Canad Inns Destination Center Grand Forks
Sleep Inn & Suites(Grand Forks)
US$ 84
US$ 95
Priceline
US$ 86
US$ 81
All reviewsbunk bedswater park is greattavern unitedhotel guestsbreakfast buffetalerus centerfootball gamelarge bathroomwater slidesmini fridgenorth dakotacoffee makersausagearcadesplasherscanadinnsgarbanzo
Reviewed 16 September 2017

I was here for a conference at the Alerus Center and you cannot beat the convenience of the location because the two are connected. The hotel was clean and the rooms were comfortable. The price is also reasonable.

If you are looking for amenities, though, go elsewhere. (1) The in-room wi-fi was modem-like slow. Unreal at this day in age. If you needed to work, you had to head to the Alerus Center and use the public wi-fi. (2) Despite the hotel having 12 floors, the fitness center features one treadmill, two ellipticals, and two stationary bikes. No weights. And the exercise machines were not connected to the cable TV. I arrived on a Tuesday and there was a wonderful refreshing container of ice water with orange slices in the fitness center. Delicious. Unfortunately, come Friday it was all but empty, room temperature -- it had not been changed since Tuesday and no ice since then. (3) I had to have the magnetic card for my room re-keyed every day and twice on one day. (4) Some of the staff at the front desk were nice, while others seemed to be on 24 hour duty (literally) and were non-talkative. (5) My travel partner's room went two days without cleaning and when addressing this to the front desk was told this "was not their problem, they contract out the room staff".

In short, there are SO MANY hotel choices nearby within 0.25 mile of the Alerus Center, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Water park was a lot of fun. Check the hours before booking as it changes based on occupancy and season. One large water slide with a lazy river and kids play area with 2 other slides. Large arcade and Garbonzo's pizza was great. Hotel rooms were clean. Check in took 10 minutes as our clerk did not know the hotel packages that they offer and so we had to help him figure out our stay and play package which included breakfast. Breakfast had poor selection and was not looked after very well by the staff. I would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Ryan at the front desk was beyond help. He didn't give us the correct number of wristbands, no Aaltos vouchers and when I asked about more towels for the pool, he said" I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do" and walked away. Truly pathetic!!!

The room was in worse condition than a roadside motel. Worn carpet, candy wrappers under the desk, someone's shirt from the previous night jammed between the nightstand and the bed, stains on the sheets that would make you cringe... I could go on but the thought just grosses me out. I'll stay anywhere else next time I am in town!!!

This is the exact review I gave CanadInns!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Westhawk
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

We went on a quick trip to Grand Forks ro have fun in the waterpark and do a bit od shopping. We stayed at the Canad for one night. It was not our 1st stay at thw Canad. We booked the room through Expedia as it was cheaper than booking directly through the hotel even with a CAA discount.

Check In:
Check in was at 3:00 and we checked in at 3:30. Check in was super quick, front desk staff were very friendly and explained everything we needed to know. We also found out that free breakfast was provided in the month of August which was a nice unexpected bonus. They also provided us with complementary nice cold bottles of water which was great as it was 30 celcius.

Room:
We stayed in a kids themed room which my son loved. He liked that he had his own TV and PS4. PS4 controllers and games were complementary and could be signed out at the front desk. The room included a separate bathroom, kids room with 4 bunk beds, a queen sized bed, coffee maker, microwave, mini fridge, armoir and drawers, flat screen tv. Our room was on the inside of the hotel so our window showed a view of the waterpark. We did not hear any noise from the waterpark.

WIFI:
Wifi is complementary but you will need to re-connect a minimum of once per hour. We found the speed to be quite slow and had difficulty loading sites with pictures (i.e. Facebook or Pinterest) and Youtube videos.

Waterpark:
Waterpark passes are not included in the room rate and can be purchased upon entry or billed to your room. The waterpark was great fun and never seemed crowded. My son loves the water slides and the lazy river. My only suggestion would be to have an extra lifeguard on as we saw many older children (approx 12 years old) being rowdy and doing things they shouldn't have been doing and one little girl was injured as a result.

Arcade:
Our son loves playing arcade games so he had alot of fun playing the games and earning points to redeem for prizes. Arcade prizes are never great quality but the ones available were really low quality. We would love to see a mini-putt in this hotel.

Restaurants:
We ordered a pizza from Garbanzos for supper and it was pretty good pizza and the price was very reasonable. We ate in our room and were provided with disposable plates and cutlery. We purchased drinks from the machine on our floor as it was cheaper than buying from Garbanzo's.

The following morning we enjoyed our complimentary buffet breakfast. There were more than enough options to choose from: yogurt, fruit, pastries, cereal, toast, eggs, ham, sausage, pancakes, coffee, tea, juice, milk. The buffet ended at 10 and we arrived at 8:30. We left at around 9:30 and the line to get in the restaurant was super long I would recommend going no later than 9am.

We would definately stay here again. Although there are many hotels that are less expensive that this one, if we are travelling as a family we will stay here because of the waterpark. Non-hotel guests can also use the waterpark but in my opinion it's just way more convenient to stay in the hotel.

For those with children I also highly recommend taking a quick drive over to East Grand Forks MN to the Sherlock Forest Playground which has a giant play structure and is great fun.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Just spent a night at this hotel in Grand Forks. What a beautiful place. Not sure what the people below this expected but we stayed in four hotels on our vacation and this one was tied for the best. The room was large and very, very clean. In fact you could smell the cleanliness when you walked into the room. It had a sofa and chair as well as a large work space. The bathroom was large and everything was accessible. Anti-slip tabs on the tub floor were a plus.

The room came with a fridge, coffee maker and microwave which we did not use, but they were available. Free breakfast at Aalto's buffet and a free drink at the Tavern bar were part of the package. They also have a quiet policy of no noise in the hallways between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. which I thought was fantastic.

Oh and check in was very professional and the staff dressed accordingly. A great place that we would stay at again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple