1,152 results
All reviews purple thistle dining room atlantic restaurant golf course cape breton cabot trail nova scotia middle head trail ingonish beach breakfast buffet spectacular views fish cakes live music lobster national park outdoor pool beautiful setting
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Room: shared living loving spaace neighboours but both living and room felt untouched by management except for the basics being clean sheets, toilet paper and amenities. Otherwise room was dirty. Had to shoulder the room door to get in as it was stuck in frame. WiFi signal was strong but didn't work. Bathroom floor tile cracked and broken, shower faucet plumbed backwards, basin handle came off in hand. There was running hot and cold water.

Room Tip: Views are all all awesome. Just find one that's clean
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were excited to drive around the beautiful Cabot Trail, and booked a stay at this place, based on their website information, which was misleading! We had booked to stay and play golf, but had cancelled golf prior to our arrival, after hearing from others how terrible a condition the course was in. We are thankful we did, as upon arrival we viewed a few of the fairways that looked like pasture for goats. They were the worst we've ever seen! Lunch in the Arduaine was poor (seafood chowder was not quite cooked, and served anyway, along with day old and dry cheese biscuits, with butter so cold it wasn't spreadable) but we were overlooking it because we were booked in to the Purple Thistle Room in the evening for fine dining. When I asked the server if I'd be able to get fresh lobster she informed me that they have switched the menu to a buffet!!! We checked-in to our room and once we arrived, checked the pillows for comfort, pulled back the sheets and discovered that only the top sheet was changed, so called and let them know that they must not have had time to make the bed yet. While we were out, they returned but barely put the sheet on the mattress. When we came back to our room after this, we had to remake the bed ourselves...plus we removed the filthy mattress pad that appeared to be on the bed forever. It was a totally gross experience. The breakfast was equally appalling, and served buffet style again. They couldn't even be bothered to make a fresh pot of coffee for the table, and the cream came in individual plastic holders, not exactly environmentally friendly. There's nothing luxury left at this place! All of this at a cost of more than $400! Coming from Cabot Links, and now writing this at Fox Harb'r Resort. Keltic Lodge was just a bump on the road and one we hope we can help you avoid.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were on a three week driving vacation of the Maritimes. I researched and booked all our accommodations along the way and had to work very hard to get a booking at the Keltic Lodge. I got no response to phone calls or email inquiries. I finally got a booking online when their website "opened up" for the season. I noted that they suggested dinner reservations be made in advance and so I requested a 6 p.m. reservation for the day we arrived. We checked out the golf course and it looked fabulous so we booked that as well.

All for not, really...when we checked in we were told we did not have a dinner reservation and they could not accommodate us that night but could the next for 8 p.m. When we got there for this dinner, we were told that the $70 pp set menu was no longer being served as they did not have the staff to do it. We got a $50 buffet that was nothing short of pathetic. Very disappointing. The night before we ate at the restaurant down the road and it was acceptable. We had a very nice table at the window. You can read what others have to say about breakfast...it is all true.

We had booked a stay-and-golf package and they chose to put us in a cottage (shared with strangers) that was as far away from the golf course as you could get. The grounds are large and there are many room options...why wouldn't you put the golfers near the golf course? The cottage was run down and the floor was gritty. The bathroom fixtures were blue a la 1960's. The bed was comfortable, however, it creaked if you moved and the sheets barely fit.

We were here just after Labour Day and it seemed all the staff had gone back to school. The ones left to try to run the place did not seem to be well trained at all.

We decided to go to the gym for a while as we had some time. It was OK, however, I would not get in the hot tub after my workout. It was foamy and cloudy. Absolutely disgusting. There was one yoga mat in the gym but it had to be covered by a towel as it, too, was disgusting. I hear you saying...you should bring your own...and you are right! I went to the pool area afterwards. The pool itself was fine, however, the cabana for changing in was, again, disgusting. There was one unisex room, toilet, shower and change area...that's it...towels tossed all over. I took a few clean towels and put them on the floor while I changed. I went back to my room without changing out of my swim suit as I was not going to go back in there.

We golfed one round at the course. It had not weathered the winter very well and was having some challenges this summer. It was in very bad shape. For the money we had to spend on this round, we expected better. It is rated in the top 10 courses in Canada and, for the life of us, we cannot figure out why! Yes, it is well designed and quite challenging, but if it is not kept up, how can it be rated so high? The club house and restaurant are certainly not what you would expect for a supposedly high-end course. The drinks cart consisted of a young girl with a golf cart and two coolers. She was on her phone more than she was serving golfers and almost ran into us at one point (because she was on her phone and not paying attention).

We had made the choice to stay and golf here rather than going to Cabot Links on the other side of the island. We will not make this mistake again.

I am not happy to have to write this review, however, I feel I owe it to you if you are considering this resort. They charge too much money for such disappointment.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LyndaTen
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Keltic lodge is a pretty average hotel. From the outside it’s a very impressive sight, located on a jutting headland alongside a golf course.
We tried both the restaurants, the buffet was very average for 50 dollars and the walk in despite being cheaper was little better. I have a feeling that at the time we visited the hotel was staff depleted.
It was once a grand place I’m sure but it just isn’t any more. The few staff here were very pleasant but there wasn’t a single occasion where we didn’t have to wait to be seated, served or booked in.
Could be a lot better

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We enjoyed seeing this beautiful old lodge. We walked inside the building and visited the gift shop. The area is beautiful. We did not take time to eat here as it was just a short bathroom stop for the people on the bus tour.

Room Tip: Read other reviews as we only stopped briefly and did not stay over night.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple