“Excellent holiday !!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 219 Hotels in Sunny Beach
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Excellent holiday !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I have to say that reading some of the reviews just after we had booked had put doubt in our minds about going ,However as soon as we arrived, we soon realized that we would love every minute of our holiday .
As this was our first time visiting bulgaria me and my husband (me 25 and hubby 27) was unsure of how it would be and if it would be for us and we could not have had a better honeymoon anywhere .We went all inclusive for 10nights.
The locals are very friendly however do be careful near the little monkeys down the beachfront as hubby was bitten by one which was a little scary but turned out fine .
Our only problem was that shops started to close the first week we was there however this was our choice to go late in the season! I would definitely recommend the Barcelo royal to friends and family of which we already have and are planning on returning next year .From the first night of arriving pulling up to the hotel it looks stunning then as you go into the hotel it is just beautiful at the reception the all staff were very pleasant and friendly. We also received a beautiful fruit basket and bottle of wine as this was our honeymoon .
Our room was beautiful exactly what sort of thing that we wanted .
The food was gorgeous as someone who is a fussy eater i never had a problem finding something to eat my only problem was stopping eating!! I don't know how people could complain about the food as all was cooked perfectly especially the pool bar food (the staff here are brilliant).We was always able to get a sit in the restaurant whenever we went in .
The a la carte was absolutely beautiful , the food and service was fantastic!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Terri c
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Me and my partner (both 25years old) stayed here for a week all inclusive. We didn't arrive at the hotel until 1:30am, the bus pulled up and the entrance itself will blow you away. The hotel from the front is very grand and the drive upto the hotel is lovely. The reception area is very comfortable with big sofas. The reception staff although seem a little rude, they are excellent and will do anything for you. Chek in was quick and easy. You need your passports for check in which is mandatory in Bulgaria. We could have waited 10minutes for them but as I was sooo tired we decided to pick them up in the morning. We got out of the lift on the 7th floor and the carpet is like sand with low lighters on the floor the hallways are stunning in themselves. We reached our room, open the door and WOWWWW!
The rooms are massive, with big queen size bed. Also a sofa and seating area. The bathroom was lovely with a big bath and separate shower cubicle. A lovely big mirror in the bathroom with plenty of space to put all your bits and bobs.
The balcony was huge, with a lovely wooden table and chairs and airer for your clothes. We had a view of the entrance, which although doesn't have a pool or sea view didn't bother me as the sun sets this side and after a day of baking by the pool is lovely to watch the sunset over the mountains and your able to see the coming and goings .... If your nosey like me lol.
The room had a lovely plasma tele, and fridge. We had dinner delivered to the room at 1:30am compliments of the hotel, which was lovely after 12hours of travelling. Cheese, ham, rolls and a cold bottle of water =)

The buffet restaurant, which you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner again is SUPERB. The choose is excellent with something for everyone. And the staff will make anything you want if you ask. Desserts are always freshly made and the choice is endless =) We never waited for a table and the staff came and served you drinks. The hotel is 5* and they do this by making you use cards instead of AI wristbands. Personally it didn't bother me, you said your room number and that was it. When ordering drinks you do need to sign every time.....But its not a problem and actually made me feel 5* =)

You can use the A'la carte restaurant once in your stay which again will not disappoint you. The beach bar, serves food and for burger and chips or chicken wraps by the pool you cant beat it.

The facilities are this hotel are brilliant.....out does every hotel we have ever stayed at. Although the pool was freezing once your in you soon acclimatise to the temperature. The pools are lovely....The main pool is massive with plenty of loungers, then the smaller pool again always clean and plenty of loungers and then the baby pool. The indoor pool is fantastic, not as cold and lovely for the end of the day soaks or for when the sky is a little cloudy. The jacuzzi was lovely and refreshing. If you really want to treat yourself have a day in the spa. OMG!! The Turkish bath was amazing and they have great offers on so go downstairs and have a look because they are not in the book. I would go back for the spa alone =)

There is also a shopping mall built around the hotel with plenty of shops, we went when the season was ending so some had closed down but in the summer other guests said they are all full. The hotel has 24hour security so you always feel very safe although Bulgarians are very friendly. I didn't hear of any pick pocketing or theft at all, and I felt very comfortable walking alone at night.

The main strip (flower street) is a short 2minute walk down artist lane...which is an experience alone. The tobacconist is on this street too. To eat and drink in Bulgaria is very cheap and there are many restaurants and bars around flower street. The nightlife again has something for everyone. Sunny beach itself is very clean and tidy with people cleaning every morning. The beach was very clean with lovely white sands. We did a few trips in our week. We went to Kahn's Tent....Which is a night you won't forget. I won't spoilt it by telling you tooo much but its worth the money. We also did the jeep 4x4 adventure which is fab. You have a 4x4 trip through Bulgaria into the mountains and through the small villages. We went to the drivers home for a traditional meal.....Be aware of the rakia......Bulgarian whiskey....oooo it burns lol

I was very impressed with Bulgaria and the Barcelo is one of the best hotels in Sunny Beach. I would recommend it to anyone =) I can't wait to go back next year.

Little tips.....Most places in Bulgaria you have to pay for the toilet, just leave a few coins in the jar.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floors have the best views. If you have a pool view room you know what you wil...
8 Thank S06tace
exeter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

What a great hotel on arrival there were cold meat and cheeses with bottled water in our room as our plane was delayed we arrived early hours of that morning.
A quick check in passports held overnight - the room is large and very comfortable - huge bed - free safe - free pool towels - we had been upgraded to a pool view with a basket of fruit as it was my birthday during our stay a nice touch I thought.
We were all inclusive the food was excellent with a wide choice something for every-body - the staff are great - what I did like the best was not having to wear those plastic coloured wrist bands you are given a card to show instead.
Sunny beach is very cheap to buy food and drinks so I would not go all inclusive again although I could not fault the hotel food, best rooms 2nd floor pool view with pagola on a large patio best room 203

Room Tip: 2nd floor pool view with pagola on a large patio
7 Thank champagneladyExeter
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Barceló Royal Beach is a very well managed hotel, we could not have asked for more attentive, courteous and friendly staff. The room, facilities and food were excellent. Sunny Beach has lots of fine soft sand and an idyllic curved bay. Be prepared for the security regime at Bourgas Airport. After being asked to remove jackets, watches and to empty pockets, I saw from the slow queue, passengers being body searched in a constant line. I was gruffly told to lift my arms and was searched absolutely all over, twice. I was told to remove the pouch from inside my shirt that was hung from my neck, which I use for my passport and main cash which was handed to a second security officer and searched. I was also told to remove my money wallet from my back trouser pocket which was also searched. I have been body searched once before during my travels and fully support the need to do so for all our safety, but I won’t be subjecting myself to Bourgas Airport security again.

Room Tip: Our allocated 7th floor D bock room at the front of the hotel proved to be quite good as we enjoyed...
3 Thank Geoff R
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

The Hotel itself was lovely, apart from the reception staff whom were rather "cool" in their approach, the pool was freezing, colder than the sea!!! despite the weather being wonderful!
The big problem we had was a severe case(s) of Gastroenteritis, and apart from myself so did most of the people we met at the hotel over the two weeks we were there!
My husband ended up at the local clinic for treatment, and has just recovered 2 weeks after returning home, and having lost nearly 2 stone! The Hotel was kind in that they sent a lovely complimentry basket of fruit, and I don't blame them for the problem as much as those dirty people who don't wash their hands after using the loo, or just run one hand under water, and I saw a lot of that sort of behaviour. Mandatory Hand gel should be used before entering the dining room, this would certainly help the stop this sort of infection, it really beggers belief that people do not wash their hands with the well provided soap and hot water.

3 Thank KentWillow