“Don't waste your money or time coming here. It is A-W-F-U-L” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Don't waste your money or time coming here. It is A-W-F-U-L”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We found this motel on the Garmin and selected it because we could earn points on their Wyndham travel card for Days Inn. Upon registering, I gave the clerk my credit card, drivers license and Wyndham Rewards card. She took the first two, but left the Wyndham card on the counter. I reminded her to add the points to my account # on the card, and she told me that she could not assign me points because “we really are not a Days Inn, we are between names right now, but if you call the manger back in three days, he can give you points on a Choice Hotels card”. I thought that was odd, because there are several huge Days Inn signs on the drive on the way up the mountain to the Days Inn, and everything in the lobby for check-in had the Days Inn logo on it. I mean, why would you say you were not a Days Inn when you are sporting that logo on everything? I asked about the signs that quite obviously read “Days Inn”, and she replied again “we are not really a Days Inn, and you cannot even find us as Days Inn listed on the internet”. So, by this time, I had signed my credit card receipt for my room, and noticed that the receipt had a Days Inn logo on it about the size of the palm of my hand, and asked again, “If you are not a Days Inn, why is the logo on my receipt that I just signed?” At that point, she told me that she was going to give me a refund, and I could stay somewhere else. I eagerly agreed with her that was the best thing to do. She asked for my credit card again to “process your refund”, so I gave it back to her. When I pulled out my reading glasses to read the refund receipt before signing it, I noticed that there was NO notation of a refund; instead, what I saw was yet another charge for my room, so she was trying to charge me TWICE for a room that she was not intending to rent to me. I called that to her attention, and she quickly developed a bad attitude and was hateful, but she did process my full refund for the two room charges. I told her that I would call and talk with a manager about tonight, and she quickly told me “Go right ahead.” I travel around the world frequently and have never been told that my money was not wanted as a motel or hotel patron, rather, my business has always been highly solicited. I suspected that something was strange and fishy. So, when we checked in to the Best Western (2.6 miles away, and much better motel), I pulled out my Ipad and checked for reviews on the Days Inn, Waynesboro, NC. The reviews for this motel are not highly rated, with many more incredibly poor reviews than the occasional unsatisfied customer. Upon further looking on the internet, I also found that someone was disgruntled enough to make a video of the poorly kept grounds and exterior of the motel and posted it on YouTube. The clerk, who was not wearing a nametag, but was female, with black hair and brown eyes, was probably the subject of several other posts who mentioned that the front desk clerk was “unfriendly” and other like adjectives. I also found out, through another post, that the female desk clerk is related to the manager, so that is why she was probably most comfortable with me calling the manager. And when I saw how hostile the manger treated other guests when they complained, as documented in other posts that reviewed this motel, I knew my efforts there would be wasted. So, today I called Days Inn Corporate and filed a formal complaint. I would encourage all other guests who are not satisfied to do the same thing. I also found out from corporate that this location truly is, as of our phone call today, a Days Inn, verifying that the desk clerk lied to me about their status/name. I would not encourage anyone to waste their money there, as there are plenty of other motels in the area who have friendly staff who know how to work with the public and show courtesy to

Room Tip: Find a different motel. It has poor management and exceptionally poor customer service and relations...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynn S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Pittsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have read the other reviews and am quite surprised. I stay here 3 times a year, and the rooms have been clean and I have slept great.

The Pro's-
1) I have only stayed in the king rooms, but the mattresses are of the quality of a luxury hotel. This is probably the most important factor for me choosing a motel so this is a big plus for me.

2) I have never been to a hotel or motel anywhere with a quicker check-in system. I have often time showed up after midnight and I really appreciate this.

3) The views out the windows are amazing.

The con-

The breakfast is pretty basic and below average. However my experience is breakfasts at this price level are average at best so take your savings and by breakfast at Waffle House!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Joel F
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

after previous not really good experience with Days Inn in Athens I wasn't expecting too much but they surprised me again. from first look the room looked ok but later we found out that some wall plugs weren't working, aswell as one light and fridge. the lock was broken, one drawer was missing and chairs were dirty, aswell as the top blankets. don't mention that the water in pool was green. maybe we just didn't have a luck with the room but I'm not pretty sure about that.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iv O

Travellers are raving about these Waynesville hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

I recently spent a night here while traveling. I wouldn't stay in this hotel again although it wasn't terrible. I was under the impression that they served breakfast. They didn't have as much as coffee to offer their guests in the lobby, no less breakfast. The room smelled strongly of soap, probably rug shampoo which was overwhelming. I could not find a working drink machine or snack machine anywhere on site. Tap water was it. On the bright side, the bed was comfortable and I liked that the room was basically clean. They provided a hair dryer and soap, shampoo and some other basics. The office folks were distant and not really welcoming. With just a few improvements, it could be a much better experience.

Shirley G

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sag1
lexington, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

My fiance and I stayed here the first week in January. The room was very clean. Although the hotel showed a little age, it has apparently had a few upgrades. The beds were comfortable. The shower was hot and I found it difficult to get out of. The heat was more than adequate. the rooms were large with a mini fridge and microwave. The drive way in was steep and curvy, (glad I didn't have to drive it) but the view makes it more than worth it. The desk clerk at check in wasn't very inviting but the manager seemed to have a lot of pride in the property. Our next trip to the area will find us booked back in at the Days Inn with a view.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
4.5 km away
9.2 km away
Four Seasons Inn
Four Seasons Inn
#11 of 26 in Maggie Valley

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK