All reviewszodiac tourprincess louisa inletwilderness lodgeforest viewskookumchuck rapidschatterbox fallsfloat planestunning locationocean view roombreakfast and dinnerling codspectacular sceneryremote locationa short ferry ridemain buildingsalmonhot tub
Reviewed 13 September 2017

We stayed here for three nights as part of our tour of BC. We were not disappointed, plenty of parking , really nicely equipped rooms, in wooden lodges, balcony with chairs and table, and very comfortable beds.

The restaurant is superb - the quality of the food is the highest quality, amazing salmon, Ling Cod, the best Sirloin steak etc. etc. , and even a simple breakfast of yogurt and granola was not what you would imagine - so very different and the views from the restaurant and especially the outdoor balconies just added that touch of magic.

we would certainly love to go back if we were on the sunshine coast

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are more expensive but worth the extra
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We eloped to the sunshine coast at the end of August, 2017. I had booked 5 rooms at the lodge for myself and my fiance, our best man, our made of honor and our two photographers for 3 days total. We were told over the phone that if we didn't purchase the 'elopement package' then the lodge could not be associated with our wedding. When I asked if we could reserve a table for 8 the eve of our elopement, as regular guest...nothing special, I was told I could not be seen in my wedding dress on the property. I honestly thought this was a major misunderstanding...why wouldn't they want our money? Flash forward 5 months and we arrived at the truly breathtaking resort. My fiance and I had a gorgeous ocean view suite (beware in summer as there is no a/c) and our guests all had forest view rooms. The property itself is amazing. However; from the moment we arrived we all felt unwanted. And it was confirmed, that if I wanted to eat in their restaurant following our forest elopement (off the property), I would have to change out of my dress. How can someone actually tell you what you can/can't wear???We had planned to go somewhere else, but we had a 1 month old with us which made our options limited...so I changed. I will say that the wait, and kitchen staff were very nice, and the food was excellent. For the amount we paid to be there, and for the event we were there for, the customer service was definitely lacking. To the point where one evening we watched the owner talk to each table of guests at supper, without even a look at ours. They knew the day we had gotten married, and not a single congratulations was heard (besides the wait staff who really was lovely) When our photographers politely asked reception if there was a boat available on the property we could use, the receptionist glanced at the owner and explained they were with 'the brandy wedding' and indicated they did not have a boat for them (whether they actually did or not I'm not sure why the comment was necessary).

All in all we made the best of the situation, but I would definitely raise caution to anyone thinking of getting married in the area, without actually using the lodge. We were also told there had been a few unhappy brides to stay in 2017, largely because of surprise price increases.

And finally, not that this is hugely important at a wilderness lodge, just as a warning there is no cell phone service and poor wifi coverage at the lodge (and most of the surrounding area)

3  Thank BPilgaard
The L, General Manager at West Coast Wilderness Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us – we apologize that it may not have been all you were hoping for on such a big day. As many couples choose our venue to celebrate, we do understand the importance of all the little details coming together to create a special moment. Regarding our policy about weddings, our couples do pay up to $4000 for the venue alone. We do offer an elopement package for much less. This includes full access to our venue for photography purposes, a private ceremony, as well as a romantic 3 course dinner in a secluded part of our restaurant which allows for speeches and pictures taken. As you chose to stay with us as regular guests not a part of this package, we were not able to offer our Elopement or Wedding services. One of the benefits of purchasing these services is that all staff on site is made aware that you are treated as VIP guests. The owners, had they know you were a wedding couple, would've gone out there way to wish you well, as would any of staff along the way.
All restaurants do actually have a dress code, we do however agree that you should’ve been able to wear your wedding dress. For that miscommunication we do sincerely apologize.
When asked about the use of one of our boats for pictures, our reception politely informed the photographers that the boat would have to be booked as our 1 hour Inlets Zodiac Tour, within our operating times (9-4). It was not until later in the evening after tour operation hours, that we were informed you were interested in going out for pictures. Unfortunately, as we did not have a boat captain available to take you out we were no longer able to offer this option.
We appreciate that you chose our location to celebrate such an important day, and do hope you will join us again in the future. However it is important to note that as you had not purchased a Wedding Package with us we would follow our regular resort policies in your regards, as with all guests.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

I have been booking a number of different restaurants for a car group of some 25 when I first talked to the wilderness Lodge they were very excited but when it came to making the final booking they decided that we were a event and everyone would be required to have the same meal and all the meals would have to be pre-booked as well the average meal was around $25 but as an event I was told each meal would be approximately $50 and if anyone did not show up I personally would be responsible for paying for it

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Les R
Reviewed 3 September 2017

If you want to enjoy a unbelievable view and food, you have to stay here! Nice service and a good choice of different specialities. The room we got was rather small with no view but still clean and very comfy. The spa they are offering is actually just a whirlpool and the offer to get a massage.

1  Thank Kevin T
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

We ate there very spontaneously while driving by. We were welcomed immediatly and got a table at the restraunt which has an unbelievable view and great food! very friendly and helpful waiters! we will come back!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple