“Service was laughable”

Tarantelli's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #124 of 749 Restaurants in Wilmington
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

I was so excited to finally get to try this place. It’s hard to get my entire family and friends on the same page when it comes to dining out which we do often. I finally convinced them to try my food which is Italian. So we called ahead to make sure that it was OK to bring and nonalcoholic beer since they don’t have any. Only one person in my party drinks nonalcoholic beer. The rest of us we’re happy to order drinks. The owner was very niceOn the phone and told me it would be OK and he would make an exception Since it was only one person. OK so we arrive there on time and we’re promptly seated. My cousin ordered a very specific whiskey and she had no idea what he was talking about. Do you spell the name for her and she said she would check to see if they had it. My other cousin ordered ketel 1... once again she had no idea if it existed at their bar. I ordered a Sambuca… She was clueless. We were all just looking at each other wondering if this was some kind of a joke. 15 minutes later we got our drinks. We ordered appetizers she had to shuffle through a bunch of notes to be able to tell us what certain things were or what they included.This was the same story with the entrées. Perhaps she was new but if that’s the case she should’ve had somebody assisting her. When I ordered my entrée (bistecca)I asked her what vegetables were options. She told me whatever you want. So I asked for green beans and she said “we don’t have green beans”. So I said what do you have? She wants again said whatever you want. I finally recalled seeing broccoli Rabe on the menu so I asked for that with my bistecca entree. So she had the nerve to look at me and say “so you want broccoli rabe for your entrée?”... I said ummm no, I want that WITH my entree. She looked totally confused. Once again everyone at my table awkwardly exchanged glances. At that point I was getting so annoyed I wanted to get up and leave. But I did not want to cause a scene so I kept quiet. This type of exchange between the server and different people at our table took place throughout the night. She was absolutely clueless about the menu the preparation drinks.As for the food it was really good. The broccoli RAbe actually sucked though...It definitely was not prepared correctly and was extremely salty. It’s just crazy to me that this is supposed to be an authentic Italian restaurant and they can’t prepare broccoli rabe correctly.She never bothered to ask me what temperature I want in my steak cooked and someone from the kitchen came to ask me and I told him well done and he gave me a side eye. Rude. It’s too bad because the owner seems super nice and the location and atmosphere seemed nice but $250 later I’m still fuming about the bad service. I won’t be back. There are too many restaurants around to be insulted with poor, unknowledgeable servers that expect a 20% tip on top of the bill. I have no problem tipping but I resent being expected to tip people who didn’t provide service properly.

3  Thank sicilianprincess1

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

After walking all over the historic section of downtown Wilmington, we ended up eating here across the street from our hotel. The food was very fresh and everything is house-made. You can get half portions of the pasta which was plenty for us. The desserts are amazing!

2  Thank Julie D
Reviewed 24 October 2017

I was participating in Ironman 70.3 North Carolina and wanted Italian before my race. Tarantelli's was within walking distance of our AirBNB. They had outside seating and it was just a wonderful night we sat outside and had the whole patio to ourselves. Dinner was delicious!! Would good back there too!!!!

1  Thank CTB1965
Reviewed 24 October 2017

Overall, Tarantelli's was a very good place for a meal. The atmosphere was very fun and cool, located in downtown Wilmington. They offer outdoor seating which I imagine is pretty awesome when its a little warmer out.

Had a Bada-bing Cherry Mojito and it was pretty tasty. My dad had a G&T and mom had a cosmo. thumbs up from both of them.

They make their own bread.....and it is absolutely delicious.

I started with the mozarella tomato salad, which I am sad to say was only okay. Partially my fault, because tomatoes are not the best in October, but I have definitely had better mozarella. My parents had a Ceaser and a garden salad and they both enjoyed it.

My main course was a baked penne bolognese, which I am sure someone's grandmother was cooking for like 2 days before it came to my plate. It was transcendent. My dad had veal marsala with the fresh taglatelli. he licked the plate clean. My mom had the shrimp and pancetta carbonara, also with the fresh pasta. She enjoyed it very much.

For dessert, I ordered the zeppolles, which were fantastic, but I had a few gripes. They offered to make it a la mode....cause yeah, ice cream. It came out with this dinky little scoop of vanilla, which they charged $3 for. I don't think it would have been so bad if not for the 8....yes, 8 huge zeppolles they brought out. Way too much. Between the 3 of us....we ate half of them. That being said....they were really good. They were definitely freshly fried and nice and fluffy.

Overall, I had a good experience.

1  Thank Jessica H
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I was traveling alone. So I ate at the bar. I cannot remember the name of the server, but she was amazing and is an asset to this place. I had the caprese salad, spaghetti and meatballs, some dessert and wine. Everything was wonderful. Met the owner who is a very nice guy.

1  Thank bucks17