“Great dinner!!”
Review of Slappy's Chicken

Slappy's Chicken
Ranked #40 of 694 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

My family eats there regularly but it was my first time. The meal was fantastic!! Potato salad was to die for. Can't wait to go back !!!

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Nothing enjoyable here. From the bad food to the "visual and background sounds" it is not worthy of a repeat.

We're not sure why so many good/great reviews as our experience was really poor. They had 2 chances to make things right and still did not. You'd also think that eating in would get you really hot, fresh food, but not so much. Ours was barely warm, dry and not tasty on its own. Since the place was dead, they had little reason to give poor service and poor food.

For our 1 plate (shared it), the menu listed a dark meat plate so that was ordered. To our amazement the cook did not know which pieces were dark (really???). We had to take it back as the first round was cold AND not white and then we still got a white piece - 1 out of 2 pieces.

The sauce seems to have: 1) Too much "smoke" favor or 2) cigarette ashes in it(No, this is not a joke or typo. As a former smoker, that is just what it tasted like.) Maybe others are used to the smell/taste? It is only a guess, but we did not like anything about it... :- /

Maybe we were there on a very bad day for them? Otherwise, I urge them to have another sauce available and a cook that really knows chicken. And, they could go further by not having so many images of death as well as heavy metal blaring in the background. I don't enjoy listening to someone cussing at me anytime, but especially while I eat.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

So I went to Slappy's Chicken. The potato salad was great. The collards were great. The chicken was great too. It wasn't my favorite of the Keaton's style around but it was darn good. I like the sauce at Ted's a little better, not as sweet. (I like vinegar, but that's me) Slappy's has a much better atmosphere than Ted's. I much prefer tattoos and goth-ish stuff over red. Slappy's sauce reminded me of Frankie's Chicken in Salisbury NC. A long closed great and famous chicken spot. Lots Worcestershire sauce like Frankie's but Slappy's will slap you with some sriracha or something hot in there. The source, Keaton's Chicken in Cool Springs, still reigns in this fried, dipped chicken thing I dearly love. Back to Slappy's. The chicken has an amazing crunch, with the sauce going on, that is very attractive. They are the crunchiest for sure and it's good. I had some clean chicken bones on my plate. With these young chicken dudes cooking I think the future for chicken around here is pretty bright. Man those sides were killin'. Go there.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Slappy's is a whole in the wall place that has southern style chicken. I ordered the breast and wing plate that included two sides and a roll. Chicken was incredible with a spice and sweet flavor that was not too spicy but just right. I ordered the collard greens (best I have ever had with bacon added) and baked beans. Go for the food and not the atmosphere. Staff are friendly and this is a local place. Recommend a visit!

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Good local chicken shack. Spicy! Do not miss the cheese it mac and cheese and the ice box pie. We have been there and gave done take out but the chicken is crisper when you get it there.