“New Location, Better Menu”

Lemongrass Thai Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 35 Restaurants in Winterville
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 11 July 2015 via mobile

Lemongrass was already the best non-Japanese Asian restaurant in town. Their new location offers an updated menu and a more chic environment. My favorite dish is the chicken satay noodle.

Reviewed 29 May 2015

Their new location is fantastic. Great décor and furnishings.

Service was a bit off yesterday. It took 3 different servers to get our drink order, and the wait for the food was longer than expected.

My wife's chicken was great but my beef satay was too mushy to eat. I only had 3 small tastes and could not eat any more.

Their internet was also "down" and when we asked for the check, they advised us that hey could not take credit cards - wish they had told us that "up front".

Reviewed 29 May 2015 via mobile

We have been eating at lemon grass for years. They now have closed their other two smaller restaurants and opened a new restaurant on fire Tower Road just off Highway 11. It has a very attractive decor and they have expanded their offerings to include some Japanese dishes and mixed drinks. We had the mango salad which is wonderful! We also had the chicken satay salad. The chicken satay and shrimp satay were delicious. Most of their dishes are moderately spiced and not overly hot, but you can order it hot if you like. Wait staff is always very nice and friendly. We are looking forward to coming back again and trying some other new dishes.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have tried a few Thai places in Greenville, and so far have been disappointed. We moved here from Amarillo, and believe it or not, Amarillo had far better Thai as well as Vietnamese food. Still, we were pretty happy with Lemongrass.

The restaurant is in a strip mall between Paramore Park and Sams Club. There seems to be a different lemongrass in Greenville, I am writing about the one on Firetower road in Winterville. Inside, it is basic, there are a few Asian themed decorations hanging over the tables. It is comfortable and casual, just the way I like it.

We went for lunch and while we were satisfied with the size of the menu, a few basic staples were missing. I generally go for either a Pad Kee Mao with mixed seafood, or a chicken Panang. I wasn’t able to find either on the menu. I asked the waitress about a Pad Kee Mao, and she recommended a different seafood dish. I asked what kind of sauce it came with, and she indicated a brown one, so I passed. She was very patient and careful to ensure that I understood what I was ordering, so I was grateful for that.

We started with lettuce wraps, which were on the white-board special menu. They were good, different from what you get at Wasabi 88, they are already prepared for you (other places, they generally bring you the chicken and lettuce and you make them yourself), with a good savory chicken, crunchy fresh lettuce on the outside, and a few small crunchers. It had more texture than normal, and they brought a little chili sauce on the side, which I used to give it a little kick. These were quite good.

I ended up ordering the lunch special with drunken noodles, which tasted a little like Pad Kee Mao. It had the same fat noodles, not overcooked, just how I like them. The sauce was not as spicy as the Pad Kee Mao that I am used to, but it still had some kick (I had asked the waitress to make it 7/10 on the spicy scale, but she was still conservative). It was pretty good. The lunch special came with a spring roll (very dainty and flaky, and went well with the plumb sauce), and a salad. My only suggestion would have been to put the dressing on the side. For >$7, I was very satisfied.

My wife ordered an egg plant lunch special. Again, the waitress was careful in listening to what she wanted. The dish was designed to be somewhat sweet, and my wife talked with the waitress to request that it be made spicy rather than sweet. They seem to have used a different sauce than what was described in the menu, and added a hot pepper, making it awesome. She was very happy. The lunch special came with the same salad and spring roll, and also a scoop of rice.

Overall, the food was very good. What really made me happy about this place, was the patience and care with which the waitress made sure that we got something we liked. Recently I was at Café Duo and asked for a different bread with a tuna sandwich, and was told no. At Lemongrass, the waitress talked me away from dishes that I wouldn’t like, and even completely re-did the sauce on my wife’s (very inexpensive) order to make sure we were happy. Hats off to Lemongrass.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Lemongrass has been one of my favorite places to go for many years. I average a trip every couple of months. Every time I go, I get the LemonGrass Chicken. It's sweet and mildly spicy sauce is great - using the rice as pallet neutralizer it works out perfect. The spring roll with honey that comes with it is the perfect way to end the meal without heading for dessert after. The egg/veggie rolls in rice paper are great too. (A5 on the menu I think) #Enjoy