2,439 results
All reviews chateau montebello log cabin indoor pool dog sledding ottawa river horseback riding sided fireplace outdoor activities grounds are beautiful main lobby resort fee cross country skiing one of a kind winter activities crepes outdoor bbq central fireplace
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We spent one long weekend at Montebello in the summer and one in the winter.
It is a beautiful hotel, very large, but it manages to give a feel of a cozy chalet. It has a beautiful reception area that has numerous seating areas surrounding a huge central chimney with 6 fireplaces and a grand piano.
The food is pricey, but one has the option of buffets, which are less expensive.
There are a lot of activities to do in both seasons.
IN the summer, there is an outdoor and a very large indoor pool, tennis courts, golf course, horseback riding , boating, hiking etc
In the winter, dog sledding and sleigh rides, snow tubing, cross country skiing, indoor tennis and curling.
We tried everything and the kids loved it.
Very close by is Omega Park, a drive through park with wild life.
We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The Fairmont Montebello is a beautiful, historic and unique location. My fiancee and I came for a dinner and breakfast package expecting a luxurious and romantic weekend away. Although we had a great time, it wasn't quite what we expected... there were tons of children of all ages, everywhere. This is not a problem per se, but I would suggest that if you're looking for a romantic vacation make sure you are not visiting during a school break (it wasn't even school break when we were there...), try to visit mid-week if you can, and book a late seating for dinner. We would have appreciated if the restaurant had an adults-only section, as we had young children all around us, doing what kids do...
That being said, we loved our room with a wonderful bed and nice historic touches. Enjoying a glass of wine by the huge fireplace after an afternoon of snowshoeing around the property was divine. The food at dinner and breakfast was excellent. There is a practically endless number of activities to keep you busy in any season; we'd love to play indoor tennis and try our hand at curling next time. We found the service at reception and in the restaurant adequate, but not up to Fairmont's usual standards. We had a nice time enjoying some live music in the downstairs bar after dinner; the two musicians did an excellent job playing a variety of covers.
Overall, it was a nice experience and we will certainly visit again... next time knowing not to expect peace and tranquility.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TropicalMeg
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Montebello is the largest log cabin in the world, a 5 star hotel where many such as Princess Grace and Margaret Thatcher have stayed. Its history is pictured on the walls. I first came here in 1982 on a day trip to ski the cross country trails through the woods and along the river, then returned in later years for its magnificent lobby fireplace 4 storeys high to read and have a quiet drink. Last week my husband and I celebrated our anniversary and Valentine's Day here, having found a special rate online for this top notch experience. I can't remember sinking into a more comfortable bed than this and the room temperature was consistently comfortable. We brought our own champagne and red wine and spent the evenings on a sofa on the balcony overlooking the immense stone fireplace. Reminders are everywhere of the early Canada heritage with the benefit of modern warmth and comfort. To my delight there was a husky dog sled team eager to take visitors on a ride through the woods, a Canadian experience I have wanted to do for decades and finally had a chance. It was thrilling. And there is a skating rink and hockey area for those who came equipped. Also on the property is the historic manor house of Louis Joseph Papineau, circa 1850, open in the warmer season. After hours of fresh air we enjoyed the spa tub and pool indoors before sumptuous dinners, one night in the bistro, another night in the dining room. For Valentine's Day the chef offered a six-course meal which continued to please, plate after plate. We were happy we chose to try so much of his cuisine. The breakfast buffet was too big for us but I recommend the French crepes with maple butter from the menu if you have dined big the night before. Those crepes...!! Most of our servers were excellent, only one a bit slow. For a special occasion Montebello is worth the price. I review only those places I can highly recommend and not the places that disappoint. Montebello is a treat to savour.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank findthemusic
ChateauMontebello, Director of Sales at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you for staying with us at fairmont le Château Montebello. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in Montebello .

I was delighted to receive your letter recognizing the outstanding efforts of our staff. It will be my pleasure to pass along your comments.

Just as a note we rent all the equipement for all our activites so you don't need to bring your equipement to do skating, crosscrounty skiing or any other activities.

Your feedback has been extremely valuable and again, we look foward to welcoming you back ate Faitmont Le Château Montebello.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This hotel has a beautiful property and facilities that offer lots of wonderful amenities for families and couples. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It is an older log cabin style with a great accent of black and red paint. There is a huge fireplace inside with a cozy lobby. The food was wonderful both dinner and breakfast. We also had a nice walk around the resort around the yacht club area and also visited a museum that was also within the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

So it is true, the hotel and the grounds are BEAUTIFUL. My husband, daughter and I enjoyed walking outside, we took advantage of the impressive pool and we ate delicious food all week-end. Overall it was a very nice hotel, but I am a bit disappointed in their service.

When I stay at a Fairmont, I expect certain standards. When we got there, we left our car and bags at the entrance. Check-in was seamless, we got to our room and then 20 minutes later, still no bags, we had to call th bellboy who thought our room was not ready so it was all in their storage. Annoying. But mistakes can happen and they got to our room pretty fast after my husband called so it was OK.

I was also annoyed that I had to remind them about my daughter's crib. When I made our reservation I did request a crib for my daughter. When we checked-in the lady at the front desk assured me she'd have it in our room in the next hours. In the end I had to call hours later when it was getting almost bedtime... Still no crib. That was fixed promptly after a phone call too.

Then THIS !!! My daughter was in need of a nap after a tiring ride outside, playing in the snow, so we thought we would take advantage of their 12pm checkout and have her nap before hitting the road back home. About 45 minutes into her nap.... Guess who knocked on the door.... Yep the housekeeping service, INSPITE of the Do Not Disturb sign on the door - and it was 10:30 am ?

My husband was napping too so I rushed to open the door before all her 'HOUSEKEEPING' and loud knocking would wake them up... She then very awkwardly told me she thought she had seen the bellboy coming out with our bags - no appologies mind you- then she quickly left when she realized how upset I was - I was so shocked actually all I could do was to stare at the DND sign while she was there, I could not think of what to say - I thought perhaps it had dropped on the floor or something but no, it was still on -

That was the worst BS excuse I ever heard while staying at a hotel... Thought you had seen the bellboy coming out with our stuff, really ? That would be something that could very well happen at a Holiday Inn or a Hilton perhaps but at a Fairmont I was totally shocked... Knocking on a door which has a DND sign and 1.5h before checkout time is a big NO-NO !

Fortunately she didn't wake up my daughter - we would have had a very cranky little girl for the rest of the day and her mamma wouldn't have been a happy camper. My husband did wake up tho and he was too very upset - napping on a Sunday morning is a luxury we rarely get to enjoy and don't really expect to be ruined by the housekeeping staff from a 5 star hotel...

So at 400$ a night we will probably try other 5 star hotels before we go back to Montebello - it was just a miss for us I guess. I can see why people love it and maybe we were just unlucky... But I am still too upset to consider giving it a second try.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RedWineDrinker23
ChateauMontebello, Director of Sales at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank your for staying with us at the Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello. Guest comments are very important to our operation and are taken very seriously. Your constructive criticism and comments are very much appreciated.

We continually seek to improve our services and facilities and your feedback will assist us in these effort.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences that you experiences. As well, you may rest assured that your comments have been brought to the attention of our housekeeping manager and that steps will be taken to ensure that a similar situation does not recur.

We hope to welcome you back to the Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello.