“Was definitely ok - we would return”
Review of The Pickle Barrel

The Pickle Barrel
Ranked #153 of 218 Restaurants in Pickering
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Visited on a Tuesday evening, around 5:30. Was reasonably busy for that day and time - seemed to be popular with families. We were seated in a booth as we requested. Found the bench seat a tad low - husbands chair seemed a tad high for the table. Enjoyed the modern and open decor. Not what we expected. We both commented that we would try the bar seating when we returned - not so "cavernous" feeling. Our server arrived after a 5 minute wait to take our orders - never offered beverage service until we requested an app and 2 glasses of water. The calamari was very good - served hot with 2 different sauces. $15 seemed a tad expensive but was large enough to be shared. I had the Rueben sandwich- was nicely prepared. The corned beef was a bit skimpy in amount, the dill pickle was "odd/off" but the slaw, fries and sandwich were good. Husband ordered a "meat lovers" sandwich (don't recall the name) which had half pastrami/half corned beef. It was a large portion - he ate and enjoyed it all. We were both more than satisfied with our meal - both taste and amount. In and out in around an hour. Would return.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Went with a group of ladies for a birthday. I dropped the cake off at 12:30 for 4:30 and they were kind enough to hold it. When I went in I told the hostess about the cake explained it was surprise. She said she would tell our server but that didn't happen. I had to oddly get up from the table and speak to her myself. They brought the cake out in box and put it on the table. Didn't even open it and carry it out nicely. Seemed odd...

The food itself was okay. I had the peppercorn steak. Steak was 10oz but was super thin, and mashed potatoes were horrible. They tasted like day olds, and were flavourless and dry. Veggies were barely blanched and weren't very hot. Also they had zero seasoning. Just par cooked plain veggies.

Likely won't be rushing back anytime soon!

1  Thank Lindzeee15
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Since the restaurant only opened in March, our group of 6 could understand the growing pains. Waited 45 minutes before waitress came to our table for our drink orders. Food was so so, and perhaps try again in a few months. Hopefully it will improve as atmosphere and location could make this a fine establishment.

1  Thank miller472016
Reviewed 4 April 2018

The place is wide open you feel like your eating in a cafeteria or a food court. Service was not great but this may be do to it being new and working out the quirks. Food was ok not great by any means. We have been to other locations and they have a much better design, more cozy and relaxed.

1  Thank Jeff W
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I used to eat at the original PB and was turned off for so long when the menu changed and portions got smaller...
not here...