All reviews walkie talkie room service wine tasting pool area off season views are spectacular lobby restaurant continental breakfast sound system eco resort main restaurant fantastic stay wine country fire pit baja california san diego architecture
Reviewed 26 June 2017

I stayed in Loft 17, which has a gorgeous view of the Valle, perched between cliffside boulders above the Lobby/Restaurant. The resort is perfect for the adventurous traveler, who values special experiences and not the run of the mill. The accommodations are in what look like rusty shipping containers placed vertically on the hillside, and feature a smallish room with a bed, a couple of chairs next to a small dining table, and an exposed hanging rod for clothes with a tiny bureau for your folded items.

The bathroom is on the small side with a waterfall shower, a sink and toilet.

I have two complaints: the interior decor is stunning but impractical. The lighting in the bedroom is from Edison filament bulbs, so they are dim and glow orange, and there are no reading lights beside the bed. And there wasn't a hairdryer in the bathroom.

It is a hike (literally!) to the lobby/restaurant or to the pool, which also has a nice open restaurant. In one day, I climbed (thank you, FitBit) the equivalent of 50 flights of stairs going to and from my room. This is not a great place for people with issues walking on trails. While Encuentro does offer a van pick up service, it can be very time consuming to use it, and walking in nice weather is much easier (and with the stunning environs, not to be missed).

I will definitely return, with a hair dryer and my own lightbulb to read by!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but if you have mobility issues, please let the hotel know in advance so you can get a room that is on a level pathway.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2017

I once read an amazing article on Encuentro on Condé Nast magazine. That was such a tease!
Finally, i did it and drove south . I booked in advance 2 nights and my experience was worth every penny, $350 + tax. Encuentro Guadalupe mission is clear, they do respect nature as much as possible and the views are spectacular and soothing.

Loved their shuttle staff service! They will drive the guest to their private steel cabins.

Get up early and go for a hike, check out the Baja wild flowers and their naturally positioned rocks. Did i say relaxation at its BEST!

Take warm clothes for night time, as the weather drops a bit low, even if daytime is hot in the 90s*.

The pool are is gorgeous for panoramic photos at sunset. Only hotel guest will get access to this private area.

The main restaurant (which is open to the public) has the best food, especially their duck dish that another local chef recommended.

Encuentro is known for their Sangrias,

Salud!
Cheers!

Room Tip: Rooms 13,14 have straight panoramic views) facing the main road & room 11 is more private but with less mountain views.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2017

Not a hotel for everyone but a great experience if you are game!! We travelled during the off-season in January so but had a great experience. Rooms (at least ours) was well positioned to minimize view of other rooms. Driver (wish i remembered his name) was very excellent. Entertaining and remembered EVERYTHING!! Meals were much better than expected. Dinner was very reasonable and excellent. Missed breakfast the first day and regretted it the second day after trying the yogurt/fruit dish. We arrived during a major rain storm so several road/restaurants were flooded. Certainly a location where you need to be able to go with the flow. But other local restaurants were very good as well. The Walkie talkie to order your driver was a little weird but amazing views and experience

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We booked a hotel room for two nights at $350 a night for a wedding and I called three days before to ask about setting up a crib for my daughter. Of course, that's the first time I hear that they don't allow children, and they tell me that it was in the email confirmation. Please tell me: who reads the fine print in hotel confirmation emails? Honestly. Of course, they have a 15-day no refund policy, so they can keep the money from unsuspecting parents. Well, I was visiting for a wedding nearby, so luckily I found a couple of friends who could take our place at Encuentro so that I would not lose the money. I made all the phone calls and made a name change and what did I find out afterwards? Not only were my friends overcharged $500 for each of the two nights, after I had already paid for one night, BUT THERE WERE KIDS STAYING AT THE HOTEL! Meanwhile I was forced to stay at a highway motel with my wife and one year old daughter. These people are crooks. Do not patronize these thieves.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
7  Thank eriojasm
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

I got this hotel for the view, i was expecting a view of the Guadalupe valley and got a canyon. I got there 20 minutes early and I was not allowed to check in until exactly 3:00pm. They give you a flash light to walk to loft at night, we never got one and almost fell. We asked for fire pit to be turned on before 10:00pm and they never came. The bathroom shower was dirty. The pool and jacuzzi were great. Pedrito the bus driver was very nice and the food and sangria were good.

Stayed: May 2017