“Great pizza, nice family story”

Zito Pizzeria and Grill
Ranked #74 of 700 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Reviewed 26 September 2015 via mobile

Stopped in on our way from Maryland to Boone. Small family friendly place with great service and variety on the menu. Had paoutine (Canada) and pizza (Italy) and nice selection of items that were Greek. Owner and son working together, so nice and great service.

1  Thank Kathy H

Reviewed 21 August 2015

A new favorite!!! The poutine is a must have. The Greek plates are wonderful, and big portions. The pizza's are really good. Everything is scratch made. Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken is the best!!! We keep going back to make sure we try everything they have. You will too!!!

2  Thank nc1go
Reviewed 1 August 2015 via mobile

Right out of the gate, you can see the Greek and Italian vibe. We started off with garlic bread. Basic, but really good. Ordered a pepperoni pizza and the white Italian pizza. Both outstanding. During our meal the man in the kitchen (my guess....based on accent :) and friendly vibe....was the patriarch of the restaurant) came out and greeted us and was very appreciative of our opinions of his pizza.

If ever back in the area we would definitely go back. Small and family owned and operated.

3  Thank D8NFlyers
Reviewed 13 March 2015

Based on the other reviews here I probably had too many expectations for my initial visit to Zito's in Winston Salem. A friend and I met for lunch one Friday. She doesn’t eat meat on Friday’s and Zito's web site listed a tuna salad sandwich special. When she tried to order it apparently it was another’s day’s special. If you have a website you really need to keep it updated.

She selected the special sandwich of the day, a grilled cheese with fries. Fries were first-rate, the sandwich was disappointing with a piece of plastic like orange cheese that didn’t appear completely melted. I ordered the gyro, which was good. Pita was excellent and the tazaki sauce was tasty.

So our evaluation is mixed, thus the title of the review.

1  Thank DearDona
Reviewed 5 March 2015

Went here last night with my wife having to wait an hour for our glasses to be done down near Haynes Mall. Found this place on Trip A -- so decided to try it.

Very friendly service by everyone in the place. Very "homey greek" feel -- most welcoming. The menu is actually pretty extensive -- it combines some Canadian (yes, you read that right) fare: Poutine (fries, fresh cheese curds and gravy done 7 ways) -- American (Burgers, Philly's, etc) -- Italian (Pizza, Pasta) AND Greek! (Souvlaki, Gyro -- sandiwices and meat platters).

We split the poutine -- it was what I remember Poutine being like in a typical greasy spoon place in Montreal. :) The fries were good, cheese curds perfect (maybe I'd cut them a bit smaller) and the gravy spot on, although I personally like my Poutine made with St. Huberts BBQ gravy most) ..

We then split the large Gyro meat platter. HUGE!! Enough for 2 or 3 people I would venture. Served with lemon potatoes (nom!), greek salad (very fresh), and also rice pilaf! The meat was flavorerful -- my wife would have liked it more "shaved" style like in a Gyro sandwich instead of the larger chunks, but that was the only negative.

Total dinner was less than $20 for both of us and left overs. NICE!

If in the area and wanting some decent food (didn't try any of the Za's or burgers, etc. lots to try) I would certainly recommend this friendly clean establishment!

4  Thank SJM-Weasel