1,151 results
All reviews purple thistle dining room atlantic restaurant golf course cape breton cabot trail nova scotia middle head trail ingonish beach breakfast buffet spectacular views fish cakes live music lobster national park outdoor pool beautiful setting
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Keltic lodge is a pretty average hotel. From the outside it’s a very impressive sight, located on a jutting headland alongside a golf course.
We tried both the restaurants, the buffet was very average for 50 dollars and the walk in despite being cheaper was little better. I have a feeling that at the time we visited the hotel was staff depleted.
It was once a grand place I’m sure but it just isn’t any more. The few staff here were very pleasant but there wasn’t a single occasion where we didn’t have to wait to be seated, served or booked in.
Could be a lot better

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We enjoyed seeing this beautiful old lodge. We walked inside the building and visited the gift shop. The area is beautiful. We did not take time to eat here as it was just a short bathroom stop for the people on the bus tour.

Room Tip: Read other reviews as we only stopped briefly and did not stay over night.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The views are magnificent.
The service at the restaurant was less than expected at resort of this calibre from the past.
The rooms are clean and spacious.
The spa area specifically the outdoor hot tub and deck have lived past its usefulliness.
It is quaint we are glad we stopped there BUT the company needs to get busy on updates.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We were vacationing in the area and decided to stop in for lunch. What a mistake that was !!! I had ordered a hot tea and the cup that was given to me looked as if it had not seen soap in a long time .... very badly tea stained. When I mentioned that to our server she brought me another. The second cup was as bad as the first. And to make matters worse when I picked up the napkin that was covering the plate I noticed black marks on the plate. I wet my napkin with water and wiped it across the plate and it came away black. My husband called over the server and I asked her how she could not notice the dirty tea cups and the dirt on the plate. She said she did not notice because she was so busy. I was given a third cup and it too had seen better days. I was afraid to eat by this time. I was thinking if the dishware was so dirty, what were the conditions like in the kitchen. Took away my appetite. Maybe they need someone from Public Health to do an inspection because in my opinion the dishwasher is not working.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2018

We ere a family of four and booked a cottage suite which was a short drive from the main lodge. On entering the room we found the housekeeping broom closet to be open with a large number of service items and pillows thrown in with a dirty mop thrown on top - unsightly!. The limited cutlery for the coffee service had been haphazardly tossed into a lower drawer which gave the impression that perhaps it had not been cleaned since the last guest. The pictures on the wall were askew (was there a minor earth tremor that day?) We asked for towels to be brought and the service was prompt.

Since it was late when we are settled in, we decided to eat on the property and we chose Arduaine for dinner. We waited at the receptionist desk "Please wait to be seated" but the receptionist walked right past us and had a chat with a local friend for a good five minutes before returning to us. We were seated at a table and approached by a friendly server who was attentive and interested. We can say that there were few like her in the hall that night. As we waited for our food we noticed two groups who came in and waited at the reception desk, were ignored so they left. Our meals were brought from the kitchen in a reasonable amount of time but we found all four food choices to be less than satisfactory. We paid the bill and left disappointed.

Since we had booked whale watching experience with a 10 AM boarding we went the breakfast room approximately 8 AM and were told by the harried receptionist that we would have to wait while a table was being prepared. As the waiting line grew longer people simply chose to walk in, find a table, move chairs around and look after themselves - while others waited as requested. Finally, a table was offered but quick apologies were made by the receptionist as no cutlery was ready. It was clearly obvious that the hall was seriously understaffed and serving staff were not able to keep up. Tempers were getting short at this point - both wait staff and guests were getting testy. We hurried through a very average buffet breakfast and pushed our way out through an ever lengthening line of guests at the entrance to the hall.

All in all, our experience was far from satisfactory. Yes, it was Labour Day weekend and hotel was booked out but it seems management overlooked the need to add staff to meet the demand. Or, all the seasonal staff had left to return to school but it left a serious shortfall of staff which was very evident across the property.

The location is brilliant but that's the only memory we take from this visit.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family