“Excellent dinner”
Review of Grace On 2nd

Grace On 2nd
Ranked #280 of 769 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Description: Grace on 2nd has live music nights, fresh seafood, and delicious burgers!
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

We were staying across the street at Marriott Courtyard and didn't feel like going far for dinner, so went to Grace on 2nd. This turned out to be an excellent choice. We were there on Thurs nite when they offered half price appetizers, so that is what we had. We each had a crab cake appetizer which was two small crab cakes made of just crab. Excellent texture and flavor without fillers. Served with a tangy remoulade. My wife also had the beer cheese soup. It was a large portion which we thought was a bowl, but was actually a cup. Thick and cheesy but a little heavy on the salt. I had the shrimp cocktail which was much bigger than expected. A plate full of nice size grilled shrimp, properly cooked, so not tough or limp. I also ordered the red potato as a side. This was lightly seasoned, thin slices of potato. We heard several comments from a couple of other diners who also spoke highly of the crab cakes. I would dine here again, though the decor could use some updating.

Date of visit: December 2016

Reviewed 21 December 2016

We ate here a couple months ago and it was good. This time the owner was in the kitchen and it was a terrible meal. We met him the first time he was nice and energized it was a new restaurant he started. Now he was out of oysters he specializes in local fresh seafood so that didn't make us happy so we ordered the shrimp some relative of his has a shrimp boat. Well they were tough probably because he cooked all sizes together. They tasted old and the oil he fried them in was terrible. The hush puppies were soaked in grease. The coleslaw was hot. The whole meal was cheap and greasy. I asked for different coleslaw because I thought I might get sick eating it. The waitress brought me fresh and said it gets hot waiting for the other items to get done sitting under the warmer. Why would you ever put coleslaw under the warmer. Use a separate plate. Anyway we'll not be going back. Hopefully he'll read this and clean up his act.

Date of visit: December 2016
2  Thank smsAustin
Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

My wife and I visited this restaurant this evening. We were kind of hesitant going in. We don't go to the bars. No problem with a bar in a restaurant. We were greeted and seated right away.
The owner and waitress were very friendly, great conversation. We ordered crab dip as an appetizer. It was some of the best I have ever had. Large quantity, great taste, no strong after taste. Entrees ordered were fried oysters and shrimp, which were jumbo and crab cakes. These crab cakes were terrific. No added fillers that I could tell. Full of crab meat.
The menu had many choices, in case you do not eat seafood. In fact, I saw many other entrees I will be trying. I look forward to returning to Grace on Second soon.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

Soooo I'm glad I witheld my review until I was finished with lunch. It started out rocky. Their tea machine is broken so that was a no go. I asked for a blackened steak tip salad but was told beef is no longer offered on the menu. So instead I settled on the shrimp po boy with sweet potato fries. It was ABSOLUTELY DIVINE. The shrimp was so fresh and plentiful and the hoagie style bun was soft. The sweet potato fries were a bit too greasy for my taste.

Hubby had the Wilmington burger on a brioche bun. The presentation isn't much as shown in my pic but he said it was good. The fries were just meh.

As much as I loved the shrimp po boy their crab cake appetizer was heavenly. So much crab, seasoned perfectly and fried to a golden brown. The remoulade wasn't anything special but the cakes were so delicious covering them in sauce would've been a travesty.

Lastly the decor ...more of a neighborhood pub bar than dining restaurant. The seating is torn at many of the booths. The decor is a mix of brick and an eclectic combo of loud colors. It is VERY dark without much lighting.

Our server was very good and attentive.

I suggest looking past the decor and going in for great food.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch and it was great. We ordered the shrimp and grits special that was amazing. We also ordered a burger that was one of the best burgers we ever had. We will definitely be going back. The waitress was very attentive and super nice. They also have a great chef in this restaurant.

Date of visit: October 2016