All reviews quiche honor system fresh fruit georgia o'keefe kipling suite great location for walking b bs beer wine breakfast was delicious first floor pleasure of staying romantic getaway stayed for two nights stayed longer chain hotel north carolina restaurants and shops
Reviewed 9 May 2017

I stayed here for a girlfriend getaway - we chose it because of the location right in town. The rooms that we chose are on the second floor. Very spacious and well appointed, though not modernized. The beds are comfortable and each of these rooms featured a jacuzzi tub that we didn't use.

My only complaint was a light that shone in the window all night. When I asked if it could be turned off the next night the response was essentially "can't you unscrew a light bulb?" which I thought was not particularly kind or helpful.

Because of the location right on Front Street, there is quite a bit of road noise as well as lights coming in the windows so plan accordingly with earplugs and eye masks.

There is a nice breakfast each morning and coffee in the rooms. Overall it was a good experience and I would definitely stay there again.

Room tip: If accessibility is an issue be sure to mention that up front.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2017

Stayed for one night in March of this year (on a weekend...and they were nice enough to
let us book for only one night since we made a last minute reservation). Very cute inn with a great location, close to restaurants and many beautiful, historic homes. Room was clean and bright with high ceilings. Breakfast the next morning was lovely! We would stay again!

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2017

We found Front Street Inn through a B&B site. We reserved two weekend nights here in April 2017. The location is excellent, one block from Water St., and the building is historic. We were disappointed to find the staff and overall atmosphere here less than warm. Not at all like the B&B experiences we've had elsewhere.

At no time did any staff member say anything along the lines of "Welcome". When we found someone to check us in, it was evident that the task she was engaged in at the time was a priority and we had interrupted her.

After our first night, we decided to eat the cost of the second night and stay elsewhere. The most conversation we had with either owner or any staff member was at checkout regarding our reason for leaving a day early.

If you are expecting a traditional B&B breakfast, you will likely be disappointed. Despite the owner's statement to the contrary, it's the very definition of a continental breakfast: Serve yourself during the time frame it's available, includes toaster items and spreads, juices, fresh fruit, hot coffee, cereal, yogurts, etc. No eggs or proteins of any sort.

Front Street Inn is more like a hotel experience, albeit an expensive one, and not even as welcoming as the hotel we moved to the second night. For the money, better locations right on the river, with better accommodations, are readily available. Even on a busy holiday weekend, we had no trouble finding a room on the river, for less money, with friendly staff, and better breakfast. We do not plan to return to Front Street Inn.

We rated the Sleep Quality as Poor due to the noise from traffic all night on Front Street. Our room was two room back from from the front of the inn, and the noise from passing cars sounded like the windows in our room were open when they were closed.

We rated the Service as Poor because, in terms of the friendliness of the staff, it was not even average, which was the next available rating.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank everett330
Richard S, Owner at Front Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

We thank our guests for their feedback. Since we strive to make every guest experience a pleasant experience with 100% satisfaction, I personally apologize if you felt anything but welcome here at the Front Street Inn. Moreover, I'm sorry to hear you had a less-than-wonderful night sleep. Had you given us the opportunity to make other arrangements for you, like a suite in the rear of the inn, we would have exceeded your expectations!

Although we are centrally located in the heart of Wilmington's historic downtown business and entertainment district, and some of our rooms face Front Street, we have had very few (perhaps one or two) "concerns" about the street noise. Most of our guests who stay in those rooms comment about how little street noise they actually hear despite being so close to the road.

Some of your other comments, however, are quite perplexing to me. First, The Front Street Inn has operated for nearly 25 years as a bed & breakfast inn. If, by "traditional" you mean we all eat together at one large table at one appointed time, and our rooms are filled with Victorian fixtures and lace...then by your definition we most certainly are NOT a "traditional" b&b. Our style is much more eclectic and, as some have noted, is reminiscent of Key West or a casual European-inspired inn.

Second, WE DO have a wonderful homemade full buffet breakfast conveniently available from 8AM to 10AM daily. Calling it a "continental breakfast ...with toaster items" is not only a fabrication, it's insulting to me and to all the reviewers who rave about the breakfast. Perhaps you felt hyperbole would strengthen your case? As you can read from other Trip Advisor reviews, the breakfast ALWAYS includes eggs and other protein (usually in the form of a quiche), among other favorites. I have to say...that comment, especially, is just not accurate (again, as the majority of other Trip Advisor reviews will attest).

I know potential guests will read all the reviews and judge for themselves if this bed & breakfast inn and boutique hotel is the right choice for them. I thank Tripadvisor for the opportunity to give my perspective!

Reviewed 16 November 2016

We had the pleasure of staying at the Front Street Inn as a Birthday getaway! We loved everything about it. The room was amazing, ( we had the Hemingway ) from the bed to the balcony it was just perfect! Polly's breakfast in the morning was fantastic, fresh, not to be missed. The location is within walking distance to everything, and we loved this history of the building itself. Dick and Polly make you feel like your part of the family! We can wait to go back and visit again!

Room tip: We had the Hemingway which is on the 2nd floor in the Front with a private balcony and we Loved it!
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank ShipandChell
Reviewed 18 October 2016

I have visited the Front Street Inn several times and it gets better each time! The hospitality and kindness are unparalleled. Not only was my room request accommodated, but my dietary restrictions were also met. They also asked about all my activities and offered encouragement and support when I was making a presentation for my job. By the time I left, I felt more like family than I have anywhere else. I am excited that I get to stay here regularly and I can't recommend the Front Street Inn highly enough!

Room tip: All rooms are unique, fun, and comfortable!
Date of stay: October 2016