“Do Not Stay Here”

Country Suites By Carlson, Bismarck
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Bismarck
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Only stayed here because it was the last room in the city the weekend of 3/30/12. Paid $189 per night for a dump in Bismarck, ND! Hotel is dated and not clean.

Bathroom was especially disgusting. Dirty tile and chips in toilet seat...really, how expensive is it to replace a toilet seat? The bedding for the sofa bed was the lowest quality possible and the "mattress" for it was paper thin. My children were uncomfortable.

While the waterslide is fun for kids, the hotel was full the weekend we were there. There was a hockey team staying (or at least using the pool) and they were extremely obnoxious. Absolutely no hotel staff monitoring the behavior in the pool area. We ended up going back to our room so noone got injured from the craziness on the waterslide.

Two nights of kids (hockey and gymnastics families) running and shouting in the halls. Again, no staff monitoring the halls at all. (I believe the parents were sitting by the pool having cocktails.) I finally chewed out the young kids across the hall for fighting in the hallway.

Carlson should seriously consider revamping this hotel, not only the building, but the management. Look at all the horrible reviews. Someone isn't doing their job!

Room Tip: Rooms at Fairfield or Candlewood (newest hotel) would be better choices.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank iharttravl
Biskcountry, Manager at Country Suites By Carlson, Bismarck, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Yes you are so ture, the hotel did have a very busy special event weekend during your visit-I truly apologize for all the extra guests in the hotel. I appreciate your comments on the condition of the guestroom, we have been working hard with new staff members bringing them more inline with our needed standards that all valued guest expect wherever you travel. Thanks for helping us be better and please give us the opportunity to show you what we can achieve with this added service focus.
Hotel General Manager
Bismarck, ND. Country Suites

Reviewed 14 February 2012

If I could rate this hotel a zero, I would.

I stayed at this hotel on an overnight trip from Sunday to a Monday. I had a meeting at the state capital and since I had stayed here once before, I decided to give it a try.

When I had booked the reservation, the front desk told me that check in was at 3pm. When I arrived, I was told that check in was at 4pm. The rude young lady that informed of us the check in time said that I should see the sign posted in the hotel. I am not sure how this is helpful when you call in to make a reservation. The hotel information book also said 3pm. I guess an hour wouldn't be a big deal, if the customer service was helpful or friendly, but it is not. We later learned that the girl we spoke with was the daughter of the supervisor. We left and came back and were able to check in at 4--but the people behind us were not that lucky.

The room was not clean or well maintained. The door in our room as well as others around the hotel were peeling in places. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked. We found a bug crawling around which made us a little nervous as there are some bugs you don't want to take home with you. In the corners of the bathroom, we saw spots where the floor had not been cleaned in a long time, not to mention that the shower/bath had not been properly cleaned in some time--the dust was thick.

The people next to us had a loud party in which a baby cried throughout the entire night until 10:30pm and they must have opened and slammed the door 20-30 times. It was impossible to get any sleep. When we called the front desk, they did call which stopped the door slamming, but not the baby crying. The hotel was not full (I asked) so why they had us all so close together knowing that the walls were thin and did not move anyone is anyones guess.

Despite the fact that they were not full, when I asked for a late check-out, the manager said that I could have no longer than a 1/2 hour. I have travelled to Bismarck before and other places. Usually a one hour grace is forgiven if requested. But, again, it was the rude way that this issue was handled that made me irritated. First, the front desk staff in the evening cannot make the decision--you have to call the supervisor in the morning. At other hotels, the front desk staff is able to do this no problem.

If you do try to go to the front desk--they are understaffed--so prepare for a long wait. When we wanted to check out we waited as there was no one there at all and the staff member in an office nearby was too busy talking to an employee to get up at all. Thankfully the maintenance supervisor checked us out or we might still be there.

The breakfast was not as good as other Country Suites hotels I have stayed at or even this one. (I did stay here 2 years ago and it was MUCH better). We ate at a local restaurant due to the poor selection.

They do have a pool with a slide, but it is closed for service at weird times. Usually, maintenance is performed at times AFTER check-out so that guests may actually enjoy the amenity. Not this one.

Overall, I felt that the staff at this hotel felt like the guests were a big bother and that they were doing you a favor for being open at all.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Stephanie S

Thank you for giving our hotel some important and valuable feedback from your visit with us. A rude staff member is way out of line from what we are trained to do for our valued guests. I greatly apologize for the improper display of gratitude that is due each and every guest that walks in our doors. We want you to feel at home while staying with us and again I apologize for us dropping the ball on that critical part of providing expected service to you. We have been working with new staff giving additional training in areas you have elaborated on. Please do not give up on us, we would love to have you back the next time your travels bring you our way.
Thanks again for your time and feedback,
Country Suites of Bismarck, ND

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites during a last-minute trip to Bismarck when no other decent hotels had availability. All I can say is "YUCK" and state the fact that I will not be returning. Let me start from the beginning...
At check-in, stood in line for ten minutes, waiting for my turn to check in while the desk clerk checked in another traveler and answered phone calls, all the while another employee stood around, not offering to even help answer the phone. As I walked toward my room, I noticed that it was ajar. Evidently, the maid had not closed the door tightly after cleaning, and it had sat ajar all day (it was now 10:30 p.m.). After checking the room over to make sure it was safe for me (a woman) and my daughter, I called the front desk to report the unlocked room and to make sure that I wouldn't be charged for any missing items, etc. that could have been taken from the unlocked hotel room during the day. Response from the front desk was unapologetic and brisk. The room itself was sad, tired, outdated, and dirty. In the bathroom, the tile floor was cracked in many places, the bath tub enclosure was stained. and the door frame rusty. The carpet was stained with red spots (blood?) between the beds, and the top of the desk had spills on it. The base of the flat-screen television glowed a bright neon blue during the night, and I ended up having to place a towel from the bathroom around the base so I could get some sleep. Breakfast was sub-par too, even for a continental breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lr2522
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Sheets were dirty, rooms looked like a sleezy motel with the price of a grand hotel, walls were paper thin...heard neighbor drop a coin on the bathroom floor...no joke! The suite has two rooms and and no air flow in the first half and then the worst part....went down to talk to the front desk and they not only had no class or customer service skills but they told me to get out if I didn't like it...are u kidding me? Do NOT stay here if it is the last hotel in bismarck...drive to the next town or sleep in your car and save the $200.

• Stayed: February 2011
5  Thank msawaya

I apologize to you, you should never have to deal with a rude person at a business that depends on customers to stay open. We have been working with front line staff on a number of issues and additional training to remind all team players the value of our guests. Concerned of your comment of "outdated guestrooms" the Bismarck, Country Suites has the latest Carlson standards of guestroom furnishings and decor that can be found in other chain hotels? Our rates do flow with special events and some weekends, we monitor area rates and remain competitively priced within the market. Specialty guestrooms with added amenities will carry additional pricing for the upgrade.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment and helping point out areas we need improve.
Sincerely
Bismarck, Country Suites

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Rooms are outdated. walls are paper thin.banging all through the night. heat/cooling didn't work in the room. They charged $175 for this dump. and the worst part is that the staff was rude and didn't care one bit.

• Stayed: January 2012