“Robert's Place”

Robert's Place
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We pride ourselves in creating honest and satisfying breakfasts, lunches and dinners from 8 am to 8 pm, 7 days a week. All menu items are available for take-away.
Reviewed 29 March 2018

Eating here is a treat! We had dinner last night with friends to celebrate a birthday and the food - especially the sauces and dressings - was delicious. And the memory of the best vegan chocolate birthday cake ever (vegan or otherwise) on another occasion - a few years ago - still lingers!

Reviewed 8 March 2018

My wife and I were in a few days ago and were fortunate enough to be there when they had the Wor Wonton soup on the Specials list. My wife had the soup and I chose the Garlic Prawns/Caesar Salad special. Probably the best Wor Wonton soup we've had in a long time. Ditto for the Garlic Prawns. Finished the dinner with a really choice chocolate cream pie.
Thanks guys.

Reviewed 23 February 2018

Let me open by saying I have been to many, many restaurants, all over the world. I have eaten at famous places and street stalls; local greasy spoons and massive chains.

Robert's Place has a long history of serving the public. Even before it was Robert's, it was a restaurant. People would congregate there when the power goes out. There was a real sense of community. To be honest, Robert does his share, and then some for the community, and for that, more people ought to be grateful. Sadly most of those people don't have the means to give the restaurant a review.

This is a local greasy spoon. Every time i go for breakfast it is greasy. To be expected i suppose. If you are starving, if you have low standards and, if you don't mind the smell, eat here. Let me explain:

In short; the food here tastes awful. All the food has a slightly rancid flavor. Like the appliances have not been washed, or that the oil was not changed properly or something like that. Possibly the "Chef" uses lard to grease the griddle and does not clean the surface often enough. I am not sure. Pure conjecture on my part, but the result is the same. Almost everything is greasy. If you like that, you will love Roberts.

It has the feel of almost every small town greasy spoon. Nothing special there. I have been to places that were more run down, less maintained, and still in business, but not by much. At least the dining area was relatively clean.

The service to my table (and everyone else) was provided by a single hostess. She was obviously overworked, in a rush. Made me feel like I needed to rush too. Trying to get her attention was like trying to grab a dollar bill in a whirlwind. Haste makes waste. The utensils were dirty. my cup was cracked and dirty. I needed to get it replaced with fresh stuff. I mean....come on....clean dishes and utensils are a must. I don't want to use a cup someone else used, if it has not been cleaned.

Much of the food has a Pre-packaged feel to it. The burger patties look like they were purchased at Costco, rather than being formed by hand for example. There is nothing wrong with that, but the taste suffers for it.

Another good example..... My wife and I ordered milk shakes....but there was not enough ice cream for 2 shakes. Rather than give is 1 good shake, or come back to tell us that there was not enough to make 2 shakes, she made 2 very, very low quality shakes, very runny with almost no ice cream at all. They were not even close to thick.....Then when we were served...my wife's glass was dirty, but rather than replace it the server just whipped out the dirty rag she used to clean the tables and tried to remove the offending dirt on the INSIDE of the glass! She offered us the now greasy smeared glass with the satisfied look of a job well done and was shocked when we asked for a new glass. Disgusting. That is when she explained that there was not enough ice cream to redo the order. we repeated our request for a new glass. She rolled her eyes, went and took care of several other tasks first and then slammed down a fresh glass on the table and ran away. we tried to split the warm runny mess Robert's served us; but it was just too gross to finish even my portion of the "Milkshake". Still had to pay for that "milkshake" though.

ok ok 1 more, just in case you guys think i am being unfair.......

My wife and I ordered a fried oyster dish. I ought to have know better, but this was still early on in my dining experiences with Robert's. The dish was disgusting. It smelled very fishy...a bad sign.... it tasted greasy and rancid.....oh goodness it was bad.....but the worst part was puking my guts out later...... not much value for your money if you can't keep the food down.

Soooo. Not a Terrible place to eat, but one that might make you regret it later. Personally I would rather eat at home, or take the ferry to get good food. I have yet to go to Roberts and NOT be disappointed by my meal. My suggestion? Only eat here if you have no other alternative. If you have to eat here, play it safe and order the food you would expect in a greasy spoon. Don't take any chances. The burgers may taste like crap, but at least they won't make you sick, stay away from the milkshakes and check your service to make sure it is clean, BEFORE you take a single bite.

Oh and Robert..... This IS where people go to tell other people about your place. A customer review is not meant to be swept under the rug with a privet phone call to the owner. Your customers are not your friends. Telling people to call you to complain rather than post the truth on the web about your establishment is unethical. Stop it.
Don't stoop to trying to defend yourself online. Make the food better. Make the restaurant better. Then you might get less negative reviews. Oh and remember.... You can't please everyone. There are always going to be some people who just don't like your food and what it does to their body. Don't take it personally. Just do better.

3  Thank A C
Robert_and_David, Owner at Robert's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

My/our customers are our friends and I am blessed to have many. That's what makes Gabriola a unique place in this world.

I read your review of Sam's Sushi and it was disheartening to see you using the word "shame" in a myriad of ways. It looks like you wrote about 10 reviews in one day. I guess you needed to unload all of this important , life-saving information at once. If we have served oysters, its been a few years.

I have also been approachable and reasonable. There's nothing devious about having a personal conversation about service concerns. It's probably what this world needs more of.

ok ok 1 more, just in case you think i am being unfair.......

Peace

Robert

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Great service and excellent food. The Chicken Caesar wrap was delicious. It's easy to find in the Village area and within walking distance of the ferry terminal.

Robert_and_David, Owner at Robert's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Grateful for your kind and affirming words. Robert

Reviewed 31 December 2017

Food is always good. We have eaten here a few times now and are never disappointed. We have eaten roast dinners to salads and all are delicious.
Atmosphere is casual and relaxed with friendly helpful staff.

Robert's also sell fresh eggs which are delicious.

Thank you for choosing us when you dine out. We are most grateful for your encouraging and positive review. Robert