2,470 results
All reviews chateau montebello log cabin indoor pool dog sledding ottawa river horseback riding sided fireplace outdoor activities grounds are beautiful main lobby resort fee cross country skiing winter activities crepes one of a kind outdoor bbq central fireplace
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and enjoyed the 'romance' package as a gift. The property is very pretty and there are a lot of activities to enjoy. There are great running trails as well and it is conveniently located to corner stores just outside the hotel. The service is just fine. Well, but we did note some strange things.

I know it is a small detail, but for me, it's the small details that make a hotel a 5 star vs. 4. If you order an expresso instead of a regular drip coffee from the set menu, you are charged for the expresso... Even though the price for the drip and expresso are the same on the menu. Strange? A small detail like this makes a hotel lose class I think.

Lipstick stains on glassware. Another small detail... Not so pleasant.

On the last evening at dinner we mentioned we were visiting from Europe. To our surprise, when the cheque arrived to sign, we were informed that they had taken the liberty of adding the gratuity for us because Europeans do not understand gratuities... But if we didn't agree with the amount they would remove it. My husband was really insulted and surprised to be put on the spot. The evening previous, we were not asked where we were from and so the gratuity was not automatically added. Seems prejudicial to me. I was born and raised in Canada, so I see both sides, but find this really insulting to European guests and once again, lacking in style/class.

That said, the rooms are regular, the nature surrounding then property is very very pretty and it was an interesting experience. Oh yes, the food was quite good as well.

1  Thank canuckfarfromhome
ChateauM0ntebell0, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Thank you for your comments following your last stay with us.

I note, however, that you were not entirely satisfied with all aspects of your visit and, as such, I am drawing to the attention of those concerned the disappointments you experienced on this occasion. We are grateful to you for letting us know about our shortcomings. Your constructive comments will assist us in reviewing and revising our operation.

We look forward to welcoming you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

My family and I have stayed at this hotel for a total of 5 nights, and had a grand time.

The Chateau Montebello is located on a prime location, about 2 hours West of Montreal, and 1 hour East from Canada's capital Ottawa. The resort faces the magnificent and peacefull Ottawa River, discribed by Canada patriot L-J Papineau in 1851 "as the most beautiful river in the world". Driving here is a breeze, and once you get here just grab a chair a admire the scenery. You will be charmed, as we have been.

There are mainly outdoor activities outside Chateau Montebello. If your thing is taking time off to enjoy the Great Canadian Wilderness, all 65,000 acres of it, this is definitively worth the trip. Only 20 minutes drive away is Faimount Kanauk, a wildlife heavan and sanctuary. Grab a canoe, and paddle your way on a lake, and listen to... complete silence. Yes, that still exists in today's fast paced world!

If you feel like having a few thrills and exitement, why not try the Land Rover Experience? This activity isn't cheap, but where else could you drive an 80,000$ luxury vehicule on harsh terrain conditions? Drive in 3 feet of water, go up a rocky 30 degree ascent, and then down on terrain so ruff only 2 wheels touch the ground. At some point our Rover was so inclined on the left side I was able to touch the ground with my hand.

If you prefer a more relaxed activity, horseback riding is available, and well as cycling, hiking, kayaking, and swimming (outdoor + indoor pool), and last but not least: golf. Do you have a few pounds to lose? Sports facilities abound on the Chateau: biking, tennis, badminton, squash, weight lifting, exercise machines. Your kids will have pleinty to do also, although toddlers don't have a extensive daycare center like you would find on a cruise ship, for example.

Nice things don't come free though. Most of the activities are free, but the best ones are not. Land Rover experience is 400$ for 2 hours, horseback is 35$ per person for an hour, and we were a bit deceived to have to pay an extra for tennis rackets. And finally, last but not least, the food is expensive here.

Of course, this is a four star hotel, which has served as headquarters for the prestigious Seigniory Club for over 40 years, has hosted many famous events, welcoming world's leaders throughout its history, more recently G.W.Bush and Vicente Fox in 2007 for the Trilateral summit meeting for "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America". So nice things and good food cost money.

In today's high end hotel competitive market though, it doesn't take much to lose one's leading edge. People who have a little more money than the majority in 2011 travel throughout the world, and can have quite a bit of experience in hotels and fine dining. In our humble opinion, for example, the Fairmount Hotel Montebello's general appearance and physical condition needs an overhaul. We chatted with a few guests from Germany in the spa earlier this week. These people had been here 20 years ago, and were surprised to see that absolutely nothing here had changed. No renovations what so ever! I understand that the history and "patrimoine" have to be preserved, but hey, this place is due...

Also, dining venues are more 3 stars than 4. The prices, though, are still in the 4 star range. Yesterday evening, our family tried out the "Chantignol". The food fell flat for the steep prices of our bill. In fact, my "Boston steak" was something one would expect in a local diner's, not a 4 star renowned restauraunt. After giving my opinion to our very nice waiter Marco, the hotel offered not to charge us for the steak, and gave us free deserts. Sweet. The morning buffet also doesn't really score points either.

Mind you, we discovered 3 other very good eating venues outside the Hotel: the country-style "Cafe & Gite", walking distance from the Chateau, will serve you a grand breakfast with a smile for half the price. The "L.J Papineau" in Papineauville (5 minute drive), if you don't mind the exterior kitsh design, makes some very fine meals for a bargain price also. And for a relaxed lunch, why not enjoy a burger at the "Zouk" pub and terrasse?

All in all, we all had a great stay in Montebello. People are very friendly and helpful, the area is magnificient, and there is lots to do. We would definitively come back again! Perhaps Christmas time?

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Ruessavel

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review following your stay at the hotel.

Your comments regarding the appearance of the hotel are not typical of the comments that we are use to get. We would like to let you know that since 2005, we did the renovation of all the guest rooms for 5.2 millions dollars. We also built a new spa in 2006 for 4.2 millions dollars and in 2009, we built the new conference room for 6.2 millions dollars.

We kept the rustic look in all our public areas as well as in our rooms but we are proud of all the accomplishment we made for our guests to feel like home.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon at Fairmont Le château Montebello

Reviewed 13 August 2011

My husband and I treated ourselves to a Spa treatment. I enjoyed a 90 min. facial with Stephanie. It was fantastic and I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for pure luxery and relaxation. My husband had a massage with Marie Claire and found it was the best massage he had ever had for his back problems. The Spa is, in my opinion, 5 star. The staff are very welcoming and the facility of the Spa is perfect for comfort and relaxation. Every attention is made to make you feel special and relaxed.

We followed our Spa treatment by taking lunch in the Main dining room. We were very lucky to have Aline serving us. She is very attentive and does her very best to make sure that you are happy with what ever you choose from the menu. We asked for the Filet Mignon Steak which is normally only on the menu in the evening. However, with Aline's coaxing the Chef obliged us and served a first class steak with all the trimmings. I highly recommend this dish, first class.

The hotel sits in spacious and lovely grounds, with a first class golf course. A great place for everyone's taste.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

Overall a very nice experience, but for a 5-star hotel it fell a little short. View of the river is beautiful (main reason to visit) and the hotel is unique - home to the world's largest fireplace. The decor is somewhat heavy with very dark wood and not a lot of windows. Food at the hotel was fine but nothing amazing. Plenty of activities but many are expensive -$30+ to rent a bike for 1 hr or a pair of tennis racquets. Both the outdoor pool and the indoor pool are great. A lot of kids when we visited, which takes away a bit from the "couples retreat" feel. Nearby kayaking, Omega park, hiking, mountain biking, etc... are all fantastic.

Room tip: windows are very small - upgrading to a "river view" isn't worth the cost.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your stay with us.

Guest comments are very important to our operation and are taken very seriously. We continually seek to improve our service and facilities and your feedback will assist us in these efforts.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

I have visited Montebello many times. This hotel is my favorite of all. It is a huge log cabin. There is an enormous fireplace in the middle of the lobby. It is rustic but elegant. I have been here in summer and winter and there is a lot to do in either season. It is about an hour drive to Ottawa which is a beautiful city! The staff at the hotel is Great! The town of Montebello does not have much for night life but there are some small restaurants. The hotel has all you'd want. The spa is a favorite of ours. The staff in the spa are EXCELLENT!!! They know my son and have asked for him by name on the one occasion he did not make the trip with us. About 15 min. away there is Parc Omega which is a drive through wildlife park. There is a second more isolated Fairmont up about 10 minutes from here where you can do bear watching and other adventures. We did the bear watching it was very nice. We have not stayed at this other hotel (we are more city people and this would be a bit too outdoorsy for us ; )
From Montebello you can drive up an hour to Mont Tremblant. We love Mont Tremblant as well. This is a great destination and about 6.5 hrs drive from Boston. If you go try the sugar pie...you will be hooked! Very sweet...very good! Just writing this review is making want to get in the car and drive up there. I miss it very much.

Date of stay: February 2011