhere, put your empty cups in your bag until you see one, don't throw food around/feed the animals(they've signs telling you not to! Who wants to see a lethargic, overfed monkey, lol... ). I've been around the world, and think this resort is heaven on earth! From the beautiful and modern lobby, to the covered walkways, to the marketing efforts of the Fiesta group with the Palladium logo everywhere, this resort has it all! The many stairs(and the dancing) got my legs and tookus stronger than they've been in a while, but wouldn't be as ideal for small children and physically challenged people, though there are ramps to get just about anywhere apart from the beach...

Zoo
-I will admit to having a preference for monkeys. Lupia, the wild and crazy female monkey was quite a contrast to her male counterpart. At one point, early one morning while I had a coffee watching her, she stopped pensively from her normal hyperactive morning routine to think. After a moment, she raced toward the fence threw her arms through the links and began to furiously strangle the ostrich. The ostrich seemed ok with this, and over the week I began to realize their relationship was an interesting one... See my pics for this ostrich and Lupia, lol...
-The animals are all kept care of, are all rescues, and though they may be bored are dealt with in only the most caring, modern and safe ways(the hotel has professionals who have looked into this) so please spare your disparaging comments, I am sure the animals are content, bored perhaps, but content. Read the Life of Pi if you are not convinced...

Watersports
-Fernando the surfing instructor, was my only real interaction with the amazing staff at this part of the resort. He gave me a great lesson, encouraged me to press on through my panic attack, and always kept my safety and well-being as a priority. He and I had some talks about how this beach could be such a spiritual place, telling me of his morning walks to the cliffs past the Royal section to meditate. Fernando, you are a gem! Thank you so much for being so amazing! Xoxox

Security
-Bernardo, the manager of the security, was another angel that I met at this resort. We chatted quite a bit, I think I was more than a little impressed that he and my brother have nearly the same name. Any concerns or questions I had were dealt with respectfully, efficiently and with a smile, plus he helped me gain more confidence in my Spanish skills!

Safety Issues
-I think that this resort is so close to being perfect! For me anyway... I have listed a few concerns about the beach, stairs and other things above. The one thing that nearly killed me, was how a worker was able to fall from a cliff onto the beach while on the job. The very next day, while at the adult pool, a worker was scrubbing the tiles on the safety barrier outside the infinity section of the pool. It nearly killed me to watch this man working diligently in such an unsafe manner. I couldn't even speak. There should be safety harnesses, forced safety code compliance(I am sure some of the workers feel invincible, Mexicans are strong and proud and I love them, but if you can't follow the rules-or there are no rules- then make some then have a zero-tolerance policy for not following them)
-Some of the floors, like in the adult pool bathrooms, were quite slippery, perhaps a more rough tile would be more appropriate.
-The toilet seats were broken in a few of the bathrooms, how this happens I have no idea, but it is unsafe and could potentially pinch somone
-Bathrooms are not lit at night in certain areas, not safe
-Workers should be trained in CPR, First Aid, Emergency Response-- all of them, not just security.
-A faster and more efficient mode of transporting injured people from the beach should be set up.

Overall
-This resort is paradise. My week there was a bit of a rollercoaster. Mostly awesome, with little bumps along the way of not-so-awesome. I learned a lot while I was there, made a lot of amazing friends that I will never forget, and have been changed forever by my time there. I will return, and I think I have found my go-to resort that I want to return to year after year. Thank you everyone for making my week so special.

P.s. Manuel at the reception deserves a raise, Victor is really nice, and a special mention to Alejandro Martin, one of the managers, for making this resort such a wonderful place to rest and relax!

P.p.s. To everyone who says that tips are expected... I never once felt pressured or expected to give a tip. Everyone working at this resort is gracious, kind and amazing. I tipped around $200 all week, these people make very little without our tips, maintenance men make only $8 a day or something. Grow up, and please save your complaints for someone who cares.

P.p.p.s. Thanks to all the guests I met at the resort for teaching me so much, Kelly & Tom, Rebecca, Holly & Adam, Lianne and Hubby, such a bad memory, Kevin for teaching me by demonstration about modesty, feminism and awesomeness and to everyone else I met there: I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and truly hope we meet again sometime! If you're ever in Ottawa, send me a line on TripAdvisor!
Xoxox

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were great, closer to the adult pool is nice if you are not with kids... Face aw...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Calina2502
Dear Calina2502,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write here your comments about your last stay in Grand Palladium Vallarta. I would like to thank you for your positive comments about the hotel. I will take note about your comments and I will send them to our staff.
Regarding your comment about our worker, you can be sure we will send your wishes to his family. Thank you for your concern and for your help.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed the rest of your vacation in our hotel. We take our guest’s comments very seriously. I will take note about your suggestions in order to improve our day to day services and if there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please let me know.
sparwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We visited this resort in March and everything about it was wonderful ! Alberto our daily waiter treated us like royalty. We could not ask for better service. We will be make this an annual escape from our long cold winter in Canada.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JulioCA, Manager at Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear Guest:

I would like to thank you for the time you gave us to know about your favorite staff and the good end of your vacation at The Grand Palladium, at the same time to inform you that all the comments are consider to improve always in better service.

In case if you need any assistance for your next visit do not hesitate to let us know,

Best regards,
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I can't stand this hotel. Room was disgusting. When addressed to management they did nothing. I then paid extra to upgrade to something I thought was decent to private section and food was terrible, room was big but no views at all and poorly run down. Location is far from everything. I'd never go back.

Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Dave N
Dear Dave N.
I am sorry to learn that your stay and experience at the Grand Palladium Resort and SPA in Vallarta was a disappointing one
About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations. I would like to say that we are working every day to improve our services and the comments that we receive from our guests help us.
As I said before, we take very seriously our guest comments in order to improve our services
Best regards,
Marival Resort & Suites
Marival Resort & Suites
#14 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,247 reviews

Been to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK