“Accomdated our large family party with ease”

Tarantelli's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #116 of 741 Restaurants in Wilmington
Reviewed 8 May 2018

My littlest cousin was graduating college and this was her restaurant of choice to celebrate after the ceremony. When we arrived they had our table perfectly set and ready to welcome us. Our waiter was patient and caring - he greeted us upon seating and took our drink orders. My family can be a little complicated when it comes to ordering and he handled it phenomenally. I ordered the scallop dish over risotto. I am a seafood lover, coming from Baltimore and New England, so I was pleased with the sear on the scallop. However, the risotto lacked seasoning and overall flavor and personally, I thought, it was not cooked enough; too toothy. That could be kicked up several notches. Two of my cousins split the pasta dish that is prepared with bourbon in the gigantic Parmesan wheel. Preparation was very neat and the pasta was decently tasty. A few ordered pizzas, which looked delicious. The spinach artichoke dip was extremely loose and did not appeal to my eye at all. I did taste it to see if that would change my mind, and it did have a deeper flavor than expected, but still, you eat with your eyes first - yuck. The calamari was great as was the seared peach salad. I would go back, but would try other local digs first.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

The food is consistently excellent - their seasonal dishes are amazing!! The atmosphere is very nice and everyone is so friendly. I highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank debanderson90808
Reviewed 13 April 2018

The place is quite lively and noisy, and lends to bigger groups, I suppose (at least on that night). This was not the impression of the type of restaurant we thought it to be, given from the outside the building looks so stately.
We each ordered a glass of wine. Mine was bad. The server offered me “something else.” I’d actually like what I ordered thank you, but considering he said this, I figured that they didn’t have another bottle of it. I thought this was odd. So, I asked him to bring me what my partner had. I actually do know wine well, and it was clear he brought me something else. (I had already tasted my partner’s wine.) Sure enough, on the bill afterwards, it was a completely different wine than what he had.
We shared the parmigiano wheel, which was exciting as far as an idea goes, but unfortunately falls flat of being able to be pulled off well. The pasta arrived cooked separately at the table, and the wheel had already finished flaming by a good 3-5 minutes. Therefore our dishes were not even lukewarm, they were actually cool. I must say the flavour was good. They also tell this cheesy story of how the dish came about (never mind that it would be a total sacrilege in Italy to do this to parmigiano-I am actually from Italy). I was annoyed that I heard our server's version, and then a slightly different version at another table, leading me to think that they likely just say whatever BS comes to mind. (In addition, if you do a quick google, you find a particular restaurant does this exact same thing, therefore…draw your own conclusions-but it’s not a family invention.)
A detail that was slightly annoying was that with Italian food, you always have bread. We had to ask for bread, and this was even more annoying as we looked around and saw all tables had bread, therefore meaning our server must have forgotten.
Finally, this was meant to be a birthday celebration, though only in couple form. We had a reservation in which we specifically had stated it was a birthday, and never throughout the night did we have anyone comment on that, or wish the happy event. Not too serious a detail, but still a little disappointing...
In conclusion, the entire experience and food was "meh". I think they try too hard to be fancy and over the top, and don’t have the staff or ingredients to back it up. In all, I'd be willing to give them one more chance…maybe.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I came here on our anniversary looking for authentic Italian food and was given this suggestion from a coworker. We started off with some simple calamari and was cooked perfectly and came out in a timely fashion. We had ordered the shrimp fradiavlo and the mushroom porcini. When the entrees arrived, the flavor was good, but the entrees came swimming in sauce with very minimal pasta. Usually would not bother me but given the price point and their clientele, you expect more. An adjustment on the pasta to sauce ratio and plate presentation go a long way in the eyes of a fine diners such as ourselves. We will definitely try again but will be trying other Italian options in Wilmington as a comparison before we return.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

My first time dining at Tarantelli's and it may be my last. I was there accompanied by a group of seven other St. Patrick's day celebrants. The restaurant itself is fantastic and the staff extremely friendly as well as efficient. But my food, oh my food was not good and that goes for my wife's food as well. I had the veal piccata....mostly pasta in a heavy sauce mixed in with very little pieces of shaved slices of veal. Not the way veal piccata is served in South Philly or any other Italian restaurant where I have dined. My wife had the sausage, broccolini and pasta...equally poor. Broccolini over done, dish very greasy. In summary, atmosphere very nice...go there for drinks and appetizer (the calamari was very good).

1  Thank Bill K