“The only bust of our trip”

Prince Edward Island Culinary Adventures
Ranked #4 of 6 things to do in Cornwall
More attraction details
Owner description: Hands-on, chef-driven culinary adventure company taking people out on the land and ocean to experience the island's food bounty with our farmers and fishermen. We hand harvest with them, cook together and eat together! Also offering limited deep-sea fishing adventures for Bluefin Tuna and Shark.
Reviewed 19 July 2016

We read about Culinary Adventures and Chef Ross in a New York times article early this year when we were planning our month-long trip to PEI and Nova Scotia. We then read the available Trip Advisor reviews. I was excited to learn of something so unique. I then exchanged emails and had a couple of phone calls with Chef Ross, and we agreed on a culinary outing for the end of June. In April, he requested full payment, which I made--fortunately with a credit card. When we arrived in Charlottetown at the end of June, I left a voice mail message for him and subsequently sent a text asking what time he would pick us up at our hotel. I received no response. Finally, at 8:10 pm the evening before he was to pick us up, he sent me a text saying that "due to an extreme recurring illness" he could not do the adventure the next morning and that he had been on medication for three weeks and was still not very well. We felt badly for him and hope that he is recovering by now. However, I am still confused as to why he waited so late to pull the plug. In cancelling, he promised a full refund. He said he understood that it could take 7 to 10 days for a credit to be processed on my credit card. Over the next two weeks, I sent a couple of texts and made a couple of phone calls asking about the status of my refund. The times I was able to reach him he said I should be seeing the credit. Finally, after two weeks my credit card company suggested I dispute the charge and get a refund that way. The word "dispute" sounds harsh but that is what it came down to. Again, we hope Chef Ross is doing better but this could have been handled better.

6  Thank Otto W
ChefRoss, Owner at Prince Edward Island Culinary Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Mr. Gebert,

Yes we had to cancel based on the fact I fell suddenly ill. As for the credit card mix up, I just want to clarify a few points here in this matter, only so that potential clients know what transpired. Although it took some time to get your credit back to your new card, it did indeed get back to you in full. But it is how it had to get there that was the issue. When you first paid in advance for your adventure, it was paid for using one credit card. When we stated that we would fully refund the entire amount to your credit card, you said to refund the amount to another credit card number. We trued this several times. Finally I reached out to the clearing company we use for all of our transactions and they stated that this could be a potential case of fraud. So we were advised by the clearing company to let the process of a complaint works its course as I had stated on the phone in great detail. When a client requests the amount be refunded to an other card, this sends out a alarm bells to the credit card processing company. We cannot do this on our end as we can only credit the card umber that was originally used. Hence the delay in getting this back to you as intended. But in the end it did get paid in full as the credit card company said they would do. It just had to go through their appreciate processing channels...nothing we had control over. I do hope you enjoyed the balance of you stay on the island. Kindest Regards.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Friends of the family invited us to thier cottage for a week. On the last night dinner was cooked by culinary adventures. It was incredible, especially the steaks. They started the meal off with local cheeses and honey. It continued with oysters and other bivalves. Dessert was homemade marshmallow with a fresh baked cookie. Great service and friendly deminar aswell. Also ask about their deep sea fishing, it'll cost you a bit, but it's worth it no doubt.

Thanks Ross

1  Thank Vikram C
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My wife and I spent a week in PEI in September, and our trip culminated with a day out and about with Chef Ross, introducing us to the ins and outs of local PEI foods. The day was lovely, though windy, so we stayed off the lobster boat, but visited a family run oyster farm, eating oysters pulled right from the cages. We then visited a family farm, and a dairy farm, learned a ton and enjoyed the day. Of course, the day finished with a great meal prepared and served in our rental house's kitchen by Chef Ross and his assistant. Great time, great education, and great food. Wish the weather would have allowed us to get on that lobster boat, but my wobbly sea legs wouldn't have survived it.

Ross M, Owner at Prince Edward Island Culinary Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

It was our pleasure having you and your wife out with us that day. It was a bit later in the season but we had such an mazing day. The produce, the freshest oysters and all capped of at your beautiful cottage at West Point made it all a fantastic day for us as well. We look forward to seeing you here again very soon, and if we can be of assistance on your next visit, do not hesitate to reach out.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My boyfriend and I are both Chef's in Denver, Colorado so we were looking for an experience that would show us something in our field that we weren't familiar with and we couldn't have asked for a better experience! Not only did we get to see some oyster cultivating, we also learned all about the harvesting of fresh vegetables and cheese in PEI. We ate some of the most amazing food all while chatting about great experience in our hospitality field. Chef Ross was extremely knowledgable and a perfect fit for what we were looking for. With everything we did during our culinary adventure, it's really difficult for me to say what part was my favorite because it was all perfect!! We will be back for sure!

Hi Katy, thanks so much for the glowing review. It is greatly appreciated. Never in a million years thought we would attract chefs to come out with us. We were honoured to have such great people like you and Kyle out with us for an amazing day of PEI food offerings. We trust you are all well and back to doing your great stuff in Denver. Anyone reading this can find Katy doing her thing at her cooking school at www.stirtolearn.com and Kyle is plying his trade at www.coltandgray.com. We look forward to seeing you both soon! Have a great year and chat soon.

Best,

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a reunion with friends and wanted something not only to free us up so we could chat and catch up on old memories but create new memories. We also wanted to experience real PEI food, fresh and locally produced. Chef Ross provided all of this for us and more! He passed along tips for the BBQ, shared some great recipes, gave us a wonderful meal and brought along his musically talented colleagues - we not only recommend this to anyone spending time in PEI, we will be doing it again.
Thanks Ross

Maggie and Mark,

It was indeed a pleasure meeting you both and all of your guests at the cottage. We too had a great time creating some some fun food with the kids and creating a great meal and vibe and a fun day for your family and friends. We look forward to seeing you all again next year. We will certainly look you up if we are in Hong Kong. Have a great year and see you next summer.

Best,