“A Hidden Gem!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“A Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Hands down the best Asian restaurant in Wilmington! The sushi is delicious and the bento boxes are delectable, not to mention every other menu item I've tried. This is the place if you want REAL Asian food in a quiet, non trough-like, beautifully decorated atmosphere. The Macadamia Roll is so different and is melt in your mouth good. I usually order it as a dessert sushi, Mmmmm.
The owners are as nice as they come and are always trying out great new dishes.

I wish it was more visible in town so that more people knew about it.

• Visited November 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Best sushi restaurant in town.”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This small family-owned restaurant is tucked away in a shopping center by the University, but worth the trouble finding it.

I wasn't much of a sushi fan when I first went here, but I have quickly become one, but still haven't been able to go through the entire menu yet!

The owner (and sushi chef) is always there greeting you at the door and often surprises your meal and gives you something he wants you to just try! (like a spicy crab salad)

In a city with way too many Japanese restaurants for its size, this small restaurant is the best. If want one of those corral-sized buffets, this isn't the place to go. But if you want a wide variety of fresh sushi (and other Japanese delights like Tempura), this is the place for you. Check out the lunch specials for even more affordable options.

Decently priced, close to the campus and a quiet atmosphere makes this a must try in Wilmington.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Terry M
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
“Definitely Five Stars!”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have had this review on my to-do list for far too long. When I have a truly great experience at a restaurant I like to share and support that business! Wasabi was one of those great experiences.

The restaurant was a little hard to find in a crowded strip mall that seemed a little run down in places. The front of the restaurant is nothing fancy at all but inside is where it got great! There were only a few occupied tables and we were seated immediately. The decor is inviting and the place was spotless. Our server was lightning quick and very friendly. I was in heaven to discover that they offer Korean dishes on the menu! I am a Korean food junkie but it is hard to find in this area. I ordered the bulgoki and kim chi and it was stellar! The portion was huge, the price was very reasonable and the taste... Let's just say I am craving it again right now just thinking about it! I was very pleasantly surprised by just how good it was.

My husband and I split two sushi rolls and I really wish I could remember which two we ordered. (Darn this old age affecting my memory!). The rolls had a spectacular presentation and they were huge. Best of all, the taste rivals any big city fine dining sushi restaurant anywhere. In fact, I would say it is in my top three sushi experiences of all time and my husband and I love to scout out sushi restaurants so we have eaten at more than I could possibly count. The sushi artist, I do call him an artist because the presentation was so beautiful I almost hated to eat it, was friendly and personally worked the room after his orders were sent out.

I have high hopes that more people will support this restaurant. It wasn't very busy which concerns me because far too many great restaurants have closed in Wilmington because of a less than great location. I am still sad about losing the Korean BBQ!

The bottom line is this... Wasabi has some of the best tasting Korean dishes I have ever had. Their sushi is better than what you would expect at a fancy big city sushi restaurant but their prices are much, much better. Our portions were huge, more than we could eat. The service was fast and friendly, the restaurant is clean and inviting (on the inside!). We will not only be back for more but I very much look forward to it!

A definite 5 star experience! Thank you!

• Visited July 2011
“Genuinely Great”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I have eaten sushi at all types of places and for all kinds of prices but it wasn't until I had sushi at Wasabi that I truly believed I had tried great sushi. As others have mentioned, CJ the chef is a great man and has a great family. I took friends form Boston here and they were equally impressed not only by the sushi, but the incredible hospitality.

Visited August 2011
Richlands, North Carolina
“awesome food”
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Where to start.... It took me a little while to find the place but it was worth it. The restuarant its self is very well set up the sushi is very fresh and tasty.The prices are very reasonable not to mention when our Sushi cheff came to our table to bring me some sushi that I didnt order so I could try it . He is a great Cheff and very very good at what he doese. The service was great and was very quick with everything. I will make the drive from Jacksonville just to enjoy the service and the food.

• Visited June 2011