2,427 results
All reviewschateau montebellolog cabinindoor pooldog sleddinghorseback ridingottawa riversided fireplaceoutdoor activitiesgrounds are beautifulmain lobbyresort feeone of a kindcross country skiingwinter activitiescrepesmarch breakoutdoor bbq
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We just got back from a 3 day stay at the Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello. I'll admit, my first reaction was not good. I entered the lobby and thought we had made a big mistake by coming here. This is not your typical Fairmont where you have luxurious rooms and the hustle and bustle of a busy resort. You are not in a downtown setting here, you are in a small village and the amenities are not the same as in a big city. If you don't expect to dine at the Fairmont restaurant, you don't have many choices outside the resort other than a handful of local restaurants (there is a McDonald's and a Subway though).

We came during the low season so we were in between seasons and there were less activities to do. The purpose of our trip was to relax and this is a wonderful spot to do it. The lobby is quite charming and the fireplace is the focal point. My wife and I spent a whole afternoon next to the fire reading. In the evening, it is a great spot to have a glass of wine or a cocktail while listening to the piano player. You really have that sense of being in a small community where everyone knows one another. Note that the resort is 100 years old and you have the sense of stepping back in time to a time when everything was less stressful. It is quite charming in that sense.

We had a Deluxe Corner Room with a King size bed. The rooms have a rustic feel to them and, once again, if you're expecting luxury, you will be disappointed. My wife and I thought the beds were really comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small but it seemed to have been renovated recently so it was nice. One thing I did notice was how quiet everything was in the room. Unlike in the city where you will hear cars honking, all I could hear were the birds singing outside. You might feel that the rooms need a facelift but I believe it's part of the charm.

Overall, we ended up having a really great vacation. Like I've mentioned before, this is the perfect spot to come and relax and get away from it all. We would definitely come again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Locksley44
Reviewed 27 March 2012

great classic hotel with great history, for a nice lay back holiday. a lot of wood, and plenty of spacious green space around for walking biking etc... The region does offer a lot of outdoor attractions and things to do, but beside being there for a week-end etc... get bored after a while. Nice "homey" cottage feel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tiatatravelagent
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is an awesome establishment; unlike anything else in the world, as far as I know. In effect, it's a huge log cabin with an unbelievable set of amenities and wonderful food. This is not your ultra-deluxe, state-of-the-art, ultra-modern, glass and steel 5 star hotel. It is a unique and classic 80+ year old rustic hotel in a somewhat secluded setting on the Ottawa River an hour or so from any significant urban centres.

I have stayed here many times on business over the last 25 years and have always loved it. This time, I came with my spouse who has always wanted to check it out. She absolutely LOVED it. Yes, it's a bit dark, the bathrooms are smallish and it is not inexpensive. But it is wonderful. You haven't lived till you've tried the maple crepes for breakfast. The grounds are beautiful; the hexagonal, 60-foot fireplace in the centre is magnificent.

I could go on but will stop there. We had a fantastic 48 hours there and would love to do this regularly. The ambience is unforgettable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RexT
ChateauMontebello, Director of Sales at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for staying with us at Fairmont Le Château Montebello.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. It is always gratifying to know that we met the needs and the expectation of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Le Château Montebello.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stay in February 2012. This is no 5 star hotel! Neither the level of service nor the quality of the amenities qualify for a luxurious, let alone a charming experience! The only thing the staff is good at is lipservice (except for the Renee, the concierge who is truly professional and delightful): when things are not satisfactory, they merely apologize and do nothing about it..(I had brought my skis to go crosscountry but had forgotten to wax them: When I went to the ski shop, they told me "it's not a service we provide..."
Our room (river view) was very cold: the supposedly "rustic" rooms have motel-like forced air systems which are inefficient and we had to use tiny and noisy electric heaters ( the hotel obviously can't afford silent electric oiled-filled radiators ...) We slept very poorly as the mattresses are terribly soft (beware seniors!).
The hotel is far from charming: There is an enormous hall where everything takes place: Entrance, reception area, bar, a few sofas and tables, a huge column in the center with 4 fireplaces next to one another, of which only 2 are made to work. There are no cozy, quiet areas where to relax and this great hall, although impressive, feels like a train station hall.
I would not recommend this overpriced hotel to anyone, unless you have a high tolerance for mediocrity.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yjg805
ChateauMontebello, Director of Sales at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Thank you for staying with us at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello. Guest comments ar very important to our operation and are taken very seriously as they a key component in identifying areas where improvements are needed.

I was very sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and extend my sincere apologies.

Please note that our main majestique fireplace with 6 doors can all works but we never light up more that 3 at a time for security.

Be assured that you experience is not typical of the standards we strive to achieve at the Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello.

Your kind word have been passed on to Renée Tremblay our Concierge.

Your Feedback has been really valuable and we hope yo will afford us the privilege of welcoming you once again at Fairmont le Chateau Montebello.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I travel allot for work and have stayed at Fairmonts all over Canada and this by far was my worst experience!! Rooms were extremely dated, and smelled very musty! The bathroom was the size of a powder room and the buffet/menu was mediocre at best! If this was "Joe's outdoor retreat" I could have lived with it, but extremely surprised that Fairmont would put their name on this resort! The pool was nice, but the underground hallway to the pool needs a huge facelift and was very poorly maintained! In summary definitely not worth the price of addmision!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris G
ChateauMontebello, Director of Sales at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello. We continually seek to improve our services and facilities and your feedback will assist us in these efforts.

Please note that we are presently working on a project to give a new look to the tunnel that lead to the pool.

I was very sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with you visit and extend my sincere apologies.