Review Highlights
Fabulous time with great guides

What a fun half day we had. The guides were terrific, great with all levels of experience, and fun... read more

Reviewed 5 October 2018
jinilil
Australia
Fun tour, beautiful scenery and friendly guide!

Angelo, our guide, was very friendly and the scenery along the route is super beautiful. The... read more

Reviewed 6 September 2018
George G

All reviews banana bread half day tour chai tea kayak tour bald eagles nova scotia great kayaking light snack homemade jams local bakery stay dry hummus rest stop half hour drive points of interest halfway point a lot of fun
Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

My husband and I decided on the half day tour. It was about 3 hours long and had a wonderful snack half way through. The little beach we stopped at had a nice waterfall. We then sat down and had some delicious banana bread with some jam and also some hot chocolate chai tea. We also had a little red squirrel join us as well. Our tour guide, Sophia, was great. We had a really nice time!

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Although I never tire of the countless visits to quaint fishing villages in Cape Breton, we decided to do something even closer up to see the island. We had a great day of paddling with "North River Kayak" today. From the basic instruction to introduce yourself to your group and onto travelling the water, it was clear our guides know how to lead a diverse group. Angelo and Sophie fixed a simple lunch of homemade fish cakes, beans an delicious banana bread with Angelo's homemade jam. Back on the water for an afternoon of some wind blown kayaking was mildly exerting with a group that all chatted and got along.
Following the trip back of spotting a few bald eagles and leaping salmon, we asked Angelo to play a tune. He happily complied. This guy is talented!
Highly recommend for most ages and for good value.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 24 July 2016

What a glorious way to explore Cape Breton. Within 5 minutes of being on the water in a kayak for the first time I felt totally at ease and at peace. We did the full day tour. It was a beautiful day, our guide was very knowledgeable and we added a number of sea birds to our life list. The lunch was delicious, and paddling into wind added an extra edge to the appetite. I would definitely go kayaking again based on this experience.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Even though it got too windy to take the normal tour a side trip to the visit the Eagles and estuary was also very cool. Helpful instructions for beginners new to kayaking. Justin was a great guide and what a pleasure to meet the owner Angelo. We played his CDs of music in the car the rest of the trip, what a great artist! (If you are into folk/bluesy tunes with a touch of excellent harmonica, you will love this). A highlight of our week in Cape Breton!

1  Thank kayleeleader
Reviewed 21 July 2016

Did a half-day tour today with my mom and younger sister (she's 21, I'm 23). My mom and sister had done sea kayaking in Churchill, Manitoba, but I had done it only once before, around 8 years ago. So I'm a total beginner. But that doesn't matter on this tour at all! Our tour guide, Justin, was fantastic. He started us off with some dry land instruction, teaching us how to properly hold and maneuver our paddles (I really appreciated this!). He and Angelo were really great in helping everyone get in and out of their kayaks and getting us all started on our trip.

As a beginner, I found it hard work, especially on the way back when the wind was against us. My sister went solo, while I was in a tandem kayak with my mom. We were the slowest of our group, and when the winds got really rough on our way back, Justin did have to give us a little tow (okay, two tows, not that little). As a beginner, I recognize that my paddling technique probably wasn't the best (used my arms too much!), so I did appreciate the boost. Rest assured that your guide will never leave you behind; Justin was great at making sure everyone kept up with the group! I definitely felt that I was in good hands.

The lunch stop was great. First of all, it's a much-needed break! There's also a lovely little waterfall that makes for a good photo op. The snack provided was banana bread from a local bakery and strawberry rhubarb jam made by Angelo himself (yum!), along with a lovely chocolate chai tea (I was wet and cold, so the hot tea was appreciated!).

The tour was beautiful, and we saw an eagle and its nest really close-up. I was very tired by the end (I am not known for my muscular strength), so it's the perfect combo of a good workout and gorgeous views. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone looking to kayak on the island.

(TripAdvisor still does not have an option for "Family (adults)" so I've selected "Family (teens)" as the "sort of visit" this was.)